Does anybody suffer from severe constipation?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
thirtysomething

Post by thirtysomething » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:21 am

I have constapation and the last 2 months or so it has been bad off and on.I eat very healthy and am not over weight. I have been having more fiber as dr. suggested. Yesterday the doctor says she thinks I have IBS. I also drink plenty of water and walk alot. I also get pains and wierd feelings in my stomach. I can relate to these types of problems. Guess I will just keep up what I am doing and see how it goes. Also I sometimes just numbness and light tingling( like pins and needles feelings) on the left side of my face. this is weird and I hate when it happens. Sometimes it lasts for a few minutes to a few hours sometimes it lasts for a few days. Have been going to the doctor and had blood tests. Yesterday she said call her if it lsats for more than a few hours. And A have had it for a few hours today. I don't know if it is caused by anxiety or not if it is prolonged by worried thoughts about it? I try to do self talk and tell my self it is nothing it will go away , it has before. I'ts probably just anxiety etc. But sometimes when it doesn't go away it gets scary and I start wondering what to do should I call dr. wait a day or 2 and see what happens? It is not major anxeity but brings a prolonged sense of uneasiness at the least. Can anyone relate to this or have any suggestions?

JeannieW

Post by JeannieW » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:56 am

Oh boy, you sound just like me! And if I was to call the doctor, I would probably take a panic attack on the phone, because then I would be admitting something is wrong..and just the thought of that would make my anxiety worse.
I wish I had a solution...but unfortunately I don't...but you are definitely not alone!

Thefriend

Post by Thefriend » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 am

Ok, If you have not found the answer yet, I may know something that will help. There are integrated nerves in the lower part of you spine which control bowel and bladder movements. If you have the money, go to an acupuncturist so he can put needles there and thusly stimulate the region. Don't worry, it does not hurt. It is just frightning because it is knew and different. Try it out and let me know if it helps!!! Chao! :cool:

KRISTEN

Post by KRISTEN » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Yep,been going on for years.I dont worry about it.When I go I go.

k.rae

Post by k.rae » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:09 am

OMG. I've had this problem my whole life. It's always been such a source of embarrassment because sometimes when I finally go I stop up the toilet. So I avoid going in public places or other's houses, even when I'm away on vacation or something. The constipation makes me feel heavy and tired and bloated.
Doctors usually say drink more water, exercise more, eat more fiber, which is all good advice (we should do those things anyway), but doesn't really work for me. Some of my friends eat like crap and are still extremely regular. (That's my it's not fair voice) And even though taking a laxative will help in the short-term, after I go the problem doubles. It's like the laxative just irritates things.
I was wondering if this had anything to do with the anxiety and I still don't know. I'm going to try some of the things mentioned here. Thanks to Summer for starting this topic. It's an embarrassing subject, but I don't feel so strange and gross now. It doesn't help that I'm surrounded by some of the most regular people on earth.
Ugh! What a relief that I'm not alone.

monty'smom

Post by monty'smom » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:29 am

It doesn't help that I'm surrounded by some of the most regular people on earth.
Ugh!
Hi k.rae,

I am sorry but I had a laugh over this quote!!
Thanks, needed it!!

Nope you have a lot of company with this problem. I have been dealing with IBS since 1991. I go from one extreme to the other. I just never know which it will be or for how long. I havn't found anything that stops either but will attest to metamucil for constipation. No cramping, it usually takes a couple of days when you first use it..for me anyway.

Then it's the old icky kaohpectate for the other side of the coin.

Good Luck!!!!!
BELIEVE YOU CAN CONQUER ANYTHING~ AND YOU WILL !! I DID IT, YES !!!!!

elle62

Post by elle62 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:03 am

Wow!!! I can't believe I finally found this. I have been scouring the internet for about a year and the only information I could find is drink more water, eat more fiber, get more exercise. But I've always been health conscious, so I have always done those things. I get so bloated I can't even fit in my clothes. Sooo frustrating!!!! Information here has been a godsend. Thank you everyone!!! :)

Indygal

Post by Indygal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:36 am

Hi Summer...the best thing I have found for constipation is Benefiber--you can mix it in something to drink and I cant even taste it, and then there is Activia, this is a small bottle , comes in a pack of 4 or 6,found in the yogurt section of your store, drink one a day, and you will have relief, its worked for me and I had to stop drinking it for a couple of weeks.
Hope that helps if you have not already found a solution, I see this is dated almost a year ago.

halfaharte

Post by halfaharte » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:24 pm

Anyone who has anxiety and also these IBS symptoms needs to rule out Celiac Disease. I found out I am a Celiac about a year and a half ago--I cannot have gluten. When I do, accidentally, I have worse episodes of anxiety. I found out, due to my skin disease which is only from gluten, and the fact that I was so anemic due to damage in my small intestine from this disease--I always thought I had a virus!! Ask your doctor--really--my mom read an article and informed me of it, and I told the doctor and was diagnosed--really believe it has alot to do with anxiety!!

karen louise

Post by karen louise » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:13 am

Hi Summer,

I also suffer from severe constipation. I used to be the exact opposite, if I would eat there better be a bathroom near because within 15 mins I would need it.
Now my bowls won't move without help of some form or another. I really feel strange about talking about this but Oh well.
I did find a probiotic that helps with the bloating and I drink senna tea as well as eat Panda licorice and I have a routine as to how I use these products.
I have been to a gastroenterologist who put me on meds that did not work. Have tried self help IBS programs and finally through research and trial and error came up with these products that work for me.
Black Strap Molasses Unsulfured is also supposed to be very effective but did not work for me.
Please get in touch if you would like to talk or if I can help in any way.
Karen

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”