Anxiety or stomach problems...which comes first?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Karen Ann D

Post by Karen Ann D » Wed May 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Originally posted by Laura V:
I'll try to buy some tomorrow. I hope I am feeling up to running some errands. Do you think the Konsil will help with the stomach aches? Eating has been such a challenge for me lately. My stomach growls but when I try to actually eat I feel nauseous so I've been trying to eat while doing something to distract myself. That's what one of my doctor's told me to do.

Karen Ann D

Post by Karen Ann D » Wed May 09, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi Laura, I'm Karen, My stomach aches started 1 year ago Feb. right after I had kneed surgery, my husband lost his job and my son was considering going to WEst Point. After years of beating myself up thinking I wasn't good enough for my husband and in 2000 I took over my brothers estate which was huge after being mismanaged for 7 years. I woke up one morning and I had no feeling down my right arm. My stress just kept building up and then after my surgery my stress grabbed my stomach and I nothing tasted good nor smelled good either. i lost 27 lbs in 4 months. I had every test you can take and everything came back good. Finally a dr. told me my problem was from my neck up meaning stress was causing all my problems and recommended counciling. Well after 10 month of therapy and this program since April I've discovered that it's stress causing my stomach aches. The Konsil might help keep you regular but I'm pretty sure it won't take away the stomach aches, that stress. Keep with the program. I've gotten better and have periods of no stomaches so I'm making progress. Try and exercise no matter how hard and make the time, walking makes me feel better. Good luck

Laura V

Post by Laura V » Thu May 10, 2007 1:54 am

Morning Karen,
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with my anxiety and IBS. I just really feel like there has got to be a way I can get the prescription for the Lexapro that everyone keeps talking about that has really helped them. I'm in the military right now and the doctor can't prescribe me the meds because it's too EXPENSIVE! How does that make me feel? Like I've dedicated 20 years of my life and I'm not worth the effort to be taken care of because the medicine costs money yet the government will spend outrageous amounts of money on stupid things.
It seems my stomach is really bad in the morning and unfortunatly I have some errands that need to be taken care of in the morning so I'm trying hard to gather my strength to put on my stupid uniform and head to my base to run these errands to complete my process for retirement. See, this is why I'm retiring; my anxiety and IBS have gotten so out of control that it's really affecting my work and I'm basically useless to the military because they can't send me to Iraq. So, it was either retire at my 20 year mark gracefully or they were going to kick me out under medical conditions and I don't feel like that's fair.
My husband's still in the military and left for the desert this week so I'm a mess from him leaving and my period started the day he left. Talk about double whammy!
I'm hoping that once I am retired and don't have to deal with the base anymore, that most of my anxiety and IBS will go away.
I just wish I could get a decent nights sleep! It's been over a month now that I keep waking up between 4:30-5am. So exhausted!
Hope you are well. Take care!
Laura

maria k

Post by maria k » Thu May 10, 2007 5:36 am

Hi Laura, Thanks for replying. And thanks for the advice for the nausea. Im going to try the papaya pills (Ill try anything at this point). I am sorry to hear youre going through this. I still cant believe stress can do this to our stomachs, but it must be true. Every other test came back normal for me and so many others.

I definitely recommend exercise also - it does help relieve some of the stress thats causing these problems for us. Also- I use ginger candies, antacids sometimes help me belch and makes me feel better (sorry if thats TMI.lol) and chammomile teas help too. Maybe if you can ease your stomach, youll be able to eat more and feel healthier all around. Just dont give up like you said. I know its a vicious cycle, but the less we worry about it- the better we are.

Sorry if your husband is leaving- this is hard enough to go through- and doing it alone is even worse. You can PM me anytime you need to talk. Take care, Maria

deedee00

Post by deedee00 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:28 am

I hear a lot of people talking about Ibs but i have a problem with constipation. Does ayone have this problem with their anxiety?

stessedoutmommy

Post by stessedoutmommy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 am

i'm new to the community and i am very scarred to start communication i have never done this
before i don't know how to start or who is out there to listen
Renee"

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:14 am

Originally posted by deedee00:
I hear a lot of people talking about Ibs but i have a problem with constipation. Does ayone have this problem with their anxiety?
IBS can be predominately constipation, predominately diarrhea, or alternating back and forth between the 2.

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:15 am

Originally posted by stessedoutmommy:
i'm new to the community and i am very scarred to start communication i have never done this
before i don't know how to start or who is out there to listen
Are you referring to problems with your stomach or anxiety/depression?

Deb 45

Post by Deb 45 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:14 pm

I have the stabbing pains in my left side, right under my ribcage. Sometimes it hurts to take a deep breath. Started taking carafate and prilosec and a lot of tums. I guess I'm more afraid that it will migrate to tightness in my chest, which it started out as. I was told I have GERD and chest tightness goes along with that.

Now I'm analyzing my body symptoms to the hilt. My poo has now turned a chalky almost white color, which I am attributing to the meds. But still a rather alarming development. Now I've become a poop analyzer.

Once again, the problem issss...that no one has convinced me once and for all that there is not a medical condition here. No one looked.

But I don't want to get endoscopy. I could go for an xray or an ultrasound sounds good. It might be reassuring, but boy am I tired of doctors.

I just ate, and no symptoms. There have been a lot of stressful events in my life, and everytime one comes up, these symptoms come back...like if I'm worried about going to work, or I get a medical bill. Tonight got turned down for disability insurance, and have an annual physical tomorrow which I don't want to go to. Got a flat tire today, and haggled over new tires. Have to pee in a cup to get a better medical insurance plan...blah blah. Someday it will all be a distant memory. Thank God.

Patrick2112

Post by Patrick2112 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:51 am

I was diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome two years ago ( high bilirubin in blood) and have suffered from IBS attacks since 19 years old. Of course I have anxiety too so it is hard to tell which causes which. On the subject of Gilbert's one of the symptoms of it is IBS,G.E.R.D.,anxiety attacks,nausea,shortness of breath and low energy.Luckily I don't have the jaundiced look in my eyes or severe symptoms but non the less I have it enough to disrupt my life. I always have to know where a bathroom is.traffic,flying,working,large crowds ect ect I know I won't ever feel affected in these situations.I have learned to manage it by stopping drinking-smoking and eating right but it still a problem sometimes.
Obstacles in the pathway of the weak become stepping stones in the pathway of the strong.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”