questioning..please help me with this

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
TheTimeIsNow

questioning..please help me with this

Post by TheTimeIsNow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 am

Maybe someone can help me with this. I feel like I've lost my faith in God and it is slowly coming back. I don't know why I'm constantly questioning if there is a God. I don't want to question anymore. I want Jesus to be my savior and the thought of not having Him in my life makes my life seem meaningless. I've been going to Bible Study for about a year now and find it so fascinating. How can I get to the point where I don't question anymore? Please someone help me. This is what causes most of my anxiety, panic and depression.

Iwillbebetter

Re: questioning..please help me with this

Post by Iwillbebetter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 am

I grew up with no faith, we didn't go to church growing up. Not even on the holidays even people that don't regularly go, go like easter, christmas.... Anyway - now that I have kids I don't want them to grow up without that "foundation" as I did. I grew up not knowing what I beleive. Beleiveing everything, but yet beleiving nothing. (I don't know how else to explain)

Anyway about a year ago I found a church and we started going. I had struggled a bit as I never knew if I really beleive in god. I always wanted to, but didn't really know that I did. So they suggested I pray about it. (not praying is another thing that was VERY hard for me as I never did that growing up either) At first I was hesitant and just shrugged it off. But I did start praying in general. The more comfortable I got with that, I decided maybe I should, So I prayed and basically asked "heavenly father" to help me to know if he is "real" Each time I prayed I would ask in different ways. For a while I didn't feel as though I was being answered, but then one day I prayed it again and then sat pondering for a little.... in doing that it hit me like lightening.... I could see the many times he had tried to answer me/re-assure me. I did get an answer to my prayer over and over, I just had to look to see the answer....

So that is my suggestion to you, Pray to your heavenly father for the assurance you need to not doubt!! It may take a little bit of time, keep your eyes open he will answer you!!! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

TheTimeIsNow

Post by TheTimeIsNow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 am

Thank you for that response. I grew up just knowing that God is real. I had that childlike faith. Then once I started getting the panic attacks so bad, I had the feelings of unreality and started questioning. Then last night I had a breakthrough :idea: . I decided to be more effective and less affected. So I did the relaxation CD and listened to the feel better fast CD and it kinda just hit me. (I did pray before that and do pray throughout the day) so I wrote in my journal "I feel like maybe if I have 100% faith, then I HAVE to trust God and then lose control of my own life. And if I trust God 100%, then I have to do the things that scare me. So it's just easier to question God's existence." So maybe through prayer I got my answer. I don't know if that makes any sense to you but it makes sense in my head ;)

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 am

It makes complete sense to be beleive it or not! :) I'm glad to hear about your "breakthrough" Sounds like you have recieved the answer you were looking for. :)
I like what you wrote in your journal, and what a good point, especially being that we tend to feel we need to have full control. You can also look at it in another way, you can put trust in god, without losing control, putting your trust in him, I am learning is simply trusting that he will be there to help guide you, not to control you!! He has given us free will to make our own choices, we can just call on him to help us with them, but it is still up to us to make the choice.... I don't know if that makes sense :) :) This is just my take on it since finding him. :):)

I hope you didn't think I was saying you don't pray...
TheTimeIsNow wrote:(I did pray before that and do pray throughout the day)
more what I meant was, to pray specifically. Ask him to help you know in your heart that he is real because you have been questioning. :) :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

TheTimeIsNow

Post by TheTimeIsNow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Just so excited that I think I'm finally going to get this, but sooo scared knowing I have to face my fears!!! ...patience :? :lol:

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:57 am

I just have to laugh. But I totally know that feeling. so exciting and scary at the same time. Just have to focus on the exciting part and before you know it you will be past the scary part!! :)

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”