Challenges to faith

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
KKross

Post by KKross » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Everybody!

I am a Christian who lives in a city where I seem to encounter many people who challenge my faith. I have often been asked, "How can you believe in a Christian God when you have gone to college and have a master's degree?" I still hold onto my faith, but little doubts creep in to my mind. It is also a challenge when you see scandals among various Christian clergy. Then sometimes I think, "Maybe religion is just a psychological defense our mind erects to keep us from despair." Anyone have any similar thoughts and how thye have coped?

SilverLining

Post by SilverLining » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:12 am

Hi KKross,

When we become a Christian, God doesn't expect us to check our brains at the door. People who think you can't be educated and a Christian are ignorant themselves. Remember the scripture in 1 Corinthians 1:18-25: <span class="ev_code_RED">"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men."</span>

Following Christ is a matter of faith. There has always been and will always be those who think a person is "weak" or "needing a crutch" by following Christ. I believe it takes more strength to stand, in the face of adversity, for what you believe in that just go with the flow.

As for the Christian clergy who have become involved in scandals, unforunately, man will fail. We are to look to Christ and Christ alone. He is the only one who lived a sinless life. All of us are subject to fall into temptation, if we are not watchful.

Drawing close to God in prayer and reading His word will help you when doubts may come your way. Being a Christian doesn't exclude us from trials and hardship but we don't have to go it alone.

I hope you have support where you are through a good church or Christian friendships. Fight the good fight of faith. No one ever said it would be easy. ;) Tammy
Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

struggling Christian

Post by struggling Christian » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:19 am

I have struggled with doubts about my faith. All sorts of doubts. But I always come back to the fact that the Bible makes more sense than anything else. If I try to figure life out apart from God's Word all I am left with is questions and no answers. I struggled with my faith for many years until I just realized I have to accept God's Word as truth and believe all of it or none of it. Life would truly be hopeless without God or His Word. We will never be able to understand everything while on this earth but when we accept things by faith God gives us peace and opens our hearts to the truth. If you struggle with ocd like I do then of course having doubts is natural for you. Don't give the doubts more power than they deserve, just let them come and go. The more you wrestle with them the more powerful they become. I still struggle with doubt but my mind is made up that there is a God and His Word is true. Trust God and leave all the consequences to Him.

KKross

Post by KKross » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:49 pm

Thank you for your responses. They really help!

Someone told me recently that if I wasn't religious I wouldn't have issues with anxiety and depression!

You are right about this not being easy, and the bible passageyou quoted was very inspirational.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:21 am

Good points Tammy and struggling Christian--KKross, many people always seem to have an answer to a problem that never have experienced it before. I know many people that aren't religious that have a lot of problems!

I think we as Christians have to remember just like what Tammy said is that we all are subject to trials and temptation. We are human beings and besides having Christ in our lives, we can have His Spirit, the still small voice, to give us peace and guidance.

We also are subject to Satan and his influence, which comes in various ways and forms and is very abundant in our society. So we have to be more diligent in working on having positive thoughts and actions. So it is no wonder why we find life difficult at times. I'm glad you good people are here to help encourage us as we go about our days. Thanks! :) Paislee

hillbilly ma

Post by hillbilly ma » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 am

:) Hi Every body
I agree with everyone has said about faith in God. I struggling in my faith some times but with a lot of prayer and reading the bible and others I got through and it helps me with my anxiety & depression. oh also go to church helps a lot too.
hillbilly ma

Shades

Post by Shades » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 am

I have had struggles with my faith life. God is so important. He loves us no matter what we do.

My life would not be what it is if I didn't have Him. He is only one that I can turn to for help anytime or any hour. I learned this the hard way. Trust me, if you put all your faith in God, your life will be complete.

What has gotten me through my struggles with faith are praying, reading the bible, listening to motivational songs, and talk to God.

2tiffy

Post by 2tiffy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:05 pm

I feel so guilty right now cause anytime something bad happens I go right to God shocked, amazed and confused. Why do I do that when He shows me continually that He is with me? I feel defeated when things don't seem to ever go smoothly. And then the crazy thoughts begin..ugh!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:20 am

I think this is common to most people. I am always shocked when bad things happen! LOL! Hey, I'm doing what I'm suppose to Lord, and you allow my husband to have a brain tumor, or financial reversal or a friend betrayed me or my father forgot that he wrote me out of his Will or did he? :roll:

Yep, even when I know that bad things happen to good people. I'm still caught off guard, but then I remember that life is a TEST! We are here to be tested in every which way that God decides is best for us. And he will send a Deliverer...that's the best part and always good to remember when we are having "bad" days or years. Things will get better or we will learn how to live with the problem. Ugh. Oh, yeah, Yippee! :D Paislee

Plastic_Starlight

Re: Challenges to faith

Post by Plastic_Starlight » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:19 pm

KKross
I can understand where you're coming from. I'm in university right now. I'm not sure when things changed but the attitude seems to be that it's almost silly to believe in God once you're educated.
Personally though I know that I am only where I am thanks to my faith. I know that God has been with me every step of the way through my education and my education reveals more and more proof of his existance as I study the incredible mysteries of biology, psychology, even literature. Above all else God wants happiness for his children. Happiness definatly comes through education.
One day I was at school talking to someone in my class when some girl was talking about how silly religon was and how if you thought about it it was totally ok to sin because Christ already paid for it. And that got me thinking.
What happened in the garden wasn't just for sin. Christ took on our everythings. Our Pains, sicknesses, sorrows, and sins. and he did all this so he would know how to succor us. Everything you feel your anxiety, depression everything. Christ felt those too. For you individually. I can Empathize with you because I have a small understanding about what you're going through, but Christ knows exactly how you feel individually.
I have my doubts, worries, fears. those things can affect my faith a little because I'm human and can't always see the big picture, and I'm not always the most patient little girl. but it's my faith in the atonement, the knowledge that it applies to me even if I'm not a bad kid that keeps me going. The Knowledge that I'm not alone, even if I am. ( does that make sense?) gives me hope. It gives me a reason to drag my carcas out of bed some days.
Christ knew me, and the life I would lead, just like he knows yours. He went through what he did, because he knew we're worth it. And he wants to help.
if you're feeling doubts, get on your knees, let out everything that's in your heart. God is listening and always answers. I can't tell you how many times I've asked if anyone is even there or if I'm just talking to the ceiling. ( it sounds silly but I'm human and I need to be reminded :) ) I can say with out a doubt, you're never just talking to the ceiling.

anyway I hope that helps, maybe it's just rambling, but I think having a masters and still believing in God just shows how smart you really are :D

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”