Entertaining Angels Unaware!!!

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Entertaining Angels Unaware

Often we are swept up in the day-to-day forgetting God’s universe exists and that it is very real and active all around us.

Sometimes we just need a moment of the supernatural. We need to be taken to the realm of God to be encouraged and energized.

Today I hope you are inspired and you feel a spark in your faith. Would you recognize an angel if you saw one?

We often don’t recognize when God sends an angelic being to interact with us.

However. On rare occasions we glimpse the supernatural. And it is awesome.

The following is a true story. I met Judith through Bible study at my church several years ago. I talked with her yesterday and this is her encounter.

Judith: The day was sunny and warm. Our small group of women from church just finished our Bible study reading for the morning. We sat on a bench under a shade tree at the park. The study always concluded with prayer.

One by one each woman prayed for our group, our study or whatever was on her heart. My heart began to beat faster as my turn approached. I heard Val whisper, amen. I knew it was my turn. I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t pray out loud. I have never been able to pray in English in front of others and I know it was wrong of me to think so, but I was slightly intimidated to pray in front of these women – pillars of the church.

Time ticked by. Silence. Then someone said, “Amen.” Whew! Off the hook again this time. I just can’t pray in front of others. I can pray in Spanish all day long but English, my second language; it was too much to ask.

Well, smiles were all around as I hugged everyone. We started for our cars in the lot next to the park. That was when my good friend Val, suggested we walk the track which circled the small man-made lake to burn a few calories.

I was all for that, so we walked and talked. Two women walking---- We chatted about prayer. Val knew it was impossible for me to pray out loud. She was so kind and encouraging not ever wanting to make me feel uncomfortable.

Val began to pray during our walk. I always love spending time with her. She could pray down heaven at times.

Our walk was nearing the end and I hugged Val and headed toward the parking lot. I looked back and Val was back on the track. I had time and wanted to burn a few more calories so I turned around and began walking toward her.

From the other side of the park a man was also approaching Val. He was lanky and tall, an older gentleman. He was wearing a running suit.

He was walking and I was walking and the three of us met at the same time. He looked directly at Val and said in a loud and commanding voice, “I heard you praying.” He looked at me then back to Val and said, “Pray for me.”

Immediately Val began to pray. Her voice was strong and I began to feel myself as if in a movie. What was happening was Surreal. I listened.

As soon as Val finished praying the stately looking man turned to me, “Now can you pray for me?”

I began to shake. I was so nervous but as I stood there these words sprang into my heart, I cannot deny this man. I must pray for him. I reached for his hand and that of Val.

We closed the circle and I began to pray tentatively, in English. To this day I cannot tell you what words left my mouth.

As I whispered the words I felt a strange feeling overwhelm me. Peace, joy, happiness invaded every part of my body and spirit.

Surreal became even more dreamlike. I felt tears fill my eyes even thought they were squeezed shut. What was this?

I finished praying and looked up. The dignified man smiled and said, “Thank you and now I want to pray for you Judith.”

How I wish I could tell you exactly what he said. I was so overwhelmed I can only recall pieces of his prayer.

He recited names of women from the Bible such as, “May Judith have the strength of Esther. May Judith posses the wisdom of Sarah. May Judith have the compassion of Mary.” This prayer was unlike any prayer I have ever heard. He went on, “Judith will spread God’s word though out all the nations.”

At this point I was weeping, Val was weeping, and the prayer ended. I opened my eyes and looked into his face and whispered, Thank you.” He squeezed my hand and then let go. I turned to hug Val. We grabbed each other in our tears and hugged each other hard. I turned back to speak to this amazing man and he was gone.

We were standing in the middle of the park. I looked away for three seconds. Gone. My prayer life has since changed, little by little.

I still don’t like to pray out loud but I am no longer afraid. We serve an amazing God. He took time to send an angel to me to encourage me. I will never forget this encounter and give all honor and glory to Jesus Christ.

Lynn: I know I do a great injustice to the retelling of this fantastic encounter. Judith said she can’t properly explain the feeling that overtook her during this prayer. I believe she experienced the vibrant presence of perfect love.

If you are discouraged this cold February day, take heart. God sees you. He is not unaware of your life. He sends angels to protect and to guide all of His children.

Remember, Psalm 91:9 If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter,

10 no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home.

11 For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go.

12 They will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.

It is my prayer that you encounter the Lord in such a profound way in 2010, that you will never be the same....Author's last name unknown...Lynn...

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”