do you feel that anxiety/depression can cause IBS?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
scarlet

Post by scarlet » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:18 am

I'm not so sure, I have symptoms all the time, day after day-even when I have not felt anxious or depressed.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:17 am

scarlet.
I'm sure anxiety and depression are not the only causes. I also suffer from IBS, but when I am able to manage my stress and anxiety, my IBS is at least manageable. Today, it controls my life and what I do. I started the program about 2 weeks ago and I'm already to the point where I can go for a walk, or a short car ride without the anxiety of "what if" making me turn around and go back home. Good luck!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:51 am

Yes anxiety does cause IBS. I have this condition.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:07 am

OK-lets get detailed. IBS is diarrea and constipation, right? I NEVER am constipated.
Diarrea rules my life.

Anyone else like that?

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:01 pm

IBS...stomach cramps to the point that I hate to eat because I know what's going to happen!!! And the more the cramps, the more I'm convinced I have something else. I have a great Dr. who checks on me every 90 days.... he palpates my stomach and checks me all out....but then the "what if"s" start....... and I get all wound up and anxious...its like an out of control train. Sometimes I feel like my anxiety causes my stomach muscles to bunch up. anyone else feeling like this??

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:10 am

Absolutely. I have IBS. I'm not a doctor, but for me it's dirrhea. This is due primarilly to a treatment I'm on. In the past 6-8 months, I've discovered I have anxiety as well, which causes my bowels to cramp up even more. This cycle has become progressively worse, to the point where now even driving 1 or 2 miles, can cause me significant issues.

Now for the good news, since I started the the program program a month ago, I've taken a 600 mile trip (which I have to admit wasn't a ball of fun - but HEY I DID IT!!!), and now am gaining more and more confidence that I can control my body, and the anxiety is slowly -- lessening in intensity. No anxiety "attacks" in three weeks. I'm just finishing session five.

No fun, but for me, this is helping out a lot.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:02 pm

I went back to work today after being off for several weeks, I'm a teacher. Idle time isn't for me...it gives me too much time to conjure up crazy stressful thoughts and ideas and my brain just keeps creating those "what if's" faster than I can deal with them. today I was occupied and busy for the day, and I even went after school and did a mile open water swim with a friend of mine. For 85% of the day, my stomach was not an issue. Now its evening and I feel it acting up a little. I have a real tough time not worrying that my pains arent something else. Maybe I need to go and listen to the relaxation CD. We;ll see how tomorrow goes. I can hear my stomach gurgling as I send this.....

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Being an Rn and suffering many an affliction in my years I tend to worry as all of you do. But moreso because of the knowledge that was engrained into me from school. I tend to THINK alot.....I immediately shut it off....My stomach does act up at times and my esophagus gets acidity. But I watch, I chalk it up to getting older. I am 54. Your MIND IS THE CULPRIT.....YOUR MIND CAN MAKE YOU SICK is so true.....sick physically as well as mentally. Think to yourself....Why would I want to torture myself, I dont deserve it, I am a great person, FORCE YOURSELF TO THINK GOOD THOUGHTS, everytime a negative body sensation or negative thought pops into your head....FORCE IT OUT with another good thought. ITS HARD BUT IT WORKS

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 am

worryguy - I'm really glad you are back to work. I'm sure that will help. Best of luck to you.

creamcheesepuff - Good advice. That's where I'm at at this point. My challenge right now is stopping long enough to be congnizant of the negative thoughts before they spiral, and then learning how to put the positive thoughts into place in front of the negative. Does that make sense?

I'm learning how negative I have been, and now trying to retrain - through practice - to replace the negative with positive.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:03 pm

MI Dave, Yesterday was a good day but today is crazy. Didnt sleep last night at all. today the stomach is crazy. Gurgling, gas and on the john more than enough. So to add more anxiety to the problem I get on this damn computer and look up symptoms....stomach cramps, and all the rest...and of course I see all the possible things it could be...now I'm feeling really wired. I even tried to call one of the counselors for this program but I guess they arent on call all day for people like me... I have to just try to settle down and convince myself I do not have a fatal disease.....????

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”