Fear and Doubt

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
JDar11

Post by JDar11 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:56 pm

I am 25 years old and I worry every day about myself or my loved ones dying. It is my absolute worst fear and whenever I hear a story on the news, or from a friend, or hear about ANYONE dying, I cannot control my emotions and I think about it constantly. I can't bear the thought of losing my loved ones, and the fear and anxiety of them getting sick or getting in an accident haunts my mind every day. I fear that I will never learn to "accept" the things in life I have no control over. Please help...how do I accept what I can't control?

notsonostalgic

Post by notsonostalgic » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:05 am

The bible probably isn't true, so don't worry about whether or not you're going to heaven or hell. Besides, if you accepted Jesus, then I think the rules are that "if you believe and accept and repent from your sins" then you can go to Heaven.

As far as the acid reflux is concerned, I've been getting a lot of that as of lately too, but part of it was I had back problems, and had to lay in bed for a long time, which I think sort of induced it (the acid reflux).

Don't drink coffee or things highly acidic, don't eat big meals 3-4 hrs before you go to bed. Sleep on your right side (I saw this somewhere online, that the way our stomachs are shaped, if you sleep on one side it helps keep the acid down). These things helped me, you might want to consider taking some nexium too for a little while, so your stomach can heal (talk to your doctor).

Best regards

Amboy

Post by Amboy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:01 pm

"I am 25 years old and I worry every day about myself or my loved ones dying. It is my absolute worst fear and whenever I hear a story on the news, or from a friend, or hear about ANYONE dying, I cannot control my emotions and I think about it constantly. I can't bear the thought of losing my loved ones, and the fear and anxiety of them getting sick or getting in an accident haunts my mind every day. I fear that I will never learn to "accept" the things in life I have no control over. Please help...how do I accept what I can't control?"

Hello JDar11,
I must say I have struggled with this same fear as well. I used this program about 3 years ago and it really helped me! I have felt “recovered” for the past three years. It’s only recently, today, that I came back to the program because I started having some fears again over the past 2 months and I feel I’m relapsing a bit. (That’s totally normal by the way. LOL!)
My fears are the same as yours. However, in addition to this, I also fear nuclear war breaking out due to the issues going on in Korea. Talk about worrying over something I have NO control over! When I actually typed this out I felt a little silly thinking this and it made me chuckle. As you can see, my fears are more OCD based and I tend to obsess on things like this. I know what has helped me most in the past is listening to the CD’s often and also coming on the forums to read inspirational stories. It sounds to me like you are obsessing and doing quite a bit “what if” thinking. Focus on these sections and it should help.
In addition to this, going back to church and reigniting my spirituality has helped as well. Although I’m catholic, I don’t believe a lot of the “doom and gloom” that can be associated with my religion. I read the bible on occasion, say the Rosary everyday and something else that has really helped me was talking with my family and friends about some of my fears related to my faith and salvation. I’m very close with my family and few friends I can really trust to talk about this stuff.
It was my mother that truly helped me with overcoming my fear of dying and the fear of my family dying. She once told me that no matter what I do, she could never stop loving me because she loves me unconditionally. No matter how mean I am, what unforgivable actions I take, she will love me. She then compared her love to God’s love. God’s love is immeasurable, infinite and stronger for me that my mother’s love can ever be! No matter what my sins, he will forgive and love me. How do I know this? Because of Jesus; who is God’s son. Jesus was sent to us by God to die for us so that we may live eternally with God in his kingdom. I know you must think I am some “crazy Christian who feels they were saved.” The funny thing is this is so far from the truth. I actually cringe at the word “Christian” because of the negativity it can have. The truth is, I wanted to open up to you because I can relate to your fear so much! God loves you and your family so trust in that! If God does not bring you comfort, these CD’s definitely will, so stick with it! I know you will get through these feelings JDar11! I did! I wish you all the best and I hope this helps!

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”