Night Terrors

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
lucy knepp

Night Terrors

Post by lucy knepp » Sat May 19, 2012 4:26 am

I just woke up from a horrifying nightmare. Words can't describe it. It's way worse than anything on "The Twilight Zone" or Alfred Hitchcock." I am not on any medications. When I opened my eyes I could see through the crack in the curtain that it was still dark outside. Still trembling and half in a fog I looked at the clock that confirmed another fear. I'd only been asleep an hour.....it was 3 30 am. When I've had these night terrors before and went back to bed, it started again. If I could make a movie of this dream it would surpass any other and I'd win not only an Oscar but a Pulitzer prize. Revelation in the Bible doesn't even come close. Do you think I am possessed by the devil? Has Satan taken control of my brain? Should I even be saying these things? I believe in our Lord....I pray. What is going on? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Lucy Knepp

mark167

Re: Night Terrors

Post by mark167 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:49 am

Hi Lucy
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling at night. It is a very difficult, upsetting and confusing thing to go thru. There have been many a night that I have had little sleep or woken up in the middle of the night, and often by something I had dreamed about, and it is hard to go back to sleep after that. Based on my own experience, I would first ask u how do u sleep in general? Do u fall asleep quickly or does it take a long time; do u often wake up in the middle of the night, and then have trouble getting back to sleep, or wake up way too early and cant sleep anymore? All of these can be caused by depression and exp anxiety and excessive worrying about things.
I dont know what sort of crazy things u dream about but I have had some pretty wicked, crazy, weird or upsetting ones. I'm not sure I would call them terrors or nightmares, altho some definitly are, but they r disturbing none the less. You are not alone with this and u r not crazy or possessed. These dreams I have had are often manifestations of stupid or bad or negative thoughts I have had before going to bed, so it is not surprising, after the fact, that I had those types of dreams. Some were so upsetting I woke up in tears, with my heart pounding. Some seemed so real it was hard to determine what was real as I woke up. Some of these were while I was on meds, a lot not. One common thread with most of these was the level of fatigue and stress/anxiety/depression I was feeling. When I was suped tired, the worse and wierder they got. Some were more like mini-hallucinations. It has been quite a while since I dreamed nice, happy or 'normal' dreams, and that is a sign of what is going on inside my head during waking hours.
It is fine to be saying these things. By writing it or letting it out, it can help demystify it and u can get help and support from other sufferers, as that is why we come to these forums and this site. Never be afraid or ashamed to reveal ur thoughts and feelings on here. It helps u to relieve them, and can help others to realize they r not alone. One thing I have learned thru my sleep/dream struggles is that the less u sleep, and more tired u r, the easier it is for u to have weird dreams, visualizations, or even mild semi-conscious hallucinations. When those happen, I know how really tired I am then. Those r a big sign. The brain, just like the body, needs time and rest/sleep to recover and replenish itself after a hard day. It needs to be able to full shut off to get a restful sleep. When it is deprived of rest and a full, deep sleep, which includes good rem sleep, it plays funny tricks on us. Our brain function - memory, alertness, quickness, etc. - all diminish with less and less sleep.
Are there things u can do before going to bed to help u sleep more? Any relaxation techniques - the program cd, easy reading, gentle music, meditation, even prayers - can all help u sleep better if done on a regular basis, either just before bed and also during the day. Also exercise can be beneficial, as long as u dont do it too close to (not within 3 hours of) bedtime. Your diet and when u eat will also have an impact, as eating too close to bed and especially consuming caffeine will affect ur ability to sleep well. One last thing is it is important to let ur brain wind down in the evening prior to bed. As hard as it may be to do, staying away from anything stimulating to the brain like tv, phone or the computer, is also important. Even if u r tired and r able to fall asleep without much delay, ur brain function remains on 'awake' for quite a long time after using or watching electronic devices, so it is not getting teh deep sleep it needs. There r other more stimulating things u can do before or at bedtime that can actually help u go to sleep and stay asleep longer, but its been so long for me I kinda forget what they are ;)
I hope some of this is of some help to you. I hope by perhaps changing a few things in the evening, esp at bedtime and ur bedtime routine, can allow u to get better sleep, and thereby reduce or eliminate the sleep and dream difficulties u experience. Also try changing ur thoughts just before u go to sleep, whether it be thru prayer (try the serenity prayer over and over again as u fall asleep) or pleasant visualizations or just realizing the things u r grateful for and blessed by every day. Best of luck with it. Please let me know how things go. Mark :)
"The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no one. Yesterday's history. Tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." --- "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.”

lucy knepp

Post by lucy knepp » Sat May 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Thank you Mark. One thing you said that was a good description of this one nightmare in particular was how it seemed I was hallucinating. One part of the dream I was drifting, going under and floating into a deep sleep but not asleep yet and trying to push their hands (arms) away until I couldn't any longer. The interesting thing is that I was very calm and content before laying down to sleep. I felt like....this is going to be a good night. I didn't go to bed until 1 30am . But that's not strange. I didn't eat or drink any coffee. The only thing I can think of is that Dean had a violent movie on and I caught part of it. Very sad ending. Can't remember what movie it was. Oh yeah. Oh my! That's probably why. It was Full Metal Jacket where the guy shoots his Marine sergeant and then puts the rifle in his mouth and ...well you know the rest. Yep that would do it. But still........why so graphic and real and abnormal. I don't have these episodes often but when I do I am trying to get away. I'm either locked in an elevator or stuck going up and down in one. But this one THEY (the enemy) caught me and it was awful.
Thanks again.....I will do like I've been doing....staying away from violent and sad tv and no caffeine before bed which I don't do anyway. Another good thing you said was don't go to sleep right away even when you are really tired. Let your brain relax and settle. Pray or find a good thought or image. I put Sprout on to put me to sleep. It works. It's for 2 to 7 yr olds. It works.

Bye now
Hope someday I can say something to make you feel better
Lucy Knepp :)

dxbab1692

Post by dxbab1692 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:07 am

in the scriptures it says seek wisdom and ill give you peace. that is what you should do. i had the same trouble. in the bible its says god will grant wisdom to anyone that ask for it, so ask for it my friend. And it doesnt hurt to be wise.
i am a guy that has been troubled by anxiety and depression all my life. i also have schizophrenia and it makes it a little hard for me. the more support the better. thank you

greneyes13

Post by greneyes13 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:21 am

i can relate. for some reason my bedmate always has a problem with my night terrors. heheh

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”