Need Help

The spiritual response to anxiety and depression
Mary L. Smith

Post by Mary L. Smith » Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 am

I'm just starting this course and would like some input and mentoring from a Christian. I have COPD and that compounds panick and anexity attacks. Thankyou
Mary
freeone

Post by Guest » Wed May 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Dear Mary,
I am a Christian and would be glad to help you in any way that I can....

Just let me know what you need help with...God Bless

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 3:34 am

Mrs. T-Bone, I am so glad you have answered me.
I have no idea what I am doing on this computer,let alone having panick and anxiety attacks. I really try to trust the Lord with all my heart and I know I have fallen short, but I also know that God loves me, even when I fail. I just need someone who understands what I am going through. I really have no support here, I am a widow and my only daughter lives out of state. My friends talk to me if I call or reach out to them, so most of the time I sit here alone praying that God will give me the breakthrough that I need. My anxiety and panick attacks are compounded by my COPD and always seem to worsen when I try to be obedient to God and quit smoking. I rebuke satan, but at the same time I know I have to make choices also. I have been hospitalized at Christmas and Easter this year and find it very scary to say the least. Being alone is what makes it so difficult for me. Any suggestions would help.
Mary

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 4:06 am

Hello Mary L. Smith,

Your post is very touching. I can't imagine literally being alone. At times I feel alone even surrounded by family and friends.
First of all keep praying Mary. As for your friends try to understand them. They don't understand your illness and most times do not know what to say.
If you attend church or any social gathering try to seek out one person to connect with. I find that helping someone else always takes my mind off of me.
You say your a widow. Do you know anyone who has lost a loved one in death you could comfort? Or what about a young mother, single or married they could always use any encouragment.

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 4:24 am

mary,
I hope that what the others wrote will help you out.I do wish that there were others around to help give you the support that you need.remember that we will be there for you through the forum as well as when we pray.you will get through this and come out on top. let the program give you the skills and tools that you need and you will be on your own journey.stronger, happier and smiling more then ever.take care and let us know how you are doing.God Bless
don
CEYLON,,
good to see you in the forum again. I wrote you a message but did not get a reply. I sent it to your email address. my wife has fibro and she suffers from fatigue and pain most of the time.we found out that water theraphy helped her alot and will do that again as soon and she recovers from bladder surgery yesterday.keep the faith and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.God Bless
don

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 5:17 am

Mary,

Everyone is here for u in this forum! We all understand what you are going through, YOUA RE NOT ALONE!!!!! Keppy praying and stay positive. Ms. T Bones will help you out greatly, shes amazing, and we are all here if you need to talk, anytime!!!

God Bless

Post by Guest » Thu May 07, 2009 7:24 am

Dear Mary,
I am sooo sorry to hear about you being a widow, and feeling all alone!!!

My mother has COPD, and she has never smoked.
Sometimes, I wander if this can be inherited, although, I have never done any research on it!!!

I suggest that if you want to quit smoking, to try and find a support group in your area.
You may also need to try the patch, since, anyone who has smoked will have withdrawals, and they are very unpleasant!!!

I would place all of my trust in the Lord. He is more than able to take care of you, even with the COPD!!!!

He is faithful and the best friend we could ever have!!!!

As for the panic and anxiety attacks, I pray that you have the program and are working on it!!!

I, also, suggest that you read the "Hello Everyone" that I posted on the General Comments part of this forum.

Upon reading that, then, I strongly suggest that you look directly beneath that posting to the Overcoming Panic Attacks Video posting.

This video is very therapeutic, and should be downloaded and saved to your desktop, so, you can watch and use it, several times daily!!!

Remember, although you may feel alone, that you are not alone.

Everyone on this forum cares deeply for one another, and we all try to help each other!!!

May God Richly Bless You Is My Prayer!!!

Post by Guest » Fri May 08, 2009 11:16 am

Ms. T Bones Thanks for the encouragement and I will follow your suggestion and read HELLO EVERYONE and view the video.
I know I need to quit smoking, but my pastor said not to use the patches. Of course he also said him and the prayer team would come over and pray over me and annoint me and my house, and has never showed up.
Blessings to you,
Mary

jadee

Post by jadee » Fri May 08, 2009 2:56 pm

Dear Mary,
I can't tell you what to do, but, I would use the patches!!!!

I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone else how to overcome the tobacco addiction.

I think God gave someone the knowledge to make the patches, so, they could use them to help themselves get off of tobacco products.

I hope you listen to your own heart on this one...God Bless
When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future. When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past. ~Author Unknown

Post by Guest » Sat May 09, 2009 12:38 am

Hello:
I think that when you have the addiction to nicotine that it is certainly permissable to use any doctor approved means available to get beyond the habit.
I don't know what is behind your pastor's reasoning on this but belIeve I can assure that he has some bad habits, himself or herself, needing to be conquered. Because no one is perfect.
I smoked for years. I didn't want to but I was addicted to that behavior. Then the time came that I knew I must quit it. That was 12 years ago.
I used the patches. I used them for 7 days. I wouldn't have hesitated to use them longer. But after 7 days I made it own my on. No, it wasn't easy but it certainly wasn't as hard as I had imagined. I quit cold turkey. I didn't want to prolong the withdrawal by tapering.

I was a 2 and 3 pack a day smoker. If I got off those cigs., I think that anyone can do it.
It is all a matter of how bad you want to be free of them.

I'm so glad I did it. I'm so happy that I don't have to smoke any more.
I had smoked for many years. What a waste of my energy that was.

Your faith will help you conquer that habit.
You need not rely on a pastor's faith. You can rely on your own faith.

Wishing the best for you.
MJ

Return to “Spirituality for Anxiety & Depression”