What are the symptoms of IBS?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
BethDyess

Post by BethDyess » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:34 pm

I have been looking ont he interent for IBS Symptoms.

See I will go get something to eat and within a few hours my stomach is churning and I feel like I want to throw up.

I have had my thyroid checked and the dr even checked me for female problems.

Is this IBS? Is IbS caused by anxiety? I mean can sudden fear and adrinaline cause you to get sudden loose stools? Just curious?

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:49 am

Hi Beth,

Have you tried taking supplemental enzymes? It sounds a lot like the food you are eating may not be digesting well, and you might need to take digestive enzymes. http://www.vitacost.com/produc...=digestive%20enzymes

Especially if you are eating animal products, like meats and dairy. Plus if you are improperly combining your foods, that may cause digestive issues.

My DH has trouble properly digesting food from restaurants, he usually ends up having veggie meals as they digest much better. I got him some digestive enzymes which has helped him. You take them with your meal.

Also, all food that is fresh and uncooked naturally has enzymes which assist in their digestion. All cooked foods have deranged enzymes and digestion is compromised. If you eat all fresh food, you won't need to use supplemental enzymes.

So, I'm not sure what the diagnosis might be, but it certainly sounds like a compromised digestion issue, and for a lot of people it comes out like diarrhea.

Food Combining Principles
http://chetday.com/fcprins.html

Food Combining Chart
http://www.abcompany.com/abco/...on/foodcombining.pdf

I hope that helps!
Last edited by Shifrah on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 am

I am going to look into this. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:22 pm

WebMd has some great information on IBS. It is not necessarily caused by anxiety however it is strongly correlated with it. IBS can include a wide variety of symptoms: diarrhea, gas, bloating, cramping, constipation, gi upset, etc. I have IBS & Ulcerative Colitis and can go into further detail if needed. Take care.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Beth - the food combining chart link was incorrect. Here is another. http://www.abcompany.com/abco/...on/foodcombining.pdf

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 am

My IBS works like this:

Stress, anxiety, whatever happens...

I start to have the constant feeling of having to go...going frequently, not diarrhea though...then stomach cramping, which is temporarily relieved by eating or going to the bathroom...but then food hits my gut, and the cramping and going starts again. After a few days of that, the cramps get more painful, and then I tend to get bloated, gassy, indigestion, and sometimes constipated. My IBS symptoms are 100% correlated with my anxiety level. Little/no anxiety= little or no IBS. Major anxiety = major IBS. IBS runs in my family, so there must be a genetic component, and it's a very real medical condition. With my mom it's more diarrhea and my grandma, has more of the gassiness and constipation. I tend to have a sensitive "belly", which reacts to onions, garlic, over-eating, meds...so it's something fundamental to the working of my digestive system. Anxiety may not cause it per se, but in my case, it sure doesn't do it any good.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi Beth,
I would highly recommend checking out the work of Dr. Stephen Wangen of the IBS Treatment Center in Seattle, WA. I have found his work to be extremely helpful in my own understanding of IBS and all of its complexities. Also, you asked about the connection with anxiety. While stress is most often NOT a cause of IBS symptoms, it CAN aggravate existing symptoms.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Beth I want to say I think it has alot to do with it. I think it gets even worse when you get yourself all worked up about things you worry about

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”