Getting the upper hand on my anxiety got rid of my IBS problems.

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
fazio

Re: Getting the upper hand on my anxiety got rid of my IBS p

Post by fazio » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:09 pm

I have just joined the peer support. I sufferred from IBS 16 years ago and since then I have worried about this problem. I initially bought the program in 2005 but never completed it. I recently started the program again and am in the process of completing session 2. I am determined to complete the program this time and to do it right. I am hopeful that peer support will provide additional motivation. My job has some very stressful times which I beleive causes the anxiety. I constantly worry about being too far from a bathroom. This appears to be my only true fear. I simply do not want to take the chance that an attack occurs when I cannot reach a rest room. Thus, whenever I am in that type of situation my stomach begins to grumble or I feel anxious knowing a certain event is coming up where I will have limited access. This has caused me to avoid situations like, flying, boating or even driving when I feel I may be in a traffic jam or on a highway that does not have bathrooms available on a regular basis. I know that it is all in my head and so I feel confident that I can overcome this fear. I look forward to communicating with others and working together to beat this thing.

Fazio

Private message Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Welcome Fazio!
I don't know if it is all in our heads or not but once I started using the CBT exercise called the TEA form my IBS problems disappeared with most of my anxiety.
I'm here to help though I am sporadic in posting so let me know if you have any questions?

anewway

Post by anewway » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 am

I started the program in nov 2010 and completed it in feb 2011. I had suffered with anxiety since i was a child, possibly as early as age 9. I have suffered with IBS symtoms since my late 20's. I symtoms became impossible to live with in my mid 30's and went to gastrointerologist to figure out the problem. To my surprise there was nothing medically wrong with me. The did test after test for a solid year and could find nothing wrong with me. Yet my symtoms were unbearable. So they put me on anxiety and depression med's. While these meds helped for the first year or two my symtoms slowly began to come back. I was getting more and more frustrated and feeling pretty hopeless. I started looking on my own. I tried allergy test for food allergies, I had none. How ever I did have some intolerances, so I avoided those foods. But still I had the IBS symtoms to come for not apparent reason. I made not sense. Finally, I saw Lucinda's tapes advertised. I tried them and she had the answer for me. I have gone through the program with 100% effort and commitment. And it has helped my IBS dramatically. I was to the point to were my stomach hurt everyday. Everytime I ate I would feel sick and tired. I had explosive diarreah everyday more than once a day. I was desperate. After just a few weeks I felt so much better, but now I feel like a human being. I feel good. My stomach almost never hurts me now and my diarreah very rare. I have learned that my emotions was the cause of my problems. I has been 3 months since I completed the program and I am already a 100 times better. Just think how strong I will be in a year. I did go to an accupuncturist since dec 2010 to help with the aniety too. She has told me numerous times that this program is the reason that I have healed so quickly. I believe that anyone with IBS can greatly improve their conditions with this program IF THEY FOLLOW LUCINDAS PROGRAM AS DIRECTED; diet, exercise and positive thinking. I hope this will encourage you to continue on. God Bless.

JR5

Post by JR5 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Anewway and thanks for the inspiring post. I didn't do Lucinda's program but I heard it is based on similar principles to CBT and the TEA forms and have experienced similar results to yours. I sincerely hope more people get off the med trap and find stuff like this that can help them cure their own problems :D

egriff

Post by egriff » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:43 pm

I was never diagnosed with IBS but I did have stomach probs all the time before I learned CBT and started countering my thoughts everyday in the TEA form exercise. I highly recommend it as most of my physical problems disappeared when I got my anxiety under wraps.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm not surprised egriff because I have heard similar stories about other health anxieties disappearing once people used the TEA forms to turn their thinking around. I think anxiety causes a lot more physical symptoms than most people realize. I can't believe it is coincidence that I am healthier than I have ever been since I got my anxiety issues under control :P

Didde

Post by Didde » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:55 am

I haven't had problems with IBS for a long time but now it has come back a few weeks ago.
And now I feel that I get some anxiety from the IBS, before it was the other way around.
How do I stop this from becomming a bigger problem? It feels like I'm getting sucked back in to nervousness.
Best rgrds Didde

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Didde,
Sounds like the old chicken or the egg conundrum. I am now of the firm belief that whether we realize it or not the anxiety comes first and then it becomes a vicious circle. As I said in my last post the best thing I have found for anxiety is the TEA form exercise as they turned my life around and I still use them. I recommend the CBT book by Sam Obitz http://www.tao3.com which does a nice job of outlining how to do them.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon :)

WW

Post by WW » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 pm

lilchrissy wrote:Hi Didde,
Sounds like the old chicken or the egg conundrum. I am now of the firm belief that whether we realize it or not the anxiety comes first and then it becomes a vicious circle. As I said in my last post the best thing I have found for anxiety is the TEA form exercise as they turned my life around and I still use them. I recommend the CBT book by Sam Obitz http://www.tao3.com which does a nice job of outlining how to do them.
Though I never got checked out for IBS, I did have stomach problems and diarrhea a lot before I got my anxiety under control. Like others have said it could be coincidental, but I don't think so personally. I would highly recommend trying the TEA forms if you have anxiety and stomach issues.

egriff

Post by egriff » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:13 pm

WW wrote:
lilchrissy wrote:Hi Didde,
Though I never got checked out for IBS, I did have stomach problems and diarrhea a lot before I got my anxiety under control. Like others have said it could be coincidental, but I don't think so personally. I would highly recommend trying the TEA forms if you have anxiety and stomach issues.
WW, that's very similar to what I used to go through. So glad you are over that too now :D

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”