Great quote for overcoming anxiety

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
WW

Post by WW » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:01 am

I saw this over the weekend:
"God helps those who help themselves, the most."
I used to try and pray my anxiety away and took meds, but once I finally had the tools to help myself, I think that is when God got involved and helped me start to overcome my problems. To get God's help I think you need work on yourself be it in Lucinda's program or some other form of CBT type program. Things tend to fall into your lap if you are working on yourself and open to suggestions! My old therapist recommend a book to me called Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz and said it had a simple and effective thought countering exercise in it called the TEA form that could help me if I worked on them daily and I ignored her suggestion. Then about a year later I saw a post on here recommending that book and the TEA forms and I decide to give them a try. Well they have changed my life and my anxiety is under control and life is worth living again and I still kick myself for wasting all that time before even giving that advice a try. Bottom line is I could feel the hand of God helping me once I started to put my efforts into doing the work and I am extremely grateful now.
Help yourself and God will show up and help you even more!

GrammyP44

Post by GrammyP44 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:07 am

Hi WW, would you mind sharing what the TEA forms are? How did it help you? What did you have to do?

Thanks so much.

GrammyP44

nspyredj

Post by nspyredj » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:32 am

Hi WW-

I appreciate the post and info. I have been having a difficult time with spirituality lately, but know the quote well.

This is just a little thought: God will help you, regardless. He's there always, whether we see or feel him or not. I believe He helped me find the program and figure out a way to pay for it (a big deal for me) and use it. I believe that we will always get help. But, yes, I believe that you do get more help when you are strong enough to ask for it.

So, thank you for reminding me that I need to ask more often and not be so hard headed to try to do it all alone.

-J
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly."

WW

Post by WW » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:54 am

Hi Grammyp44,
Sorry so late in getting back to you but I have not visited the boards since that last post you replied to. In answer to your question TEA forms stand for Thought, Error, Analysis. You write the Anxiety causing thoughts down then identify which thinking errors the anxiety causing thoughts contain and then you analyze the thoughts and counter them with a more rational and objective thought. It seems too basic to work, but they really can transform the way you think and react to things. I have learned to manage my anxiety using them daily and whenever a situation arises that stresses me out or upsets me. I hope this makes sense and is helpful to you. Have a great holiday season!

WW

Post by WW » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:55 am

nspyredj,
You're welcome and thank you. I think we all need reminders from time to time :)

WW

Post by WW » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:31 pm

GrammyP44,
How are you doing? I hope my explanation made sense and you are feeling better now? Let me know how you are doing? Take care!

r.michelle

Post by r.michelle » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:53 pm

WW...I believe what you posted about God helps those whom help themselves....I have prayed anxiety and panic along with self medicating away for years...but like Moses I refused to listen and then was down everytime my own way failed...

it was not until I got serious about being well and doing it the right way that Gods presents was felt in my life....now don't get me wrong I know he was always there caring and loving me.

I also love Esther...She calculated the cost of her actions, set priorities and prepared for what was to come. She determined what she should do and moved full steam ahead...I have took that to heart during this program...it has worked.
Blessings to all.

WW

Post by WW » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:59 am

Originally posted by r.michelle:
WW...I believe what you posted about God helps those whom help themselves....I have prayed anxiety and panic along with self medicating away for years...but like Moses I refused to listen and then was down everytime my own way failed...

it was not until I got serious about being well and doing it the right way that Gods presents was felt in my life....now don't get me wrong I know he was always there caring and loving me.

I also love Esther...She calculated the cost of her actions, set priorities and prepared for what was to come. She determined what she should do and moved full steam ahead...I have took that to heart during this program...it has worked.
Blessings to all.
Excellent post and thanks for sharing! I am so glad you have seen the results in your life like I have in mine, through helping God to help you. It is a powerful and wonderful feeling! Be well my friend and many blessings to you and all.

WW

Post by WW » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am

I hope everyone had a nice Easter and is helping themselves and allowing God to help you too :)

WW

Post by WW » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:49 am

r.michelle,
Have not heard from you in a long time and just wondering how you are doing? Hope you are ready for the Holidays and feeling great! If you see this please reply and give me an update.

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”