Trusting God

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
MirandaLey

Trusting God

Post by MirandaLey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 pm

I've read over and over in the Bible, God says, Jesus says, FEAR NOT!!

I know it's hard not to let doubts and fears take over, but for me, when I'm feeling overwhelmed, I close my eyes and in my heart I say, "God, this is worrying me. But I'm giving it to you. I'm letting you take over. Because I know you don't want me to worry. You've instructed me not to worry. So I'm letting you take it from here."

I used to pray for things -- such as my husband becoming a Christian -- and say, "God, please let this happen," and then I would add, "but not in a bad way!" Because I was already planning a scene in my mind where I had died in a tragic way and in his grief my husband found God. I don't need to tell God to not do something like that!

I also would always pray for God to keep my family and me "happy, healthy and safe", which sounds nice, but as someone with OCD I recognized it was a compulsive mantra I was reciting, not a true prayer. Now I'll pray genuine prayers for those I love, and sure I will still ask for God to protect them, but I'm not thinking I need to say a certain thing to God or he'll let something bad happen.

God is so good. I'm realising now how good he is. A few weeks ago I was lying in bed nursing my daughter to sleep, and I was silently praying. I was feeling really relaxed and trusting. "God, I give it all to you. I give my life to you. I trust you with my future, with my life, and with the lives of those I love. I give myself to you completely, knowing you know far better what is best for me than I ever will. I trust you with all my heart."

What a freeing experience. I'd never given up control like this, not in all my years of being a Christian. Not once did I say, "God, I trust you. I know you can handle this. I know you won't turn away from me." I prayed lots, and asked a lot of God, but never did I tell him that I trusted him. It almost felt like I was letting go of the reins of a fractious horse. I know God has the reins now, and I know he is taking care of me.

Whatever the future holds -- whether I have to battle my anxiety, OCD and depression again, or whether something big happens to me or my family, I'm not afraid. How can I be when I know God is in control? There's no guarantee bad things won't happen to me but I trust that God will not give me more than I can handle, and I also trust that he will take care of me.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on trust.

Jagella

Re: Trusting God

Post by Jagella » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi Miranda:

I'm curious; if belief in God helps so much, then why do you need the Combatting Stress and Depression Program program?

Have a great day. :)

Jagella

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”