Intestinal memory?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
RoseQ

Post by RoseQ » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:40 am

Last year when I started having panic attacks (what prompted me to get the program) I had food poisoning. I was in the bathroom for 5 days, couldn't eat anything, in pain. That's when the panic attacks started.
I've come a long way since then, but to this day, if I have to have a BM (esp. diarrhea) I get that all over body "flush" feeling like I get when I'm about to have a panic attack. It's taken a long time to realize that is what was happening because I still have anxiety when I have that feeling (and of course THIS time is the time I'm REALLY sick, KWIM?).

Do you think it's possible that my body "remembers" the jump start to my severe panic attacks with the food poisoning?

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:55 am

Hi RoseQ, It's not your body remembering, it's your mind. I think it's true with everyone with this problem that we remember the first time we had a panic attack and the circumstances surrounding it. My first one was when driving so I've had to work like hec to be comfortable driving. The fear is always there that it's going to happen again. But with the tools of this program it won't happen again. Even if we feel the attack coming on we can stop it in its tracks. I don't know what session you are on in the program, but you will learn to conquer your fear and think positive thoughts when you have this feeling.

Best of Luck, Donna

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks Donna. I finished the program nearly a year ago, but continue to listen to some of the CDs from time to time. I always have symptoms when I'm sick. Like now as a matter of fact. It's 2 am, and I'm doing well actually, but cranky because I'm tired and if I lay down I'll get nauseated and then start the anxiety process. grrrr

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”