Reading the Bible

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
struggling Christian

Post by struggling Christian » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

Does anyone else find it hard to read the Bible? I used to love to read my Bible but now I have intrusive obsessive thoughts when I try to read. It is such a struggle and I feel guilty when I don't read. I just have such a hard time with my doubts and negative thoughts. I feel like God doesn't love me anymore even though the Bible says He does. I just can't seem to make myself believe the truth anymore and it is ruining my life. Can anyone relate?

cj20520

Post by cj20520 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Sometimes when i sit down to read or pray my thoughts get going and i get totally distracted. Then i get frustrated because i really need to communicate with God. The one thing i have found to be helpful is to pray before i start to read and ask god to sanctify my imagination so that i may hear him clearly.

struggling Christian

Post by struggling Christian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 am

Thank you for your reply.

gemini0521

Post by gemini0521 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:47 am

I completetly understand what you are going through! I pray all the time and I keep wondering why God would put me through this, I know it is not him!! God is very loving and I don't think you should feel guilty if you cannot read the bible as much as you would like. Just pray to him and and use the relaxation cd, before you read the bible- maybe that will help. This is a very hard process and I hope that we all make it through with the grace of God!!
Toni Slater

j_h

Post by j_h » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

I completely understand where you are comming from. I have been struggling with praying and reading the Bible also. But be assured that God does not let these things happen to us. They are a result of what happened in the garden of eden. Unfortunetly bad things happen, but Thank God that we can turn to Him and remember that He sees our hearts and obviously you have a heart for God or you wouldnt be concerned. So keep seeking and you will find, keep knocking and He WILL answer.

struggling Christian

Post by struggling Christian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:59 am

Thank you all for your replies.

Kay Turner

Post by Kay Turner » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi , I am new to this whole thing just signed up today... struggling christian.. I am hotlips35.. may i ask how old you are? I am 35 years old:) if not thats okay.. but I would love to respond to your concerns.I am a christian..as Christians we all struggle in our walk with God.. Even the disiples who were with Christ personally struggled... Peter denied him..Judas betrayed him.. Thomas doubted him... etc etc.. We have never seen Christ yet we believe in him and we serve him, the bible calls you BLESSED for this. The reason why we struggle is simply because of the enemy the devil... when you feel guilty because you cannot read your bible for more than half an hour its the enemy putting those thoughts in your head.. thats how he operates.. he attacks your mind. if you read your bible for two minutes and you cannot continue do not feel guilty and beat up yourself about it, at least you picked the good book up and opened it and read it... thats a start... and that counts.. the enemy does not like that so he attacks your mind with the guilt that you did not read long enough ... remember that we are not fighting the things we see .. we are fighting the unseen forces .. good and evil battling in the unseen supernatural realm.. but God does not allow us to see this...we would drop dead if we did..there are demons and angels all over the place and they are at war every single day we read of it in the bible and the mind is the first place the attack.. WHY? the human mind controls everything round and about them.. The enemy is the one putting guilt , frustration, depression, anxiety, shame, worry,etc etc in our heads . How do you think he fights his battles? how do you think he forges war between countries? he targets the human mind. What helps me a lot along with this program, and I would refer her to you because SHE WORKS!!!! when it comes to the mind and the devil, is JOYCE MEYERS... google her or watch her on TV she is awesome... she has a book ..BATTLEFIELD OF THE MIND or you can get it on tapes..but please listen to www.joycemeyers.com .GOD BLESS
hotlips35

struggling Christian

Post by struggling Christian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 pm

I am 34 years old and thanks for your reply.

anita57

Post by anita57 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:03 pm

i also find books by charles stanley to be very helpful and u can get a daily prayer sent to your e-mail and u can get a monthly booklet and watch him on tv or on computer - i have several of his books - intouch.org

struggling Christian

Post by struggling Christian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:16 pm

I love Charles Stanley too.

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”