Re-finding God?

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
perspectivegirl

Re-finding God?

Post by perspectivegirl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble re-finding spirituality and God. I'm 20 years old and I grew up roman Catholic, and went to a Catholic middle and high school. I'm a junior in college now and have almost completely lost my faith. I stopped believing in God and most all religion in the beginning of high school, and now I feel like I'm trying to find him again. My first panic attack was maybe 6 months ago but I'm realizing I've had anxiety all my life (and a lot of racing thoughts). I'm definitely becoming a more optimistic and positive person now and it's great, it's almost like karma. I've realized then when I'm a positive person and look for the good things, good things also come my way! This is crazy to me, but when I'm in a good time/mood, it's really showing me how great life is. I haven't really been to church in three years, and I'm thinking about going back. I don't know why, but I've been feeling this pull back to praying and to God for some reason. I'm thinking about going to church again and see what it's like again. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

NeverQuit

Re: Re-finding God?

Post by NeverQuit » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:26 pm

I think that's awesome that you're drawing closer to God through your anxiety!! I know that God has that plan for me through all this too, but it's been hard for me to get past myself. I often like to visualize Jesus holding me in His arms and telling me everything's going to be okay, He is with me and able to handle anything. I feel so close to Him when I read His word and picture Him by my side. :)
I think that's awesome!! I'll be praying for you!

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi prespectivegirl. You haven't lost God - He's just waiting for you to come to him. Just get down on your knees, ask Jesus Christ to come into your life, forgive you of your sins, then start going back to church! Even though you are Catholic, it also helps to join a Bible study group in any church in your area. I'm a Methodist and in my Bible study group, we have several women that go to Catholic churches but come to my church for the study. I was once like you and I can't tell you how my life has changed since I asked Christ into my life 3 years ago. He hasn't rid me of my anxiety attacks, but there are some things we have to do ourselves. God bless you and please keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks for sharing your story NeverQuit, that's a really good example for me and I think I'll start doing the same thing.. have to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

KAMO, I'm not exactly ready to get down on my knees and accept Christ into my life full force again. I don't consider myself Catholic and I've had a lot of issues with religion that I need to work through and I think it'll be a process. Thanks so much for the support.. it's really helpful. And for suggesting a Bible study group, I might look into one and see what happens. :]

rae75

Post by rae75 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I too have given my life to God again. I have been searching for answers for so long and stressed as well. This is harder than I thought. I have good days and there are dys like today where I just feel hopeless and helpless. I feel myself wastign away but have to remind myself that God is in control and he knows whats best and he will see us through this. Stay in touch!

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:27 pm

perspectivegirl wrote:Thanks for sharing your story NeverQuit, that's a really good example for me and I think I'll start doing the same thing.. have to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

KAMO, I'm not exactly ready to get down on my knees and accept Christ into my life full force again. I don't consider myself Catholic and I've had a lot of issues with religion that I need to work through and I think it'll be a process. Thanks so much for the support.. it's really helpful. And for suggesting a Bible study group, I might look into one and see what happens. :]
Hi perspectivegirl. I hope you will change your mind about asking Christ into your life, because doing that and religion are not the same thing. There are a lot of people that say they are religious, but don't have Christ in their lives. Just start by going to a good Bible based church, listen to what the Pastor says and start that Bible study group. You may find yourself changing your mind quicker than you'd ever imagined and your life will never be the same, in nothing but a good way. I didn't ask Christ into my life until my anxiety reached a point where I just could not stand it anymore and had no where else to turn. I still have the attacks, but just knowing that this is just one of the trials he is putting me through and that He will always be there for me has made all the difference in the world in my life. God blesses us all, and I hope you find Him soon.

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:21 am

So awesome to hear what God has done, and is doing, in your lives, Rae and KAMO!!

One thing that God has been showing me is that He is ready to accept us wherever we are at. He doesn't put a yoke on me that is heavier than I can bare, He doesn't demand me to be a spiritual giant right now when I am still growing. :) He is patient with us, and says to us, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13.

So don't get discouraged perspectivegirl if all the answers aren't clear right now! God's right here with you to help you. :) Keep seeking Him! He rejoices when He sees your heart seeking Him. :)

Nel01073

Post by Nel01073 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi perspectivegirl im your age and also a Roman Catholic. I grew up believing in God but I think I never fully realized the importance of what it meant. As I grew up I began to learn more about my faith and God but grew afraid of Him. I started to take my faith more seriously but the fear kept growing too. I distanced myself from God so I could avoid the fear. Now I also want to find God again and I think those feelings are His spirit calling us back to him. I now have a better relationship with Him I think so I hope we can get there someday. Dont give up and he'll continue to guide us.

srm77

Post by srm77 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:23 am

I've found that God's voice is the loudest when we're going through tough times because I realize I need Him and He has my full attention. I think through this program God is not only helping with my anxiety but also my faith in Him.

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank you so much for all the responses everybody, they really help. Sometimes I just feel like there's this black cloud, or just like there is a black hole somewhere and I'm always looking into it. I'm going to start trying very hard to look up into the light..

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”