God has not given us a spirit of Fear

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
SimpleTruths

Post by SimpleTruths » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:48 am

Hello,

I just wanted to encourage those who are battling through anxiety and depression.

I've recently started reading a book titled, "The Battle belongs to the Lord" by Joyce Meyer.

The opening paragraph reads:

God wants us to be totally fear from fear. He doesn't want us to live in torment, and He doesn't want fear to stop us from confidently doing what He tells us to do. When we have a deep understanding concerning God's perfect unconditional love for us, we realize He will always take care of everything that concerns us - that knowledge eventually delivers us from fear. As we have experience with God and see that He always takes care of us and provides what we need, we begin to relax.

RELAX - isn't that a wonderful thought? I have often found myself sitting on the edge of the couch or of a chair not even realizing how tense I was. RELAX - that is what we can truly do when we give our cares to the Lord.

Everyone you know may be saying to you everything is going to be ok and to just trust God. But you wonder "How?" The fears are screaming at you and threatening you. Sometimes we may even wake up with fears pounding in our heads - I know I have. How do we get from a point of fear to a place of peace?

It is often a moment by moment, day by day journey. Two steps forward, one step back. But God is ever there to lead us out. He desires our freedom more than we do. Don't give up. Keep pressing forward.

I pray this song encourage you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nK0l8Gr1TQ

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Thank you for the encouragement with words and songs.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:45 am

Hi all,

here's a great idea that you don't have to find from a devotional writer. Try reading the bible in particular: 2 Chronicles 20, is all about the battle belonging to the Lord, just show up.

http://www.blueletterbible.org...h&c=20&v=1&t=KJV#top

If my people would turn from their ways, here is the full reading:

2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Are you His people? This is serious! Too many people are faking it till they make it, and relying of counterfeit or snippets from the bible. Well, satan did the same thing when he tempted Jesus in the desert; read it in Mat. 4:1-11.

The relationship is personal and so is the revelation. Get into His word, learn to identify His voice, and stop being stiff necked and closed minded or one that longs for ear tickling that conforms to their own understanding. Proverbs 3: 5, 2 Tim 3:5-7

I have been you are or have been. It took me all of 2 weeks to see that my answer was in His word. There is no failure in Him! Draw nearer to Him and He will draw nearer to thee. James 4:8

Come to learn the truth and the truth shall make you free. John 8:32

Truly when Jesus returns will He find faith? Luke 18: "...Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?..."

I hear Jesus crying out: Luk 9:41 And Jesus answering said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you, and suffer you? Bring thy son hither.

Dear Lord have mercy on us; in Jesus name! Amen

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 am

Hello again,

As I continue to read though this book, "The Battle Belongs to the Lord" by Joyce Meyer, I am encouraged more and more to lean on the Lord through every trial.

We truly are totally dependent upon the Lord to see us through. We can't in our own selves solve every problem that comes our way or have the answer to every question, but as we turn to the Lord, He will give us the answers we seek.

Do you ever try to fight your own battles? I know I have so many times only to end up exhausted, frustrated and confused. Sometimes it takes us coming to the end of ourselves before we look up.

One quote from the book says: "Satan hates our joy. It is the opposite of what he is trying to provoke. He wants to see anger, unbridled emotion, tears, self pity, grumbling, complaining, blaming God and others for our situation. He wants to see anything but joy; Nehemiah 8:10 says that the joy of the Lord is our strength.

I know it is hard to even think about joy when you are in the midst of anxiety or depression but it is still available for us.

We are tempted to think we are not doing our part if we don't worry or try to figure out some answer. Sometimes we just need to stand still and wait on the Lord.

We can still sing in the midst of adversity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W1EdvUfaRY

God bless each one of you.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:02 am

Do you ever try to fight your own battles? I know I have so many times only to end up exhausted, frustrated and confused. Sometimes it takes us coming to the end of ourselves before we look up.
This same dilemma is expressed by Zerubabel when tasked with the monumental task of rebuilding the temple even as mockers, detractors that were doing all they could to disrupt and discourage and even place the lives of those rebuilding the temple in danger. In the reading Zec. 4: 6 and 7 essentially says the same thing you are saying and the concept of letting go and letting God comes through loud and clear. It is not by our power or might that our mountains are taken down into plains, but by His Spirit, saith the Lord!

Praise Him in your storms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...&playnext=5&index=60

There is so much power in praising God, let Him abide in the praises from our lips. Amen and Amen! Every tear you cry is held in a bottle and recorded Ps. 56:8

Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?

What a wonderful loving Father that cares about our every struggle, and tear that we have had. Amen and Amen!
Last edited by Gman5256 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”