Stomach issues...or worse???

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
JonesyAZ

Stomach issues...or worse???

Post by JonesyAZ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:41 pm

I would really like some help from you guys n' gals on this heaven's send of a website :)

About two weeks ago, I began to notice that I get a mild discomfort/pain in the very center of my upper abdomen. I do usually hear a bunch of gas moving around, and sometimes I do pass it, or burp.

I have also found that times that I have held my bladder whether it be at work (after drinking lots of liquids during the day), or during the night, the pain is there too, and seems to go away after i've peed as well.

Being that I deal with anxiety like you all do, and since it has been an off and on issue, I am afraid that it might be something serious, like an ulcer, or maybe an aneurism or something.

I did have some trouble passing stools last week, but since about Wednesday, i've been going at least once a day.

Can you guys give me some advice and/or reassurance that i'm probably making it worse in my head than it is?

worryguy

Re: Stomach issues...or worse???

Post by worryguy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:02 am

Hey...... Ive been where you are. I've learned, via a ton of anxiety and nervousness, that IBS takes on a lot of different pains and cramps. Two years ago I had an awful time with pains in my upper center abdomen, sometimes up under my rig cage on either side, sometimes in my lower ab. I drove my Dr. crazy because my anxiety had me conjuring up all sorts of things. The pain in my upper center abdomen actually felt like it was bloated!. I had a colonoscopy, feeling sure I had something awful going on. Other than a few benign polups, there was nothing. I had the scope down the throat because I was also SURE there was something terribly wrong in my stomach. Other that a small hiatial (sp?) hernia, which is common in guys my age, there was nothing else wrong. My anxiety had taken me well over the edge. Its so funny I saw your post tonight. I'm having a little anxiety problem again, which brought me to this website. I do a lot of running and swimming. Ive been doing a mile open water swim 3 to 4 times a week. I'm thinking I've pulled a muscle from my right ribcage down my side and my anxiousness has my head thinking its something awful again. The more anxious I get, then the IBS starts and its a crazy little cycle. I know where your head is at. Here's my advice to you for people like us. Go to your Dr. and tell him you want to get a real good checking over. The best way to relieve your anxiety is to have them tell you its nothing. Our minds are so powerful and convincing aren't they? I would be 99.9% sure you are fine....but if you're like me, that's not enough. Go have the Dr. tell you, then you will relax and it will go away. My name is Jon and I hope Ive helped you a little. I'm very willing to offer any help I can. People with this anxiety thing need to talk with each other more....it helps. If you want... my email....and I dont know if this is cool or not but its skiingjon@hotmail.com. If I can help, I will. I wish there was someone to help keep me grounded when I was in this situation. Take care.... JON

barefoot

Post by barefoot » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:34 pm

This is my first post as I have only been 2 weeks into the program. It is sooo amazing that sooo many people have the same issues as I do. I knew when I saw the program on tv, it was like a carbon copy of me but had no idea to what extent. My main issue of course is anxiety, panic attacks. I have been in/out of ER rooms for 3 years and countless number of times to the doctor - only to go home with another prescription. Now, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy the 22nd because of stomach issues, pains, bloating, etc. This anxiety has affected every part of my body from head to toe and my question is has anyone had numerous health issues and with the program, have overcome those issues? Thank you for this opportunity to "vent".....

JonesyAZ

Post by JonesyAZ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Worryguy,

Thank you SO much for the assistance! I do feel MUCH better since my initial post (changing eating habits, and focusing less on the issue). I'm finding that drinking coffee in large quantities has contributed a LOT to my stomach issues...as well as eating broccoli.

Barefoot,

My anxiety over the years has caused all kinds of crazy sensations; the worst was when I was having burning sensations throughout my body (like sunburn feelings), and heart palpitations. But I had my heart checked out all across the board, and everything came back normal and healthy :)

This forum is a fantastic place for support!!!!

ahandschke

Post by ahandschke » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 pm

WOW! This makes me feel so good. I have the exact story. I have a colonoscopy scheduled...maybe I should cancel it:) One thing my doctor did tell me is when under stress it has been strongly proven that you produce more acid which causes bloating and gas and that stress cause consipation too. I feel so much better- this has to be anxiety!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”