Does anybody suffer from severe constipation?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Summer Nicholas

Post by Summer Nicholas » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:13 am

Okay...so I've had panic attacks for years. I was on medicine for them and was able to go off of them for about 3 years now. Before, I had the horrible stomach cramps with diahrrea issue...now I have the complete opposite. My doctor wants to put me back on medication, but I have a husband on a 6 month deployment, a 2 year old and a 8 month old...so I really don't have a lot of time for the side effects. I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from constipation because I see a lot about the diahrrea, but not about constipation!!!
Thanks

angeleyes66

Post by angeleyes66 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:59 am

Hey Summer..I too suffer from severe constipation..and as u..it all started with diahrrea a good part of the time..or should I say most of the time..I found out last December that I have IBS..and it deffinitly has not been an easy road for me to travel on since then..at first I seemed to have more diarhrrea..then anything..I take the medication Bentyl 10mg.for my IBS..three times a day..have totaly changed my diet around..no fried foods..no fats (to speak of)..more vegetables..(but beware of green beans..corn..well those are no-no's for me anyway)..they severly constipate me)..more fruits..and PLENTY-PLENTY of fluids..ESPECIALLY water..I drink it constantly during the day..and also a good exercise routine helps..but beware..even after following all these guidelines..I still get severly constipated at times..but then again i also am on anti-anxiety meds..and anti-depressant meds..which probably don't help..especially the latter of the two I just mentioned..I know for a fact..that one of the main side-effects from that med..is CONSTIPATION..but at this point in my life..(I have benn on both meds..for over 10 years..I have somehow managed to deal with it..or should I say have found new ways to deal with the constipation issue..If I go longer than three days with out a bowel movement..I take something called..Senekot-S..its a stool softner..and laxative combined..and works usually overnight..with very little discomfort(cramping)..also try a small amount about 4-6 oz. of warm prune juice..hot tea..or just some plain ole warm to hot water with a bit of lemon in it..anyway..I'm not sure if anything that I have told u will help u..(Even though I hope it does,for your sake)..but, I just wanna say i know what u are going through..and it deffinitly is not PLEASANT at all!!..well good luck..let me know if I have been of any help..take care.. :) :)

karmish

Post by karmish » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:17 am

i also have chronic constip-- nothing has worked for years, enemas, miralax, laxatives, but a good friend of mine turned me onto this tea-- its called " CHIRO-CLEANSE, and it worked overnight! the first time!! you can get it at some chiropractors' offices, or go online at chirocleanse.com i think it is-- have a cup each night b4 bed and in the morning you go! you might get some cramps the first few times you try it-- but it works! i've gone every day since i started drinking it every night-- hope it works for you-- good luck!

Amy Steckler

Post by Amy Steckler » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:30 am

Something that might work for you as it works for me is Metamucil. They have a new kind and its Berry plus sugar free. It tastes just like koolaid. For me it works within about 30 minutes. I have constipation due to being pregnant and Metamucil does the trick for me. It might be worth a try, its pure fiber and is good for you. Also, you could try eating more fruits an apple a day does keep the doctor away. Good Luck!

Amy

Summer Nicholas

Post by Summer Nicholas » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:54 am

Thank you so much!!! I do drink prune juice. I went to the doctor yesterday for this problem and they definitely think that I have IBS. She told me that I need to take my anti depressent because I am having so much muscle tension that it is making my IBS worse!!! She said that the anti depressent will help my muscles to relax because it will help my anxiety...so I guess that is what I am going to do...even though I don't like the side effects from the celexa (the first 2 weeks mean extra anxiety)!! Anyway, thank you so much for your suggestions...It is nice to know that I am not the only person that has this problem!!!

Lynn1981

Post by Lynn1981 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi, all.

It's good to be able to talk with people who share the same problem. As you all know, constipation is usually just a big joke with people. The average person has no idea how horrible it can be.

I have had chronic constipation along with chronic anxiety since I was a child. The anxiety is so much less after doing this program and I am grateful for the program and the support of all of you online.

After years of trying enemas, laxatives, Metamucil, eating tons of fiber, drinking tons of water (which helped some) I now take Amitiza, mineral oil, drink 8 to 16 ounces of water a day. My diagnosis is chronic idiopathic constipation--it could be IBS with constipation only, but regardless the Amitiza has been a God send. Zelnorm worked too but it was taken off the market. If you have problems with swallowing air and/or excess gas, try taking Beano before each meal. That has worked for me.

Lynn

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi....when I was pregnant I suffered with such chronic constipation it was terrible. It was so bad that it would cause a plug type blockage and just wouldnt come out...couldnt even get an enema beyond it to do one. It was that bad.
They gave me a drug called COLACE you can buy this over the counter. Its a very mild but powerfull stool softner. Unlike laxative that turns it to water its a softner that makes it easier to pass.

Many many many senior citizens take this product daily. After my pregnancies my body has been able to go back to normal and I no longer have this problem chronically but if I ever get stopped up so to speak one dose and Im moving by morning but not in a violent way.

Of course check all meds with your doctor or pharmacist against the drugs you may already be taking but I found great releif with this.

And as the others have said fluids and fiber are the key. Apples, grape juice, raisins, these are all good but if you need the extra push like I did Colace is what I used.
good luck.
dodger.

Bri

Post by Bri » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:54 am

I too had diahrrea every day for over a year and that followed with a few years of chronic constipation. When a doctor finally diagnosed me I researched alternatives to the medication. I take enzymes that also have probiotics in them made by Enzymedica with my meals, and flax seed oil, a good multi vitamin and the best of all is a mineral supplement called Natural Calm Plus Calcium. It is a magnesium supplement and magnesium works wonderfully and naturally for constipation. I had to start out with one teaspoon to let my body adjust so didn't get diahrrea. I now can take two teaspoons up to two times a day. The probiotics and enzymes really help when I do get occassional diahrrea. Have you ever been tested for food allergies? My daughter has a lot and I found out her problems where from being allergic to milk, soy and gluten containing grains, just to name a few. It's a simple blood test. Avoidance of those foods helps her a lot. Hope this helps.

maxygolf

Post by maxygolf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:08 pm

I've had it all my life.
I started getting debilitating bouts of cramps with trips to the ER from it. My gastroenterologist put me on a high fiber diet- at least 30 gm fiber/day- along with lactulose and after 3 years it retrained my bowel.
I was on norpramine which causes some constipation.

dlady7

Post by dlady7 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:45 am

I too have struggled with constipation for all well now most of my life for more than 20 years I was constipated. No matter the medications. I remember crying trying to go. Now I've changed my eating habits alot. I leave the fried foods alone, not alot of sweets, lots of fruits and vegetables, plenty of water, not to many juices, no sodas and I exercise (water aerobics is all I can do for now) and what modern medicine could not do. A change of lifestyle has done. However, if I get really stressed out the constipation returns but for the most part even that mild. So I hope this will help someone. I know it may be alot to give up but if you hurt the way I did and have tried everything else maybe you'll want to try this. The body can and will heal itself if given the right tools to do so.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”