Celiac Disease, Anemia & Anxiety

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
princesscat74

Post by princesscat74 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:20 am

Is there anyone here who suffers with Celiac Disease? I am pretty sure I have Celiac Disease and I have an appointment with a tummy doctor tomorrow. I have all the classic symptoms of IBS/Celiac Disease and I am anemic. Also, I have been suffering with anxiety for several years. I have a highly stressful job (I help run a business) and between that and myself, my husband and my father having health problems, last week I started having anxiety attacks for the first time in about a year. I think the stress just finally came to a head last week. I currently take high blood pressure medicine, an iron pill and 20mg of Celexa at night.

I purchased the "Attacking Anxiety & Depression" back in 2007 and I went through part of the program but not all of it. I am going to get back on this program starting today.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to all replies.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 am

I have Celiac Disease and was diagnosed with it about 3 years ago...I believe the anxiety has been with me most of my life, but the Celiac disease did not help with the anxiety. My symptoms were major stomach cramping followed by diahrrea and bloated feeling after eating wheat products. You can PM me if you have any specifac questions...gamer

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles! It can be tricky to start eating without wheat, but there are some great recipes out there - alot of mexican food doesn't have wheat (and you can cut out the corn tortillas completely) and the food is whole. Ex: chicken, onions, avocado, tomato, cilantro. yum!

Whole food is likely good :)

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Also guys, I had constant gas, (mortifying) and I did DR.Natura's cleanse. It was amazing. I'm more regular and dont' get the toots! Probiotics have replaced the good bacteria that was previously overrun by yeast, so that's good too.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:36 am

Originally posted by princesscat74:
Is there anyone here who suffers with Celiac Disease? I am pretty sure I have Celiac Disease and I have an appointment with a tummy doctor tomorrow. I have all the classic symptoms of IBS/Celiac Disease and I am anemic. Also, I have been suffering with anxiety for several years. I have a highly stressful job (I help run a business) and between that and myself, my husband and my father having health problems, last week I started having anxiety attacks for the first time in about a year. I think the stress just finally came to a head last week. I currently take high blood pressure medicine, an iron pill and 20mg of Celexa at night.

I purchased the "Attacking Anxiety & Depression" back in 2007 and I went through part of the program but not all of it. I am going to get back on this program starting today.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to all replies.
Celiac disease is an immune response to the protein gluten in wheat,barley, rye and oats. the anti endo-mysial antibody test can help show that immune response. the test is positive for a response but negative if you haven't eaten anything with gluten in it.

IBS is often associated with celiac disease. I would not take Celexa; that is an SSRI the generic is Citalopram and it tends to cause drowsiness and can make symptoms worse. For diarrhoea in IBS try half a sachet of Questran at night. Don't take drugs and hour before or 4 hours afterwards. Questran binds with bile and will bind with drugs too. It slows intestinal motility and stabilises the digestive system.

Fibre irritates the bowel in IBS. So now bran or that garbage many "health professionals recommend. You need soluble fibre like vegetables and fruit. Things without undigestable skins are best. Green beans are good, white cabbage, canned peaches. If it's easy to chew it's easy to digest as a general rule.

The endocrine system is the system of glands that produce hormones like cortisol; a stress hormone but serotonin is also a hormone and neuro transmitter. So stress and depression can make IBS worse.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”