Throwing up

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
hardingb

Post by hardingb » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 am

The only problem I ever have with anxiety is throwing up. When I get anxious I will throw up and even if I haven't eaten anything in a while I will dry heave. This lasts for days at a time where I have to eat so slowly and talk to myself to avoid throwing up. I get so scared of eating that I will eat too little and become extremely hungry. Has this happened to anyone else?

Brad

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi Brad, welcome.

Your challenge is like any other, the cycle has to be broken.

By using the tools in the program, you have to face your situation with some discomfort and get yourself through it the first few times, and eventually that cycle will be broken.

Your body is working on memory in conjunction with the habit of how it reacts to feelings and thoughts being in certain situations. Once you break the cycle you will be in more control and your body will stop working on habit.

This is not much different than insomnia, ibs, overactive bladder, panic attacks, fainting or feeling like you will faint, etc. There is a trigger and a response - break the response to the trigger and you are back in control.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Thank You Shifra
your response has been very helpful to me.I also struggle with the tummy drama. When I was listening to my relaxation tape I like that part about the immersion in warm fresh water. The body part that is feeling the stress that is.I concetrate on that warm fresh water flowing and healing my stomach and it really helps. The relaxation tape is a Godsend.
Thanks again
Jill~

suz64

Post by suz64 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Brad - its' been about two year's since my bout with anxiety and the effects of nausea and vomiting. Today, I am anxiety free!

For nausea, I noticed my sense of smell was way off. I got a hankerchief, and wrapped it around my wrist. Whenever I felt nausea, or the feeling to throw-up, I breathed into my hankerchief, controlled my breathing and masked the smell. This helped me regulate my breathing, calming me down.

Also, I ate 3-5 small meals a day. Each meal included, one protein, one carbohydrate and one fruit/vegetable. This helped maintain my sugar level, which helped my anxiety.

Have faith, you'll get better. Stay on the program. Also, I highly recommend a book called, "freedom from fear" by howard liebgold. You can find it at borders.com

God bless,

Suz

4me2bfree

Post by 4me2bfree » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:46 am

Wow, and here I thought I was pretty much the only one who suffered with constant dry heaving and throwing up due to anxiety. I've heard of many who "feel" like they're going to be sick but, as for actually being (physically) sick, no, not so much. However, yes, I too am one of those who does just that and it's something I deal with frequently each and every day. If I'm not physically throwing up I am dry heaving (alot) and just waiting for the (in my mind) inevitable to hurry up and happen because I just want it to be done and over with. Actually, this part of my anxiety is the part that makes me that much MORE anxious and, in the end, it just becomes one big vicious circle. Ugh, it drives me nuts. Granted, everyone else around me somehow thinks it almost..."funny" and, just as soon as the dry heaving begins, they go scurrying off with their ears plugged to find an area far away enough in hopes they won't have to hear me go about making all my noise. To say this (the dry heaving and throwing up part) has really affected my day-to-day life is nothing short of the truth, it's a terrible thing to have to deal with and one that I find very difficult to overcome. Of course, this also puts a damper on even "wanting" to do things (outside of the home, I mean) so, in turn, I don't, my fear of getting sick in public so pronounced that I just can't make myself do it. So far, I can only "dream" of the day I actually make it into society and blend myself in with the rest of the world. Not to say I haven't tried before (I have, plenty of times) but, sure enough, once I do...out come those stomach butterflies along with the dry heaves and vomiting and back to square one I go. Coincidentally enough, it is this part (the feeling/being sick part) of my anxiety that made me post one of my [other] recent posts. I've actually been thinking of possibly getting a motorhome (bathroom equipped of course, lol) so that if I do happen to be out somewhere and the need to be sick suddenly hits me I'll at least be able to quickly duck inside and do what I need to do...in private. By all means, that idea is still being "tossed-up-in-the-air" right now but, at the moment, I will say I am giving it some very serious consideration. Heck, if it means getting myself out of this house and into another one, if only to provide me with a different view from the windows each day as opposed to the ONE AND ONLY view I see now, I would be one happy camper.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck an I sincerely do hope you find success in overcoming your anxiety, too.

Take care.

PS: Nice to meet you, everyone.

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 am

4me
big ol hugs to you. SOrry you are going thru this .I have been assured that with the breathing techniques and learning to relax that this will subside and leave in time and I am looking forward to that. For now I am taking a little swig of Pepto and that helps me alot.Also eating calming foods like apples and bananas and yogurt. It all helps alot. Take care and keep the faith.
Jill

:)

Robert perrette

Post by Robert perrette » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:40 am

i agree with jillzmind, eat small quantities, and foods that comfort you, i too had bouts with the nervous stomach dry heaves stuff, use the relaxation tape before and after you eat, and try not too eat to much all at once, were here for ya. keep posting.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”