Does anyone suffer from IBS, anxiety, nausea and fainting?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
needtogetbetter

Post by needtogetbetter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:11 am

Hello, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that has the same crazy problems that I do. I currently have daily diarrhea along with nausea and occasional fainting. Most of the books and websites all claim that you can't faint from a panic attack but because of my low blood pressure I actually do faint sometimes. Needless to say all of this is very embarassing and demoralizing. I recently started taking Lexapro for awhile since I couldn't go on with my daily activities and it did reduce the fainting/lightheadedness for awhile (although didn't help at all for the diarrhea) but now it seems to be losing its effectivess and I'm scared to go out. I have two small children to take care of and I need to get better. Anyone else out there with similar problems? It would be nice to know someone else that's struggling through the same thing.

butterflytoo

Post by butterflytoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Whew!The plague of IBS. I've had for years, up until the past year or so I had the constipative type. The past year has been horible. Even to the point of soiling myself. I couldn't go anywhere! Obviously! One of my online researches spoke of some studies, with some positive results by using probiotics. I started aproduct called "colon health". containing several of them. The past few months I've not been tied to a bathroom.

jenn f

Post by jenn f » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:21 pm

i also have ibs with constpation. I hate it! I am always watchful of what i eat, and at times yelling at myself for eating a food in which made me have cramps and and upset stomach. It is nice to know that there are others who suffer with this problem. It is hard to keep a chin up additude but for my kids i really do try. But i have tryed to eat the yogert that they say will help but it doesn't it just give me and upset stomach witch is not my goal. but i am hopful that with this program in time i will be on my way to being and feeling better. At the moment it is a long road and a bit scary.

jenn f

Post by jenn f » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 pm

i wont't take medication for fear that i will be in the bathroom or feeling just plain gross from all the side effects. I Think you are very brave. When you feel faint does it help to put your head between your knees and take deep breaths?
Originally posted by needtogetbetter:
Hello, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that has the same crazy problems that I do. I currently have daily diarrhea along with nausea and occasional fainting. Most of the books and websites all claim that you can't faint from a panic attack but because of my low blood pressure I actually do faint sometimes. Needless to say all of this is very embarassing and demoralizing. I recently started taking Lexapro for awhile since I couldn't go on with my daily activities and it did reduce the fainting/lightheadedness for awhile (although didn't help at all for the diarrhea) but now it seems to be losing its effectivess and I'm scared to go out. I have two small children to take care of and I need to get better. Anyone else out there with similar problems? It would be nice to know someone else that's struggling through the same thing.

butterflytoo

Post by butterflytoo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 am

Hi Jenn f... I spent years with constipation from IBS. I got fair relief with some suggestions of my Dr. at the time. I used Citrocil twice a day and he put me on a low dose of Imipramine(an antidepressant) 10-20 mg whos side effect helped greatly ruduce cramps. More recently a gi doc had me use polyethelene glycol powder alternating with mom daily(way too much for me). Check with your Dr.

ginger p

Post by ginger p » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:32 am

Before I lost my job (due to being loco), I would go around my office building's 6 or so bathrooms, selectively, because I was so embarrassed about the diarrhea. It was daily, a couple of times while driving didn't make it home. ouch.

needtogetbetter

Post by needtogetbetter » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Jenn F

Yes you're right, it's very hard to keep your chin up and not let all of this wear you down (not to mention the damage it does to your self confidence) but when you have kids you have to try that much harder. Unfortunately when I feel like I'm going to faint (due to the vasovagal response) I usually have to lay down on the floor for awhile, which is often an inopportune place such as at work, in a supermarket etc. I usually don't go out alone to many places with my kids because of the diarrhea and fainting. I'm always worried about what would happen to them if I were to have an 'episode' plus I don't want to scare them. I feel like a 'weak' mother and I definitely don't want them to end up with the same anxiety and health problems that I have. Do you ever worry about your kids getting this too? I know there's definitely a genetic component in my case..

Anita R

Post by Anita R » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:57 am

I'm another with IBS and actually went through my first colonoscopy two weeks ago. Because of all the medication I am on from broken bones, knees gone, and the extreme anxiety I got from the injuries, I was wide awake through the entire ordeal. It just takes me some time to relax anyway so 2 hours later I was out for 3 hours. ha

I am learning to laugh at myself more and hope you all do too. I bought this program over 2 years ago and am just starting it again because I only finished up to lesson 4 and freaked out about the heart attack part and stopped. Now I know it is okay to feel more anxious since that has been my biggest fear of all and, of course, I passed the Adenisone Heart Stress test with no problems and I'm still here over five years since I had that first fear. Sad to say, but two of my friends passed away with heart attacks last year and that sure didn't help my anxiety levels any.

The yogurt didn't help me either but getting off gluten has helped a great deal in the IBS department.

RPanic04

Post by RPanic04 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:25 am

I don't have IBS but I do have nausea, I can't remember the last time i WASN'T nauseas.... I basically have nausea everyday, all day, and it's been that way for years.

I'll vomit every now and then and yes I have blacked out so as far as panic attacks not causing harm, I don't agree with that.... perhaps you won't go as far as having a heart attack but when I'm panicking I definitely see real, measurable symptoms... I've even gone into a fever several times.

aliengal24

Post by aliengal24 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:43 am

I have IBS too. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of the "BRAT" diet. It's suppose to help your stomache relax when you're having an episode of IBS. It consists of bread, rice, apples and tea. You'd want to stick to white rice though, and ginger tea usually helps a little. Also, you might want to stay away from dairy products..because those are known to cause upset stomaches in a lot of people anyway. I hope maybe this helps out a little bit! :)

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”