Doubt -> Fear

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
trippyscc

Doubt -> Fear

Post by trippyscc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 am

I recently heard a sermon on the connection between doubt and fear and thought I would post it because it really resonated with me. For one thing, it's nice to hear a sermon about how to deal with fear because it makes you realize that everyone deals with it. We're not just a group of weirdos, lol.

Anyway, our pastor was talking about fear and how we are to deal with it. His point was that doubt causes fear. So if you were able to not doubt, you wouldn't fear. The remedy then is not to deal with the fear; it's to attack the doubt by building up your faith. That made me realize how often I try to deal with the fear.

For instance if I'm planning on going out to eat with someone or something I might start worrying about having a panic attack while I'm in the restaurant or getting sick while I'm there. So that's the fear: feeling anxious and thinking I'll have to leave or I'll embarrass myself. And then I begin thinking about the fear and how I can deal with it. Maybe if I sit close to the bathroom. Maybe if I eat really light. Or if I go when the restaurant is not too busy. Etc. I make all of these plans on how to contain the fear when it comes up.

But I'm not dealing with the real problem; I'm paying attention to the symptoms instead of the cause. Why do I have that fear in the first place? I don't have enough faith. I haven't put my faith in God enough to know that He will see me through any and every situation. Things may not go as I want them to, but He will see me through and will work everything to good ultimately.

Anyway, this really helped me - realizing that by trying to plan for my fears I'm not making any progress and they will just keep coming up next time. Building my faith is the true fix. And this is just like all of the tapes say. Don't give those negative, scary thoughts any power. Feel the fear and do it anyway. This builds your faith and will make the next time better. If you're feeling fear then you've got doubt in your mind and that's the place to attack. Replace your doubt with faith and the fear will naturally be taken care of.

NeverQuit

Re: Doubt -> Fear

Post by NeverQuit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 pm

That's awesome, I need to be reminded of this constantly. I KNOW that a huge part of my anxiety is due to my lack of faith in God. I don't realize His sovereignty, His power, His protection over me enough. Every anxious thought I have can be tied back to me doubting God's power and ability to take care of me through my circumstances. I need to work on this!!

jms75

Post by jms75 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:59 pm

that is amazing... and so true... i struggle with fear/doubt/worry... you both made me realize it is my lack of faith in God... since i have confirmed to my self that i do have anxiety i have drawn nearer to God... I do have to have an intimate relationship with Him... the more time you spend with Him the more you get to know Him... the more you are set free... i hope you guys are doing well... im new to this site and have read very encouraging topics... God bless you! Jessica

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Love this! Reminds me of Joshua and Caleb and the courage they had to step toward the promised land trusting in their mighty God. We choose to move forward and not retreat! Good for us!!

Rev. Fred

Post by Rev. Fred » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:42 am

Another issue your Pastor forgot to tell you about is: 'Doubt' comes from the devil himself, he uses this to deter us from our faith, then everything else has a domino effect down the line...our fear, anxious episodes, 'doubt' of our faith....see, I also battle this anxiety/depression and I am a Reverend, that has seen and heard probably more then he has needed over the years, yet I will not stop because the devil is lashing out at me through 'doubt', I turn that 'doubt' into prayer and ask for heavenly help....keeping your mind clear of worryies is another great way of blocking out the 'doubt' and keeping yourself strong in your relationship to your God is the best way yet....w/o the help of God, being there for all of us, we would never make it, at least that is the way I feel. Spiritually speaking, battling this anxiety and keeping focused within your religion will help you immensely....

Prayers go up and answers come down
Stay Blessed
Rev. Fred

bob p

Post by bob p » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 pm

sorry reverend but wrong thing to say to someone with anxiety. i have a little trouble believing it comes from the devil, i believe we are creating it ourselves. either way i wish all of you the best of luck.

pookie4

Post by pookie4 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Reverened the min i read ur blog it was hard for me to breath its to hard to read things like that in an anxiousvstate

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”