Letting go of Anxiety

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
ACann

Letting go of Anxiety

Post by ACann » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:51 pm

I am afraid to let go of Anxiety. I have the skills of what I need to do and I am planning on following my own personalized action plan (mostly from what I learned in the program) it has been about a year since I picked up anything from the program but I need to again. I am afraid to let go of anxiety because what if challenging things and bad things like death of loved ones (it's hard for me to even think it) starts happening because God knows I am strong enough to deal with it so then it is going to happen!! I see that this keeps me anxious and depressed. What is it about anxiety that makes it want to fester and drive us crazy??!! I feel like, why would I think this stuff if there wasn't truth? Ugh, I am so frustrated and exhausted from it. Lastly, I feel like anxiety makes me feel in control because it makes me hyper aware and I won't mess anything "big" up...but I still mess up. Does anyone else have a hard time letting go and just letting God? I am so afraid to let it go!

NeverQuit

Re: Letting go of Anxiety

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:19 am

This is something that I think every anxiety sufferer struggles with to one degree or another. Because anxiety disorder is about wanting CONTROL!!! :) I smile because that can be a comforting fact to realize, that all of this really boils down to our desire to be in control, when in reality, it is that same desire that is causing us to feeling totally OUT of control! What does God say? Matthew 16:25 "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me will find it." Even when we DO mess up and DO make mistakes, it's OKAY, because He promises that "...in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28) God calls us to TRUST HIM. When we are in this state of anxiety and struggling to control everything and figure it all out and fretting, we are NOT trusting Him. Often, what we're anticipating or struggling with ISN'T EVEN TRUE to begin with! Or we're taking a very unhealthy and negative way of looking at things. Another good verse for you is, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:13. Although this isn't necessarily temptation that we're talking about, I think this can apply to trials and anything that TESTS our faith and TEMPTS us to fall back into our old habits of worry and fretting.

God's in control! We need to embrace the TRUE control that comes by relinquishing all of it to Him. :)

AimCat

Post by AimCat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:59 am

ACann: I second NeverQuit. I was at church on Easter or maybe the week before. The priest spoke about turning away from God, and he mentioned anxiety as one of those ways we turn away. It sure seems like when you feel anxious, maybe it's not useful to think that you are also doing something wrong. And he didn't say it that way, but as an anxious person (and Catholic to boot), I of course took it that way.

Nonetheless, I've been meditating on that. I've been trying to focus on greater awareness of my anxious moments/hours/days, and trying to catch myself and offer that suffering up to God. I try to think, "God has done so much for me; I can do this for God -- for this moment, set aside this particular anxious thought and replace it with this more positive thought."

I can't do it when I think of an anxious day, just a moment.

Hang in there.

MissingSis

Post by MissingSis » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Just lost my Sis to domestic violence, Jan. 17th.
To say I'm dealing with extreme anxiety is an understatement. But also grief.
Thank GOD I have the program and have begun to huddle around my old cassette player and program tapes. ....I'm struggling but know I've been here before and GOD will get me through again.
Getting grief counseling too and have the support of a loving husband.
...so used to feeling sad and anxious since her death. Don't know how to feel "normal" again.

S3anne

Post by S3anne » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Sending prayers of peace to you...

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”