I take pepto or immodium for piece of mind...is it harmful?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
kananiwoz

Post by kananiwoz » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Does anyone out there know if it's harmful to take when you don't have diarrhea? I just got back from a trip to Florida and on the plane, I was in a full blown panic!!!! I don't know if I have IBS. I thought I was lactose intolerant. Anyhow, I actually got up from my seat during take off (3 times) I was so scared I would "crap" my pants and embarrass myself. I don't even know where the true stomach issues end and the anxiety takes over. I was crying and my husband said "you're doing it to yourself."

On the return flight, I ate 4 pepto tablets, ate and drank nothing all day. I had a spare change of clothes in my bag. I sat on my pillow and although I still was anxious, I didn't go into a panic attack. Do I have to do this everytime I fly? I also can not drive with anyone.

Went through the program successfully in 2005. Any suggestions? Will be flying again over 4th of July. Thanks.
God Bless America
K

kananiwoz

Post by kananiwoz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:01 am

Thanks Emma! Hope you're day is going well.
God Bless America
K

bambino

Post by bambino » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 am

Yah, I also take the chewtabs of Immodium occasionally if I know something is going to be difficult. Medically I don't think it will hurt you even if you don't have diarrhea, since it is just binding you up for a short period of time. I usually just have 1 and it works for 8-10 hours. Of course this isn't a solution as you know, which is why I need to go through this program so desperately. The only negative I have noticed is that is sort of throws your digestive system off, since you get a little bound up. Then it takes a day or two to get back to normal, or for me I'll have to take a stool softener or mild laxative or something. One thing that does help me though when I fly is to eat really healthy and small portions of food plus lots of water for at least a few days before the trip. That way my digestive system is healthy and I'm well hydrated for the day of the flight. That starting in the morning of the departure day, I stay well-hydrated, eat something very healthy and again a pretty small portion....like granola or something along those lines. I also take my own food that I'm comfortable with instead of eating the processed food in the terminals and on the plane. As we both know of course managing the anxiety and panic is the best answer, but these other things have helped me in the past.

kananiwoz

Post by kananiwoz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:42 am

Bambino,

Thank you. I went through the program well actually only to lesson 5-6 because I was so much better I felt I didn't need it. My anxiety and panic attacks started when my hubby went to Iraq the first time. I was left with a 4 yrs old and 6 month old. My realy problems began when my 4 yr old was acting up and almost like you see on SuperNanny was throwing full blown tantrums. I felt like the world was looking at me. I was so self conscious over the whole thing. Later realized she was feeding off my anxiety and stress! This program is amazing. I have started over with lesson 2 Panic Attacks.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have to do what I have to do until I can calm myself down.
God Bless America
K

kananiwoz

Post by kananiwoz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:47 am

Emma,
Having some generalized anxiety. Going to make an appointment for mental health today. I only went to see a psycologist 3-4 sessions in 2005 but I need one again. I had no idea that I was as anxious as I was in my daily life but now that I'm home from my trip... I guess I live at a high level of anxiety which has become my norm. Which is why I was suseptable to the panic attack in had on the plane. Which continue throughout my whole trip.
Glad you're day is going well! Where are you in the program?
God Bless America
K

kananiwoz

Post by kananiwoz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:44 am

What is emetaphobia?

I went through the program in 2005 and got to lesson 5 and what "cured" in my opinion. Just this week, I went to Florida and got on the plane, no problem. We had 10 minutes to get to our connecting flight and had to run! I usually have time to relax and go to the bathroom if I have to. I was feeling a little sick to my stomach. I ended up having a panic attack like I've never had. (I didn't watch what I ate on the first flight). I was crying and jumped out of my seat 3 times during take off.
I did survive though. I was exhausted and now depressed and scared thinking "how did this happen?" So, I got home Saturday and started with lesson 2 Sunday. I think some things that might have made added to my panic attack is, we left out children with my sister at our home. She has a new baby and I wanted it to be as easy as possible so I cooked 4 meals, made an itinerary, laid out all the kids clothes and made lunches. We were gone for 5 days.
Stress inducing? :)
God Bless America
K

kananiwoz

Post by kananiwoz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:54 pm

I must have the fear of it coming out the other end. I'm sorry you have that. It must be very difficult. I'm glad you're getting help for it! I like your "progress not perfection" quote.
God Bless America
K

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”