anyone take natural supplements for IBS?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
sharonchgo

Post by sharonchgo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:51 am

Originally posted by Holly J:
can anyone tell me what has worked for their IBS. i know i need to take something everyday but i want it to be natural and i dont know what i can take for it. please share

sharonchgo

Post by sharonchgo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:36 pm

2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal a day. Just sprinkle it on your cereal, salad what ever. I found it at the regular grocery store.

Canuck13

Post by Canuck13 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 pm

I fought with IBS for years. Currently take digestive enzymes and probiotics with every meal. Also flaxseed oil in capsule form. You may want to increase your fiber intake but be careful because some sources of fiber (natural and supplemental) increase intestinal gas which exacerbates your IBS. Monitor your dairy intake; lactose may be an irritant. Drink tons of water.

araucaria

Post by araucaria » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:02 am

Hi!

I have had IBS for years, and I would recommend seeing a naturopath to get the right natural supplements for you. There are lots of things that work in general, but it helps to find something tailored to your needs. For me, I have some chinese herbs, gentian & skullcap and regular acupuncture- all of the above are designed to help with anxiety and IBS at the same time. For acute pain, Slippery Elm powder and Marshmallow (the plant, not the snack!) also help :)

sunset34

Post by sunset34 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 pm

I have ulcerative colitis and have had it for over 10 years now. I have been in complete remission for over 5 years and off all other medications for this condition. I have been taking Primal Defense and swear by it! I won't take anything else - it has kept me well.
My doctor said....."whatever you are taking...keep it up! " ;)
[b][i]" You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

[/i][/b]

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi HollyJ and all,

Shifrah, also suffers or suffered from IBS, and swears by RAW. She has a post on this site that is loaded with links to many sites dedicated to this diet regimen, along with testimonials.

http://bbs.stresscenter.com/ev...881036246#2881036246

I too have problems that would be associated with IBS, but I don't think or obsess much about it. I just blow it off (pardon the pun) and say to myself; oh well, S -- t happens. (oh I am being bad this morning)

Now come on folks, what is life if we can't laugh at the ironies?

Opps, I have to run or....my little Bunifa kitty will have a meldown panic attack. She's hungry.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 am

I had IBS for 25 yrs. The things that have helped me the most are probiotics, food enzymes, and fiber. Fiber you need to start slowly, Psyllum Husks capsules are good or I use Benefiber. However, what turned my life around was taking Lucinda's Program and reading the book, What To Say When You Talk To Yourself by Dr. Shad Helmstetter. Taking care of your body is one step but the other important step is to look at your thinking. Having IBS can be very depressing and cause anxiety. Lucinda and Dr. Helmstetter helped me learn to empower myself and enjoy the present.
Susan

smilindeb

Post by smilindeb » Sat May 16, 2009 7:21 am

I use pepperment capsules (www.helpforibs.com)and find even Altoid pepperments help sometimes when it's just starting. But for constipation and cramping, I use Equalactin which you can find in some drugstores and online. On the webpage there are many recipes,teas etc. Celestia Tea has a "Tummy Mint Tea" that I use every night to help with some of the pain and anxiety.

Rosetta

Post by Rosetta » Mon May 18, 2009 12:55 pm

Acidopholus!!!!! Has done wonders for me!!!

I use to suffer IBS so badly. Stated taking acidophous and have lovely BM :)
It may take a while for your body to get on track...for me its a miracle pill :)

I take 1 Natures Bounty 10mg about 4 times a week..I did begin by taking it everyday.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”