For followers of "less popular" spiritual path's

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
Craw

Post by Craw » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:38 am

This thread wasn't meant for the direction it's going in now.
Originally posted by gettingfree:
It's great if you disagree! That means you're your own thinker. However, it's better to disagree when you have actually studied the material at hand :)
You broke rule #3, don't make assumptions. :p You're kind of green here to be taking on such a belligerent tone. Have we met before? ;)
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
~John F. Kennedy

Chris~tine

Post by Chris~tine » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:49 am

<A HREF="http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/</A>

This is for you gettingfree. This should get you going. lol

Craw

Post by Craw » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 am

Originally posted by gettingfree:
Truly, I am not taking a belligerent tone.
Truly, you are.
I understand that people have had such negative experiences with Christianity that it's almost impossible to talk about it without a lot of negative associations coming up.
As stated more than once, this thread was not created for that subject. What you've done is called hijacking. You are free to make a new thread and talk about whatever you like.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
~John F. Kennedy

CatharineTheGreat

Post by CatharineTheGreat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Hello:

I haven't even purchased the program as of yet. I do own Panic to Power and am currently reading it, and my psychiatrist highly recommended this site when I ask him about it.

I am thrilled to find this thread as well. I have just sat and read the entire thread.

I tried the way of faith and the way of no faith and my position was one of profound confusion. This is a quote, actually.

I so admire people who have the courage to examine their own beliefs, and start a journey to find the shoes that fit.

Mine is a long story, and journey over a time of approx. 35 years, starting from a position of faith, losing that faith, floundering, finding a 12 Step program that really worked.

And then with some sobriety rediscovering that even the program as I knew it, was only a stepping stone to bring me back to at least a sane and sober place to begin a new search, for meaning, and substance and beliefs that are genuinely my own.

I think the most spiritual day in my life was an afternoon when i sat quietly and honestly listen to the still quiet voice. And I began to abandon old beliefs and searching and seeking for something that fit.

If someone had told me 20 years ago I would one day convert to Judaism, I would have clearly told them they were out of their mind.

I was a student at the time, actually I'm always a student, but I took some courses on the Hebrew prophetsand found I really enjoyed those courses. Many years passed, and with the internet so new and excited. One day I searched again for Jewish Studies, and up popped a whole course line of Jewish study from a site in Jerusalem. So I took all of their courses.
Years went by.....and one day a Jewish friend said to me how sad she was, it was a Jewish holiday and she missed her deceased parents, and celebrating the holidays with them.

So we actually made preparations and celebrated a Jewish holiday together.

And the big discovery was, that "practicing" brought a whole new Joy, "doing" brought a whole new light. So for the first time in my life I actually walked into a synogogue, trembling and shaking.

And even then, it took another 10 years to officially go through the process of an official conversion.

And I found my path, I found the shoes that fit, I found a whole new world.

But it was more like Judaism took me, long before it ever crossed to mind to go there. Just studying for the credits I needed.

And now I'm back in university again, like an elderly student, once again studying for credits in a Jewish studies program.

All of this over 30 years. A very long story, made as short as I could.

I love reading about your spiritual journeys. And I'm so glad this is the very first thread I happend to come across.

So as someone else said several pages back, there is much to learn in books, and from teachers but I say there is much to learn from the discipline of practice.

I look forward to sharing more with you. I esp. liked reading the Native American ways, I've only ever met a couple of people who study and practice their native religion, but those few that I have met, or just read, speak with a certain truth that I find attractive.

My username name is CathareTheGreat because somebody else is using Catharine, but please just refer to me as Catharine.

spowers

Post by spowers » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:27 pm

I was under the impression that this thread was about less popular spiritual paths, not mainstream ones. I didn't read all 12 pages, and now I really don't want to. If I wanted to be told I should believe in Jesus and that since I don't I'm going to hell, I'd go hang out with my friends from high school, or go to a church.
I'm Wiccan, and if anyone wants to talk about Paganism and Pagan experiences, just message me, because I probably won't be back to this thread much, and I'd really like to talk to people of the same or similar faith.

gettingfree

Post by gettingfree » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 pm

hi Catherine!

gettingfree

Post by gettingfree » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm

What do Wiccan's believe?

karenLeigh

Post by karenLeigh » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:16 am

I noticed this thread at the top of the spiritual forum. So as a spiritual person and human being I was curious :roll:
I'm being very sincere when I say this. I beleive alot, if not all people don't want to be told what to do. Especially Adults. Maybe that is why there are alot that get offended.
I don't know everything about my personal faith and would never claim to. If I did there would be no reason to move forward or to grow spiritaully. I'm sure we could all agree with that. :)
I was just curious to know...do other faiths believe there are consequenecs for their actions?? In all sincerity...I don't ever get the chance to talk to such a diverse group of people. So I was just wondering....
"Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

BTTRFLY

Post by BTTRFLY » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:27 am

I totally agree with Spowers, this thread was not created for Christian rhetoric, it was for people who have beliefs and faiths that are NOT Christian. I am Christian, but like Karenleigh am really interested in learning about the other faiths, so I hope those of you who have posted about them will continue to do so, and those of you trying to push your Christian beliefs on someone else, go to one of the 5000 other threads on that topic.

I have a friend who is Wiccan, and I do NOT completely understand it, but from what she tells me it is about being in tune with nature, and energy around you...that is the extent of what I have been told, would like to learn more??
"If nothing ever changed...there would be no Butterflies." Author unknown

karenLeigh

Post by karenLeigh » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:18 am

Let's keep it positive. :D Isn't that ONE of the reasons we are here? To get better and be encouraged and empowered by others.
Last edited by karenLeigh on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”