Getting the upper hand on my anxiety got rid of my IBS problems.

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Based on my experience I would say anxiety is at the root of IBS. I used to have horrible problems with my IBS but once I joined a cbt group and gained the upper hand on my anxieties my IBS literally disappeared and has never come back. I would recommend trying to find a cbt program in your area or try Lucinda's which I never went through but is based on cbt principles. If you are really motivated you can do the cbt exercises on your own through books, but you have to be dedicated to doing them if you want to get relief. The book Been There, Done That? DO THIS! by Sam Obitz is the one we used in my cbt group and it is an easy book and outlines the thought countering exercise called the TEA form which is what has been instrumental to my recovery. I hope this helps and I hope you find something that works for you because IBS is really a pain on top of all we have to deal with anyway.

Quinroxanne

Post by Quinroxanne » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 pm

People with IBS should know how to manage their stress. Is there institutions that specializes on counseling the IBS sufferers?
The #1 information on colon health, colon cleanse, colon disease

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:20 pm

That's a good question about places that specialize specifically for IBS? There may even be a subsection of cbt treatment that deals specifically with IBS, but I don't know of any personally. I think this is a vital component of any IBS treatment plan

ksow

Post by ksow » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:24 am

I am new to the program. Has the reduction in anxiety helped with the IBS? I can't find anything else to help me. Although, the relaxation session actually makes my stomach feel somewhat better. I am willing to try anything.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:33 pm

ksow,I definitely think anxiety and how we experience stress is at the heart of IBS. I was on all sorts of meds and diets but it was not until I learned CBT that my IBS got better. It's definitely worth a try!

Kelly Chow

Post by Kelly Chow » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 am

I agree that many people have had significant relieft after CBT. It helps to calm down their central nervous system and keep IBS symptoms at bay. Certain foods however can trigger specific IBS symptoms to be present. So it does usually take a combination of treatments to really aid in reversing the symptoms of IBS. One other treatment that I have personally had much success with, is acupuncture. It removed my feelings of anxiety and nervousness after 2 sessions. Regular treatments helped to keep the thoughts and feelings away and over time, I no longer required treatment.
[url]http://www.reversingibs.com[/url]

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Kelly,
I think a combination of things is great. CBT, Diet, Acupuncture and relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation are also helpful too I think:)

can'tdanceandcan'trelax

Post by can'tdanceandcan'trelax » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi everyone, I have been reading the posts on this site for a while but have not posted much myself because I do not have the program and I feel like I may be an intruder! I have had IBS for 25 years+ (also GAD, depression, GERD and pretty much any other letter of the alphabet for about 5 yrs). The reason I am replying to this is because I found something to help the IBS by accident, it is folic acid and vitamin E taken once a day. I haven't posted this on here before because it is so simple I was afraid no one would believe it. I have four children and after #3 I started thinking about how the IBS didn't bother me as much when I was pregnant, but I didn't know why. Shortly after I had #4, I read an article discussing people who have IBS have a lack of folic acid and vitamin E. So, I started thinking about prenatal vitamins, I knew they had folic acid but it turns out mine had vitamin E, too. So...I just started taking them together and within about 2 months, I was able to go almost anywhere and do anything without worrying about where the bathroom was! I don't know why this helped or if it would help everyone but I hope it helps someone! I can't say I don't still have some IBS issues but they are mostly stress-related. Good thoughts to everyone on this site.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Don't ever be afraid to post! We are all here to help each other any way we can. If your advice helps just one person that will be great and hopefully a lot of people will benefit from your advice. I certainly don't see a downside in trying your recommendation so thanks from me :)

can'tdanceandcan'trelax

Post by can'tdanceandcan'trelax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks so much lilchrissy, I have been so nervous about posting on here because I haven't done the program. I feel like If I know something that might be helpful, I should say so. I appreciate you taking the time to make me feel good about it. I already spend way too much time feeling bad!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”