Christmas a downer

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:43 am

Hi Everybody,

I just want to encourage everyone here about the holidays.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas the Norman Rockwell way. Or the way people do on TV, gathering together with gourmet food, then gathering around a tree and opening pricey wonderful gifts.

When I was young, I never celebrated Christmas being raised in a Jewish home.

We Jews go to movies, or trips on Christmas. My mother and I used to go to Palm Springs, spending the day by the swimming pools and nights in restaurants.

There are many Christians who don't tell their the kids about the Santa Claus fantasy, but instead focus on the Reason For The Season, that the Messiah was born and December 25 is a day that some folks decided to appoint it to his birth instead of the actual day He was born.

Some folks don't celebrate it at all.

Some folks have bad memories of Christmas because a loved one passed or was very ill during that time, or there was an incident that bothered them, or they feel obligated to get together with people they don't get along with.

Some people in fact do love Christmas and celebrate it with their families in joy because the rest of the year was terrible for them and they look forward to being with loved ones.

For many people it's just another day of the year. But because it seems like the rest of the world is caught up in it, they feel lonely and stressed that they are left out of the festivities.

I hope and pray that you all do whatever makes you happy tomorrow.

Whether it is staying home on the computer, catching a movie, baking, working-out, gathering with others or sleeping.

Find what makes YOU happy and content and at peace and go for it!

And if you are doing something against your will, like having to "tag along" visiting family or something you just can't get out of, then make the very best of it, because in hours it'll all be over.

Try to find joy peace and happiness in any and everything you do.

Turn around animosity and negativity and make tomorrow a great day.

What do you say?
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks for the advice Shifrah. I have been really struggling as I have been sick which has increased the heart palpitations and some anxiety. Now my inlaws have invited themselves over to my house this evening and I don't feel like having company at all. I've been laying on the couch the last three days sick and they know and they still are inviting themselves over!!! Your advice helped knowing that even with how I feel, it will be over in a few hours and I can lay back down. I needed to hear what you said - thanks.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Hey Shif !

Good advice ! Thanks

Merry Christmas to you, Shif !

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:02 pm

Guys you are welcome glad to be of help. I have to apply my own advice as my DH agreed to go to his brother's for "dinner" at 1 PM tomorrow.

I really don't like to visit on Christmas. Don't mind doing so the day before or after, but would rather hang out at home with my own family, relax, nap, enjoy the day, etc. on my own time and not others' time. But I will "grin and bear it" and tell myself it's only for a couple of hours.

I was very proud of DH though, as his brother calls and asks if we want to go to the movies with them at 6PM (which would mean we'd have to be there for 5 hours before the movie, yeesh).

My DH told him 'no thank you'...I thank God for my DH. He totally knew that nobody'd want to be hanging out over there for 8 hours!

Merry Christmas back at ya!

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”