Help Please! Question about bloatiness and troubles inhaling deeply?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
SusantheChatterbox

Post by SusantheChatterbox » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 am

I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago. I have flares from time to time but the other night really took the cake. I was wondering if anyone here that also fights IBS has eaten something spicy that caused them to bloat so bad that it was hard to take in a deep breath? We had chilli for supper (which has never bothered me this bad before) and within a few hours I started bloating and feeling sick to my stomach. I noticed shortly later that it was hard to inhale deeply. It felt like something was inside me cutting off that full deep breath. Not long after that the diarrea started as well as the belching from both ends :D which finally started easing up some of the discomfort and yucky feeling. When this was at its peak the good old panic attack started in on me which definitely didn't help matters but after positive self talking to myself and talking to my husband who brought me Mylanta and sprite I manage to talk the panic down thank God!

Please let me know your story if you can relate to this. Thank you for any advice and help in advance.

God bless,
Susan

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi Susan....I have had IBS for 25+ years so I can definitely relate to the bloating -I have had that happen several times with foods that never bothered me before. I have taken gas-x which helped some and immodium -no help at all because it made me more bloated! I don't have anything very helpful to tell you except I can sympathize and I have learned to just let nature take it's course! I have had the feeling of not being able to take a deep breath and it is very scary but it does go away. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Thank you so much for replying. What is the longest IBS flare you have had? I am curious how long these flares can last as I have had one that lasted for several days so now I am worrying it there might be more wrong than just the IBS as far as my stomach problems go.

God bless,
Susan

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi Susan......Of course the first response is have your doctor check it out if you are really worried - I hate it when people tell me that but you really should if you think something's up. I can honestly say that I have had stomach problems for MONTHS at the time before I got some control over it depending on how much stress I was having. I know that doesn't sound very encouraging but I have gotten much better. I take vitaminE and folic acid every day and I would highly recommend reading Lucinda's book "From Panic to Power" if you haven't already, the deep breathing and positive thinking really do help...you just have to find what works for you. It took me YEARS to get where I am so my wish for you is to feel better SOON!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello Susan, I had had bouts of IBS in the past. I have battled with trying to understand my body....its tough with all that happens in life and its aggravating but he are some questions and pointers for you.
Does food instigate it more.
Are you very stressed before it happens.
Have you been around others with stomach flus or aches recently
Is this heredity related? Family has it down the line?
Have you seen a gastrointestinal doctor for this...and a GOOD LISTENING compassionate one at that?
As a nurse, I alway come at myself with 4 barrels loaded.....I work on my ailments holistically and they always come through....Although...it takes alot longer at times...you need patience and stamina.
First....Stress/anxiety/depression, I look at what is bothering me
SEcond....eliminate all irritating foods.processed, sodas,(escept seltzer or REAL GINGER ALE) No heavy sugar, salted or chemically reorganized foods....FResh or frozen, no additives.....Plain Jane foods....start small.....see what bothers you...its painstaking really BUT IT WORKS...Good Luck creamcheese

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:01 am

YES! What she said! I could never get my thoughts together enough to make you such an excellent list, Cream Cheese is exactly right. The only thing I will add is that I don't eat any fried or greasy foods because they give me the most trouble. I hope you are feeling better - you are in my prayers.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:43 am

Hi Susan,

This IBS, reflux, stomach pain is exactly why my health practitioner suggested I do this course. My stomach issues are definitely related to my anxiety. I have tried so many prescriptions... with no relief, and often more pain. I have tried to change my diet, eat healthier foods, eat earlier in the day (so the reflux doesn't bother me at bedtime), drink lots of water, and try to exercise (which I am on again off again with).
I am currently in a flair, that has been going on 2 months. I have a lot of bloating an pain in my lower abdomen at this time. My doctor is once again doing blood tests, scans, and then I'll have another check with the gastro. It's been about 4 years since I've had that whole gastro eval... and they didn't find anything but a hiatal hernia, reflux and then announced it was probably IBS. It is a frustrating chronic problem that most people don't understand. I don't understand it. I have flairs that last a week and go away, and then huge flairs like this one that can last months. And then just nagging discomfort day after day, that can get worse or almost disappear in the course of a day.
I am always open to suggestions! I am hoping that with this program I can figure out what I can do to help myself, and stick to it! I know that if I walked every day that would be a big help, but there are days I just won't push myself out that door.
I do a lot of deep breathing to try to relax, but like you sometimes I don't feel like I can breathe in very deeply. I am hoping to use the relaxation cd to work on that.
It's nice to meet you all, and I look forward to going through this journey together.
Pax

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:13 am

Thank you for the replies, it's so comforting to know that others understand what I am going through when my stomach is flipping out on me. I am starting to wonder if the reason my stomach has been more upset than usual is because of the vitamins I started taking about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone here take the vitamin B complex, cod liver oil, and/or iron vitamins? I started taking them because I was told the B complex vitamins are good for the nervous system, the cod liver for the immune system, and the iron for people that are anemic. I was borderline anemic the last time I had a blood test done and the doc said to just eat foods high in iron. I decided to give all three a try. On the bottles most of them say take with a meal and when researching I remember reading that the B complex vitamins can cause stomach problems for some. I thank you all for all the info you have shared with me and would be interested to hearing from any of you that take the vitamins I am taking to see if you have any problems with them.

God bless,
Susan

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Susan......Anything with iron gives my stomach a fit! If you are anemic you may need it though - you could ask your Dr. if it is worth it to take it. I don't take cod liver oil but I do take fish oil and vitamin B. I have to have something in my stomach when I take the B complex, even if it is just a cracker. Hope this helps!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”