Pro-Biotics?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
aliengal24

Post by aliengal24 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 am

I was recently on a lot of anti-biotics and was told to take pro-biotics. So, I took them and I got really bad diahreah. I also got really nausous and felt completely weak. I've heard of pro biotics making people feel great... I've taken them on few occassions, and it keeps happening. Is this normal at first?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:27 am

Heres what I know about pro-biotics, There is good and bad bacteria in our intestines all the time, when the bad get too high in numbers ( ie needing anti-biotics)you get sick, Antibiotics, there job is too wipe out all bacteria, good and bad, this works well to kill an infection but leaves our body vulnerable to a repeat infection, or secondary infection. Women tend to get yeast infections, so Pro-biotics are all the healthy good bacteria your body needs, condensed down to a pill, powder. Your putting back the good to out number the bad.
Not sure why you had the nausous, did you eat food with the pro-biotic? Also if you want to start slow, Yogurt ( look on the label for 'LAC') with LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES, it will say 'bulgaris' bifidous' etc. Start with just yogurt, and ease yourself into those healthy probiotic, also people who are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt b/c the healthy bacteria in the yogurt 'eat'and break down the milk solid proteins that normally bother lactose intolerant people. Can't drink milk, but can eat yogurt. Start there, if you still have the same reaction, I'd see a naturpath, who can help suggest helpful lifestyle changes to better heal from IBS. Good luck!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 am

Are you sure it was from the probiotic? What else where you consuming at the time? Maybe you got a little bad bacteria in something and your body was purging it out. That has never happened to me either.

Also, it is good to have your probiotics after finishing or toward the end of your antibiotics, because the antibiotics just kill all bacteria - good and bad - and taking probiotics would be a waste.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi,

I just started taking probiotics after stopping for about 2 weeks (on vacation and couldn't bring the bottle.)

I have had similar effects today. I suggest lowering the dosage and slowly increasing it. You get the runs because the good stuff is killin off all the bad stuff! So if you've got a ton of yeast etc, the probiotics will attack and it'll be uncomf. for a bit.

Stick with it though because I was completely regular for the first time in a year with probiotics!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”