Lost Anxious and Depressed Sheep

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
jmoralesx5

Lost Anxious and Depressed Sheep

Post by jmoralesx5 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:52 pm

I grew up Catholic but in my 20's I became a born-again Christian and really became close to God. Everything to me became about God and prayer and what He wanted for me in my life and for my family. But about 9 years ago I started having anxiet attacks. My life has not been the same since. For a couple years I prayed like I've never prayed before. However after having lost a couple jobs and my anxiety becoming more and more a part of my life...God became less and less a part of my life. I know it is not Him, but me that has withdrawn and I have no idea on how to get back to where I was at with Him.

Has anyone else had the same problem while battling anxiety and depression? How do I "force" myself if you will to get what I once had with Him? :cry:

gmb5900

Re: Lost Anxious and Depressed Sheep

Post by gmb5900 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:01 am

Working the program should help. I've not gone far in the program but am hopeful that it is all it is said to be. I look to God to be my help as I seek to work the program. I've overcame alot of anxiety and problems with God's help but also have had a constant battle with anxiety and now depression. I've herd of other very godly and devout people struggle with depression. I don't think its a lack of faith to ask for help. "be anxious for nothing, but by prayer ... with thanksgiving...." We can do all we can but also need to trust God to do only what He can. By inviting God to help me and being thankful for what I can do I've found God bringing me along closer to Him. Sometimes it feels like I'm close to Him and other times I don't. It's good to look to Him at all times and keep working the program.

NancyP

Post by NancyP » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:22 pm

I have been reading a book called The Mind of Christ, by T.W.Hunt which is very good and may be helpful for you. If we were all thinking on the good and positive things like the Bible teaches, we wouldn't be having these problems!

GIL

Post by GIL » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:15 am

Hi Nancy,

I sure agree with what you are saying. Thank-you for mentioning the book. I am always looking for good books to read. I checked it out on amazon and saw that it had all high reviews. Judging by the "look inside" feature, it seems to be the type of book I'd be interested in reading.

Thanks again and have a blessed day!
GIL

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:43 am

I am new to this program and I'm also a new born-again Christian. I've been told that insecurity also has a lot to do with my anxiety, although that may not be your problem, it is mine, and I am currently in a Beth Moore bible study at my church about her book, So Long Insecurity. I'm only on chapter 4, but it's been pretty helpful so far in me understanding what's going on with my insecurity.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 pm

I have to wonder though if some anxiety isn't a biochemical reaction...I'm still working this out with the change in hormone level as I age. Because I've never had anxiety like this before and I think part of it is the aging process. Although, I'm doing all I can do to figure it out along with prayer. Paislee

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Paisleegreen wrote:I have to wonder though if some anxiety isn't a biochemical reaction...I'm still working this out with the change in hormone level as I age. Because I've never had anxiety like this before and I think part of it is the aging process. Although, I'm doing all I can do to figure it out along with prayer. Paislee
You know Paislee, even though I am insecure, which is part of my problem, I also think it is biological. I have been a worrier all my life, but never had an anxiety attack until about 3 years ago when menopause started. I understand this can last 7 to 10 years, and boy I don't look forward to that. I guess that may explain why most of the posts hear are from women and not men.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:27 pm

HI Kamo-Yes, I recently got some Progesterone Bio Identical cream, and it has really made a difference! I've also been focusing on listening to more positive tapes and CDs, working on forgiving, reading the scriptures, letting things go, but I have to say that just by adding the Progesterone cream has really helped to calm me down and not feel so weepy or sad.

I see my Psychiatrist Nurse Practitioner, in a couple days and it is sort of a yearly med check, since i haven't needed to go in for med checks for antidepressants. I'm only taking Temazepam at night. But I had made the appointment earlier to discuss if things don't change that I might need to go back on AD's. My Dr was sick so I had to reschedule and I'm seeing the Nurse Practitioner in case my Dr is sick again. I can see him again later, which is scheduled a couple weeks later. But if things work out, I think the hormone replacement with the bio identical creams are what is needed. I'm so much calmer...and can actually eat...chocolate chips cookies w/o getting anxious! :P

I have stayed away from most sweets and chocolate! I have had to eat tuna, chicken, eggs, almonds, walnuts, lean beef, to keep my gut calm. It helps to keep the weight off thought. so it is a good thing. :lol: Gotta go. Pais

super51

Post by super51 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:29 pm

I know what you mean. I grew up Catholic and am still practicing my religion. But in the last few years I have gotten divorced,lost my job and have had trouble with my adult child. I have had anxiety for years but it has gotten worse and therefore caused more depression. Some days I feel like I am losing hope. I feel somehow that I have been living wrong and I know I am a good person but can't seem to reach the end of the tunnel.

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”