My doctor thinks it's post-viral IBS

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Sheils75

Post by Sheils75 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:09 am

hi everyone. I'm hoping (praying) you guys can help me. I have been feeling pretty awful for the past month. Day one started with diarrhea and ever since I am bloated and gassy with stomach and back pain. I feel better when i go to the bathroom, but that is definitely all out of whack...I feel generally constipated, but when I do go, it is usually loose and watery. I would feel better for a day and then it would come back. I think it is getting worse...as of this past Friday, I find myself getting severe back pain and stomach pain (along with gas and crazy gurgling noises and sensations) a few hours after I eat. I am trying to get more of a normal eating pattern back, I have barely eaten for the past month b/c it makes me so uncomfortable. I have been sticking with bland type foods...nothing fried or spicy. Anyway, I went to see a gastro on Monday. I explained everything and he thinks it sounds like a "post viral IBS". He started me on Benefiber (1 tablespoon mixed in water at night) and Prilosec twice daily. I am going back tomorrow for an endoscopy to rule out any other issues. He also took blood on Monday to check for celiac disease. Obviously, I have a lot of questions. Since this is post viral, does this mean that this will clear up or does it mean that the virus induced IBS and now I have it forever? Also, can anyone offer me suggestions on how to deal with the pain? I have been drinking a mug of warm apple juice in the morning to help "move things along", and that does seem to help. It's just that when I start eating, all bets are off. Last night, my boyfriend and I tried to do a little Xmas shopping, we were only out for a few hours at most, but by the time we were done I was in a ton of pain. My back and stomach were killing me. It felt a little better to go home and lie down, but I did have to take a Levsin for the pain (which I am trying not to do since my issue seems to be with constipation). I'm trying to stay as calm as possible (not so easy when you feel so crappy for a whole month?) and do my relaxation tape. I was on Celexa for years for my anxiety and have been off now for almost 3 months. I really don't want to go back on, but if it comes down to Celexa or feeling like this...that is a no brainer for me. Anything you guys can tell me would be helpful...thanks so much!

Bill67

Post by Bill67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Sheils75
I hope you start to feel better soon.
Let me know what are the results of your blood tests and endoscopy.

jenmelberg

Post by jenmelberg » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:13 am

Sheils75

I have the same thing you do!!!! Exact!!!!
Finally i find someone that has pain in there back and stomach. I have polycistic ovaries and IBS and the pain comes and goes. Sometimes I worry I have something terribly wrong. The past few days I have been constipated and then D all day. Last night I was X-Mas shopping and had to go to the car while my husband paid because I could not stand any longer from the pain in my back and stomach. When I laid down it started to go away. I hate this and I really feel for you!!!! If you are not on a probiotic you need to get on one. This will help you out tremendousley!!
If your like me once this hits you starts to worrying and create more stress and feel like it will never go away. Take care and let me know how things go!

God Bless!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”