What is spirituality ?

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
LyndaLu

What is spirituality ?

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Hello All:

What is the definition of "spirituality" ? Can you be "spiritual" without God ? Does it always involve a "higher power" ? Thanks for your input. I am looking for enlightenment.

LyndaLu

forever young 06

Re: What is spirituality ?

Post by forever young 06 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:38 am

to me no. but to others I am sure you can get many answers. why would you want to be spiritual with out God? I believe there is healing thru Jesus Christ because he died for us and by his shed blood we are saved and have healing and all we need. I know a lot of people don't believe that and that is okay as we are free to believe what ever we want to. I know at one time you were looking into going to church and looking for your spiritual side. I am still hanging on I know bad things happen to Christians and there is a lot I don't understand but I am hanging in there.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Hello foreveryoung:

Thank you so much for sharing. :)
I hope to hear what others have to say about this subject in the near future.

LyndaLu

munchkin51

Post by munchkin51 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 pm

I do believe that to be spiritual you need a higher power, whom ever or who ever that may be. I am a very active Christian. It is my faith that has gotten me though my depression and anxiety. I know that is not for everyone though. I feel that all faith a valid. Good luck in your journey.

Munchkin51

bradley1960

Post by bradley1960 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm

LyndaLu,
Since spirituality involves belief that a part of us survives after our physical body ceases to live, it usually does involve a higher power. That power which created everything we know in this life, must be higher than our own power or we would have nothing left to discover or understand. If there was no higher power than ourselves the universe could not exist as we have no knowledge to keep solar systems or galaxies in order, yet they have survived for eons before humans were ever present in the universe. So even if you choose to believe that chaos created this existence, it is still a higher power because it created something from nothing or substance from energy, which we cannot do. Spirituality also involves belief and/or faith, as we have no proof. I think the " Great Ghandi" ( an illusionist that had a million dollar check written to anyone who he could not prove was not using psychic powers to create an occurrence) said it best, " I have no proof there is a God. I have even less proof that there isn't a God". ( By the way, last I heard no one had collected that check, and I'm not sure that man is still alive).
I would love to hear your insight and belief on spirituality if you are comfortable sharing that with me, sincerely, Bradley

bradley1960

Post by bradley1960 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:16 pm

LyndaLu, Foreveryoung, Munchkin and anyone else who reads this; May we choose to never grow up or grow old, in exchange for simply continuing to grow until we no longer have a pulse.

Posted with unconditional love, Bradley

GIL

Post by GIL » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:39 am

Greetings bradley1960,

You said, "Spirituality involves belief that a part of us survives after our physical body ceases to live." I was wondering where you get this idea from. Thanks for sharing.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Hello bradley1960:
I certainly have a lot to think about after reading your post !
Thanks for all of your help. :)
LyndaLu

bradley1960

Post by bradley1960 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 pm

hi Gil;
I get this belief from looking at all the things I read on things we as humans discover, prove to ourselves then a few years later prove we didn't know all the facts. And I won't go back as far as proving the earth isn't flat, but you get the idea. There is more out there than we will ever learn in this lifetime. There is one energy out there that keeps all the order we know in order. Yet none of us has gained the ability to control that order. And there is still more than one opinion on what or who that energy is amongst human beings. Yet that energy keeps no records of good or bad etc., it simply allows everything without judgment. What is just happens and it is all a part of everything we know, Without a human scale to rate it. And our discoveries show evidence that humans that become more aware of this energy become less effected by those things that humans measure in general as bad. Therefore I conclude there has to be more to life than just this life.
I would enjoy hearing why you asked me that question and your belief/ideas on this. Always love a discussion that makes me contemplate what I think I know. I can enlarge on these ideas if you desire. we can go to chat or pm if it gets too lengthy for this thread.

looking forward to your reasoning, Bradley

bradley1960

Post by bradley1960 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Lyndalu;

Read my response to Gil for a little more insight to my thinking. Also do think about it. Then be true to yourself and use only what you can honestly apply to yourself. You are the only one who has to look in your mirror and like who you see. It is your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you. Would love to hear more of your thoughts on spirituality. Never blindly accept any thought. There is a part of you ( even if you have buried it deep within yourself) that knows what you and only you need.

Sincerely, Bradley

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”