Scared to go anywhere because of IBS?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
pearpickinporky

Scared to go anywhere because of IBS?

Post by pearpickinporky » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 pm

I've always had anxiety issues but IBS is a new thing for me, It started about 6 months ago when I got a new job and started having issues, I would have diarrhea attacks each and every morning before going to work which continued even when I got to work. It used to be that this only happened during the week when going to work but now it happens anytime I am in a situation where I can't get to a toilet easily, The thought comes into my head that a toilet isn't anywhere near by, my stomach starts cramping and well you know the rest :(

Has anyone else experienced this? How do you break the cycle?

coachchris

Re: Scared to go anywhere because of IBS?

Post by coachchris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:50 am

Hi Pear,

This Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. Thank you for your post and reaching out. I am going to send you a private message.

Talk soon.

Coach Chris

Viejo70

Post by Viejo70 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:30 pm

I have the problem and it keeps me close to home or only going to an area that has a bathroom. I have a motor home so I only go long distance in the motor home because I am taking the bathroom with me. Of course the expense of gas limits the amount of times I can use the motor home.
What I have found out is that IBS is brought on by anxiety and anxiety is brought on by the thought of IBS which is a vicious circle. My poor wife has had to pay a high price for my problem, because of the limited times out. I bought the program several years ago and only got to about where I am right now with it section 3; however, this time I am committed to see it through to the end and end this problem once and for all. I first got anxiety in college and then again about 23 years ago and it has been horrible to the point that I prayed to God and said if this is how I have to live I don't want to live any more. Fortunately for some reason God has had mercy on me because in my worse moment He said for me to teke three deep breaths and when I got home I was to ride my bicycle, it saved me. (never ever considered suicide)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Hello pear:

I noticed that your post was over a year ago, but I will send my reply anyway.

Over 15 years ago some doctors thought I had IBS. I had a couple of colon tests and this is all that they came up with. Severely disappointed by all of my doctors and also of my diagnosis I just went home with no hope at all for a solution to my problem.

Fast forward to 2006, when I finally received the proper diagnosis by a really good Gastroenterologist. That diagnosis was Inflammatory Bowel Disease. This is not the same as IBS,
Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I had been sick since 1997 and it took 9 years to get a proper diagnosis for my illness. I was relieved to find out the real name of what was causing all of my terrible bowel issues. But on the other hand I also found out that there is no cure for IBD. It has been a very embarrassing disease for me and very, very hard to define to family and friends. There seems to be little knowledge by society on this issue. It is nice to see that folks are finally coming out to share their experiences with their illness so that we can all support each other. You are not alone.

Please talk to your doctor so that you can possibly get a second opinion. You could have IBD instead of IBS. There is no cure for IBD and it is a chronic disease. The treatments are totally different from each other. Believe it or not, there are support groups in many cities for Ulcerative Colitis and/or Crohn's Disease.

LyndaLu

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”