Anyone Have Symptoms due to Food Intolerance?

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
No Gluten/Wheat Girl

Post by No Gluten/Wheat Girl » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:40 am

I've suffered from ulcerative colitis, ulcers since the 5th grade, now 35 years old. I found out 2 months ago I am intolerant to gluten/wheat. My symptoms were many, including stomach pains, later in life running to the bathroom practically just as soon as done eating, borderline anemia, marbeling of teeth, diarrhea in mid 20's, canker sores as a kid, extreme fatigue like operating under the flu, unrested sleep (like it felt like I had worked all night, more tired getting up than when I went to bed originally)

All that is going away now that I have gone gluten/wheat free. It was hard to say goodbye to the breads, breading and sauces I loved, but now I just look at them like a poison. Whats funny is that I was tested for Celiac Disease and the test came out negative but another doc suggested going on diet anyway. Within 3 days I started to feel better. Now when I accidently ingest gluten or wheat, I get a rash on my chest and of course "run" to the bathroom. Just wanted to post this because if it helps someone that would be great. I suffered my whole life pretty much and it's no way to live. My depression is lifting almost completely, although I do need to work on talking to myself more positively, old habits are hard to break. My house is cleaner, I'm more patient, fun, flirty, lost a lot of weight without effort and have become "regular" in the bowel movement department, a sign that everything is moving through my digestion as it should. My brother has this like I do, only things took a severe turn for him. Because of being so malnurished all those years, he developed hyperglycemia and now is sitting in prison for something he did while under psychosis.

What happens to your body is that the upper part of your colon where the food is first digested, there are these little villi, which are like fingers that absorb and distribute the food to the body and brain. When you have this kind of intolerance, the villi get smashed down or totally worn off so you are not getting nutrients. Fat and carbs end up getting stored and you pack on weight often yet your body is literally starving. When under severe stress, your body can't deal with the poison and the stress as well, so your body starts to react with sugars in your body acting wildly, starving your brain of the glucose it needs to function properly. Studies show that a lot of people in prison are actually starving and the acts they committed were under states of psychois, where their minds are not quite connected with full reality. I've studied this a lot and nutrition is everything....we really ARE what we EAT. Hope this helps someone! For years doctors were trying to treat my symptoms, yet not look at the cause. I'm finally being my own advocate in my health, instead of relying on doctors to care about me, because they won't and don't. I also found out that baby food doesn't have the enzymes needed for the baby to digest easily. Since I started using a powered enzyme in the packaged baby foods, my son has totally regular bowel movements without constipation or trapped gas like before. Unless I puree his food from fresh, then the natural enzymes are still alive in the food to digest it. It makes sense when I thought of it. Fresh is best..or at least frozen!

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:41 am

I do not eat it either, was tested for celiac disease and it was negative. Like you after not eating it, I do feel much better. I had some tradition cookies and a slice of apple pie over the weekend and I feel tired, sleepy, worn out. So back to not eating the bad stuff.

I order my bread from Sami's Bakery in Florida. <A HREF="http://www.samisbakery.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.samisbakery.com/</A> The millet and flax bread choices, bread loaves, pizza crusts and the like. Their garlic ships are YUMMY! These are THE best and are THE closest to regular bread. Pamela's has a selection of baked good as well. ACtually if you go to glutenfree.com, you will find many selections that may be friendly to your system. I have found the pices and pie crusts to be pretty gross, the pancake mixes are ok, but nothing like what real pancakes are. Instead of light and fluffy, they are thicker and crack apart, not spongy like real pancakes.

Like you said, the food is a poison, and if it makes one feel horrible it is not worth eating. It is hard and I do cheat here and there, not often.

Good luck with your diet.

deedee00

Post by deedee00 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:44 am

Forgot, you may want to read up on GMO (Genetically modified/engineered food) and why organic foods are a healthier choice for consumption. Especially with a baby. My gf is a teacher of nutrition and she does not buy anything that is not organic for her children, especially her 7 month old.

SeaRunner

Post by SeaRunner » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:35 am

e fingers that absorb and distribute the food to the body and brain. When you have this kind of intolerance, the villi get smashed down or totally worn off so you are not getting nutrients. Fat and carbs end up getting stored and you pack on weight often yet your body is literally starving. When under severe stress, your body can't deal with the poison and the stress as well, so your body starts to react with sugars in your body acting wildly, starving your brain of the glucose it needs to function properly. Studies show that a lot of people in prison are actually starving and the acts they committed were under states of psychois, where their minds are not quite connected with full reality. I've studied this a lot and nutrition is everything....we really ARE what we EAT. Hope this helps someone! For years doctors were trying to treat my symptoms, yet not look at the cause. I'm finally being my own advocate in my health, instead of relying on doctors to
This is very interesting. I am so glad you found out about that allergy. From what i've read about gluten allergies, it can essentially make people permentely sick as long as they consume it. As someone who knows chemicals pretty well, I find people don't realize that everything is a potentially harmful or helpful chemical. Food in general is helpful, but depending on the person it can be just as poisonus as anything. When people have depression, or anxiety, I dont think they should assume its because of what they eat, However I do think they should take a look at that first, because if there is something wrong, that is the easiest thing to change.
"Common things occur commonly. Uncommon things don't. Therefore, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." -- C.J. Peters

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:26 pm

I've lost two notes that I've started to you. I seem to be hitting the wrong combination of keys at times, somehow. If you get two incomplete notes from me, please let me know. I can't find them in "cyberspace."

