Constipation

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Scuba Joey

Post by Scuba Joey » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:00 am

Hello Everyone;
I just recieved the program this past Monday, and have reviewed all the pre-program material, but have not yet started Session 1.I was wondering if constipation is a symptom of Irritable Bowel Syndrome,and if so if it is panic-anxiety related.It has been going on for a while.I went to see my doctor this week as I am taking zoloft,and he is monitoring it.He just simply told me to start taking one stool softner a day before bedtime. My diet is OK.I eat only whole grain breads and lots of fruits, and try to incorporate vegtables into my diet as much as possible.Any ideas. Thanks

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:02 am

I am with you about eating lots of fresh plant foods, this smoothie keeps my whole family regular, we've been making it, or at least a variation of it for over 10 years now.

Smoothie:

1-2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
3-4 very ripe spotted bananas
(add handful spinach, parsley or other green for a green smoothie)
1-2 cups other fruit such as strawberries, or frozen mangoes or berries.

If you don't have a Vitamix or other high speed blender, use some extra water or juice. Add ice if necessary. Blend until nice and smooth.

I guarantee you, drink this every morning for breakfast you will find yourself *very* regular. No need to add fiber!

Also make sure you are drinking lots of filtered or distilled water, I like to drink a good glass of it upon waking to flush out my body and stay fresh!

Another thing keeping me regular - exercise. I've been walking a lot more lately and feel wonderful.

Walking, running swimming or if you can't get outside, pop in a workout DVD and do it at home! I have 20 minute yoga and pilate DVDs, I also have some that go for a good hour, do as much as time allows. I like to do it in the morning after reading my Bible.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:54 am

Shifrah;
Thanks for your reply and your recipe.It sounds delicious,without the spinach.I do like spinach.The only problem is that I might want to add some rum to it.LOL.Just kidding.I eat a lot of bananas to begin with,and am very active at the gym with weight training,cardio training at home on my treadmill,and I attend two yoga classes a week I am a little afraid of the pilates because of some of the positions that I see them getting into,and am afraid of doing something to my back.My health club does offer a beginners pilates class maybe I will try it. Thanks Again

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Joey,

I've had a lot of the same problems, and what works best for me, is an Activia yoghurt poured over a sliced banana in the morning every day. I also got Heather's Acacia Fiber from www.helpforibs.com (help for IBS, not help for ribs, like I thought it said at first... :roll:), but I haven't been good at using it every day.

Then there are certain things I need to stay away from, like most recently - potatoes! Also fatty foods - they seem to clog me up.

Good luck!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”