In the NOW

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
teegee

In the NOW

Post by teegee » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi - This is my 1st visit. All weekend I had the "blues" from an overload of sugar which poisons my system and my mind. I ought to know better by now, but at work there are almost always sweet temptations. And I caved in big time.

But what I wanted to say is that I awoke this morning with a more peaceful feeling in my gut and was ready to - once again - live in the moment. This is not easy for me to do - always drift off to a memory and always get caught up in that long-ago moment, and have to remind myself, This moment! is the only one that counts. This is an underlying principle of spirituality and I first learned of it through Paul Twitchell who founded the present-day religion called ECKANKAR. Eckart Tolle also has books published on the practice of being in the NOW. We have to trust that whatever happened before will be taken care of properly and we have to trust that our futures are bright, because when we are fully present NOW, we use all of our resources to be the best we can be. Of course, we have to see the big picture, but to get from A to B, we need all we are made of, present and focused on our goal.

Just wanted to get all that out!
Peace

Paisleegreen

Re: In the NOW

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks, Teegee This was very useful to read today.

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 am

Hey teegee!
That's an awesome concept to learn, it's huge for people like us with anxiety to discipline our minds to stay in the "precious present moment." For me personally Jesus' words about TODAY are what is beginning to sink into my mind for the first time! "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34. It's so hard to let go of control!

blaine

Post by blaine » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:03 am

AS a christian I would agree with the attitude of letting go of the past, no condemnation(rom 8:1), and not be anxious about tomorrow( matt 6:34). For that matter being anxious about anything(Phil 4:4-7). But the longer I deal with this general anxiety disorder the greater the challenge to my faith. The above commands can't be accomplish in my own power. God knows I have tried. I am convience it has to take a supernatural act of GOD. Since I still have it then he isn't ready to fix me yet. Maybe he is putting me thru this trial to acutally strengthen my faith as James 1:2-7 suggests. Also Paul said that thru my weaknesses GOD's strength is shown and he recieves the glory. Well I feel weak. How long must this trial go on Lord. It becomes a matter of trust. He is at work, he loves me, I am his child. If I will truely imbrace this reality what do I have to fear. I believe help me with my unbelief. It is all grace.

Kathie C.

Post by Kathie C. » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:26 pm

One thing that works for me is remembering that HE is in control, not I. And I am not my past, I am His creation and He wants me to learn to let go of my emotions and live for Him and be a servant to His other children whenever I am able. He is in control of all things, and I need to stop feeling sick about every bad thing that comes through the media or other people as well.

BetterLife2011

Post by BetterLife2011 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Reading all of your posts has really helped me. I love the encouraging scriptures. I recently ran from an abusive relationship and I am having trouble letting go and leaving it in the past. My faith and my mind tell me to let it go, but my emotions are still reacting.

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”