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in December, 1986, when I was 24. Testing for celiac disease in summer, 2006, proved negative. I tried going gluten/wheat free then and didn't feel much of a difference, and certainly didn't like the flavorless food. It's hard enough to eat my bland UC diet, I don't want to give up more.

"Fatigue like the flu" kept me out of work for up to 3 days at a time for a total of about three weeks in 2007. Lately, the fatigue hasn't bothered me, but the diarrhea has me at the point where I told my boss today that I don't want to travel outside of the county for fear that I won't have access to a restroom when I need one. At 55, I'm not ready to start wearing Depends, but I sure am thinking about it.

I occasionally get rashes, too. Maybe that's another sign, huh?

Boy, would I like my apartment to be cleaner; that would be very nice. I keep looking at it and thinking, "Yes, I should clean," but I just can't motivate myself to do it. I'm hoping that the program will change that. I did do some cleaning this morning that I don't usually do. It's a small step, but a noticeable one for me.

I don't pack on weight. I can't gain any. A high school classmate asked me at a reunion, "Why don't you gain a pound?" I wish I could.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You've given me a lot to think about.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:31 am

I just wanted to add here that living gluten/wheat free gets a whole lot easier with time. I've been on it 3 months now and it's near effortless, now that my cupboards are cleaned out and only gluten free. For everything you love, there's a substitution for it. Like the other day, I was missing some good gravy to drizzle over my mashed potatoes and chicken...I used rice flour and it was just like the regular flour. I was really missing just thowing together a sandwhich but found if you go to the Mexican tortilla section of your food store, I go to Jewel...the ingredients are: corn, oil and lime...that's it! I buy 3 packs for a dollar and there's a dozen in each...so it's actually cheaper than bread, I use less mayo since I'm not trying to moisten all that bread...had a BLT the other day...to die for, better than bread. Turned my hubby onto them and it's rare he'll want bread, unless it's some sort of specialty bread. To feel like a human being is priceless....can you tell I'm still High about this diet change? One thing I learned is watch out for the food label "modified food starch" because that can have traces of gluten. I seem ok with modified corn starch. That food starch is in a lot of stuff, so a person might think they went gluten free and really weren't. I begged my Mom, who's now 72 to go gluten free. She argued with me, telling me she knew what to eat and what not to eat at this age...I asked her to just do this one little sacrifice for me for 3 days...well, she felt so good, full of energy that she kept on the diet for over a week...then ate bread and felt her energy plummet within an hour and a bit of foggy depression set it. She's convinced. My whole family we think is intolerant. It's like winning the lottery to good health...to know it wasn't all in my head or thinking secretly to myself that I must be lazy. I still have to motivate myself...like if I totally don't want to clean, I'll say to myself just clean for 5 minutes...5 minutes seems bearable...then it's like you get into it and a flow starts and before you know it, you keep adding on, doing more and more and just generally picking up more after yourself as you go throughout your day, therefore the work doesn't pile up around you so quickly. But hey, I'm not a perfecto...I have to quit smoking...a habit I picked up at 15, now 35....I think I am just about ready, those relaxation exercizes really work, I just need to remind myself to do them more often to get through the roughest part of quitting...With God's help...I can do anything! Have a great day and may wonderful blessings come your way...

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:45 am

Fellow Celiac as well, going gluten free takes time.....give it about six months to a year to make a big difference. You will not regret it...I had lost 15 pounds over a few months, but have now gained it all back.. It makes me feel less anxious when I can sustain my weight or even gain a little. Doctors have always told me if you are not loosing weight you should be healthy...

epa

Post by epa » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 am

Please visit <A HREF="http://www.glutenfree.com" TARGET=_blank>gluten free pantry</A>
I have shopped with this website for over ten years because my husband is Gluten Intolerant. Lots of awesome information, recipes and great products!
New bread on the market called Fiber Bread. This bread is much easier on the intestines.
ATTITUDE -- The mind is like a parachute...it doesn't work unless it's open!!

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:31 am

I have been having bad D for about 6 weeks. Have been checked for a lot of things. Am going to have a coloscopy in two weeks. I am losing weight and am a nervous wreck about it. My dr really thinks its ibs and nerves but I really am worried about what it could be. Do you get brown water D from celiac disease? I worked with a woman who suffered from this some time ago and wondered if that could be my problem. I have taken imodium a couple of times and it does help but doesn't last. My dr gave me a prescription for some type of anti-spasmodic but I really don't have bad cramping, just the watery D!! I am a nervous wreck over this.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:03 pm

I first found out about my food intolerances 25 years ago! A homeopath did a test on me and put me on a diet that made me anxiety-free and full of energy. It was an elimination diet to remove all foods that were most likely to cause reactions. I still have not completely figured out which foods I react to, but I know some of them and have a much better life if I stay away from them.

Some things I can eat once or twice a week, but not more. Some things I can not eat at all. The homeopathic doctor advised me to try to vary my diet so I didn't develop intolerances to other things as well, but it's a little bit of a challenge... Fortunately I can eat all kinds of seafood, which is my favorite food group!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”