Getting better Through Trials

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
mramirez10

Getting better Through Trials

Post by mramirez10 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:13 pm

I know this may seem hard to believe but i have noticed that as I go through trials that I am getting better and stronger. This weekend one of my fears that I obsess about came true. I hate hospitals because I feel trapped there. So one of my fears is that I or someone in my family would get real sick and have to go to the hospital. Well this week end my baby got real sick. At first I catastrified and worried, thinking my baby was going to die. As we were driving to the hospital I was able to calm down. I was worried yes, but trying real hard not to jump to conclusions. While at the hospital I didn't have any panic attacks. My anxiety was high as I think anyones would be going through the same thing. I read the cards and inspirational material. I got through one of my worst fears. My baby is home and fine. Before this happend I would pray that nothing would happen to have to go to the hospital, or that nobody would get sick because I couldn't handle it. I guess the ansewer to that prayer was no. Now my whole family is sick and I'm handling it. God really knows us best. I think I am going through this trial now so that God can show me just how strong I am and that I can handle things I don't think I can and that I will live and get through it. Today I am more calm than I have been in 2 weeks and getting sick is no longer a fear. I am greatful to a loving Heavenly Father who loves us and wants us to get better, so he teaches us how. I know that God will always ansewer our prayers. Sometimes the ansewer is no, but He will always do what's best for us.

Paisleegreen

Re: Getting better Through Trials

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon May 30, 2011 5:58 pm

That's great MRAMirez! I know my Heavenly Father helps me out as well! Paislee :mrgreen:

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Tue May 31, 2011 10:14 am

That's so great!! God is so good!! I am reminded of the verse about temptation, "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13. That word can also be translated, "tested."

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue May 31, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree... :)

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you for your support. I agree too.

tbabystroup

Post by tbabystroup » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:57 pm

mramirez,
this post was awesome and so encouraging! congrats on overcoming one of your phobias!!! and thank you for helping reminding us all that with God's help we can conquer any challenge that is put before us!!!
~theresa~
**Beautiful pictures are developed from negatives in a dark room. so if you see darkness in your life, be reassured that a beautiful picture is being developed!!**

trippyscc

Post by trippyscc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 am

I think this thread is so true and I wanted to post a thought I had on the subject. I have found that my periods of greatest growth come after trials. And I, of course, have the tendency to shy away from difficulty. I don't want to do things that make me feel uncomfortable. I don't want to push my boundaries or give up any sense of control. But sometimes you have to because there's just no other alternative. Just like the opending thread about a child being sick and you've got a fear of hospitals.
Anyway, I've really been experiencing this lately. Personally, I have this fear of embarrassing myself in front of other people. So meetings at work are hard for me. Heck, even going to work was really hard for me a few months ago. And then it was like I just kept having meeting after meeting. And I always feared that something embarrassing would happen: I would have a panic attack and have to leave or I would throw up. I mean, that's pretty embarrassing. And instead of sheltering me from these fears, it's like God is giving me meetings out the wazoo. But then I began to notice that having all of these obstacles kind of forced me to rely more on God. And I've been able to sit through every one of them. I'm still not to the point where they don't bother me. But I do have this feeling deep down that I know I'll be alright. And getting through these meetings really bolsters my confidence. More so than if I had not had to go through them. So I'm trying to see them as a blessing now.
Anyway, I think this is such an important part of recovery. We have to switch our lens to where we don't see difficult situations as things to be avoided at all costs but as opportunities for growth. And ultimately recovery.

ACann

Post by ACann » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Very cool...I am glad that the trials are getting easier. The feeling that everything will be okay only gets stronger as you believe it.
I find this condition so strange. I have epiphanies and realizations and feel so good and then when a anxious/depressive episode hits, I feel like I have to start all over again (well it feels that way at first and then I start working the steps and think about all the amazing things I have experienced)... the only time I feel okay is when I am feeling spiritually "centered." Sometimes this bothers me and I don't know why... like, I have to believe in God to feel better. I love God and I am all for this but I get anxiety about it because God is a controversial topic for so many and many don't believe or are "fine" without being spiritually centered.... this condition is exhausting.

trippyscc

Post by trippyscc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:22 am

Yeah, I have those experiences too.
It is odd that some people can have no relationship with God at all and have no anxiety or deal with their anxiety without relying on God. It kind of makes you wonder why it doesn't work that way for you. Like, if my relationship with God is so vital to my improvement, how can other people get along without having it at all?
I have no idea. I have to put that into my "God knows more than me" file. I do think though that when you become a Christian your life changes, especially your mental life. And sometimes, old ways of doing things or the ways that other people do things don't work anymore. And I think that that's especially true for our kind of people.
One thing I've noticed is that people who deal with anxiety tend to have control issues. And not always overt control. But just that we don't like to feel like we're not in control of ourselves at all times. Just like my discomfort with meetings. It's not that I don't know what I'm doing; it's just that I feel like I can't leave. It's the lack of control.
I think this is an area where God is challenging me. You know, to realize that my concern shouldn't be about me being in control. When I'm living like I should be, I let Him have control and I move more to a place of trust. I'm not saying God is making me anxious. I'm just saying that I think a key to recovery is voluntarily giving up my desire for control to Him.

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”