How I cured my IBS.. Yes, lifelong sufferer cured without meds...

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Tss

Post by Tss » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:55 am

Hello everyone,I'm new here and starting up the program for the last time to finish it. I have started many times but never finished it. I'm tired of physical symptoms and so I am here to end the suffering. I already cured myself of one nasty anxiety, the worry about being near a bathroom. This is something I have been dealing with since I was a small child. I am now 36 years old and I have been completely free of IBS for nearly 2 years! Here is what I did...

This was all a diet modification, I just simply learned that I have a slightly picky stomach and colon and a lot of nervousness.. Well I'm working on the nervousness, but I still got rid of it completely while still being overly nervous and sticken with panic symptoms.

1) no more sodas or milk, nadda, nil, NONE at all. Just water of any kind and the occasional orange juice (high pulp). (this made me lose 30lbs getting rid of me heartburn and snoring)
2) ate an apple and orange at least once a day (usually two apples a day)
3) eat multiple times a day, no large meals or huge helpings of food. Just kinda eat after ya get up (something small), then a few hours later, and so forth. I think I eat like 5 to 7 times a day. Sometimes nothing more than an apple.

thats it, and let me tell you, I was as bad as you could get! I mean, a HUGE change in my total living, I no longer have to worry about a nearby bathroom, no more nasty bloating and gas, no more doctors and drugs! I mean, I worred about where I drove, I was always thinking of a nearby bathroom. I would literally change my driving route to bring me near a store that had a bathroom. It was awefull, but normal for me, I just kinda lived with it. It was only after I realized that I quit having trouble like that anymore that I realized it was gone forever. I can actually feel a normal "movement" comming on way before I actually have to go and it no longer hurts, I am having a full "normal" erm.. movement without the explosive gassy awefull usual occurance. This,for me,was new and painfull at first hehehe.. 34 years of liquid movements did not leave me very prepared.. ouch!

rica516

Post by rica516 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:46 am

Just milk or all dairy? Are you sensitive to wheat?

Tss

Post by Tss » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:54 am

I am pretty sure that I'm sensitive to everything. ~8) yea, I guess I am staying away from all dairy. I am not allergic though, and I did stop milk by itself a long time ago as I am lactose intolerant, but it did not change my IBS. I think the bigest change was made when I dropped all sodas and getting rid of my heartburn, lost the weight and started drinking water.

~~~madison~~~

Post by ~~~madison~~~ » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:49 pm

hi,how did u get rid of the heartburn...my dr said i have gallbladder problems,,,,but i get chest pains and im not sure if its heartburn
madison

Tss

Post by Tss » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:08 pm

Hello 8) .. Heartburn was terrible for me, I've had it for about 8 years. Pretty much since I had my hand surgery (I put on about 30lbs). I just could not lose the weight. So after using Nexium/protonix (both work very well for me) I got rid of the heartburn, but could not stop using the medicine. I eventually fell into the panic cycle and became afraid of getting caffene 8( . So I stopped drinking any sugary drinks, and ended up just drinking water. Well this alone let me drop 30lbs easily, so off the cola's, no caffene, dairy or chocolate/candy and losing the weight, all of a sudden did not have fluid movements. I thought there was something wrong with me hehe, I could not go to the bathroom 3 times a day, this to me was something wrong ~8D .. Too funny, turns out, a week later I was totally normal. This change and feeling ONE HECK OF A LOT better, I just swore them off for good and tried nt using the medicine, sure enough, no heartburn! Oh, btw, heatburn can feel like chest pain, it can also cause asthma symptoms and a voly of other things. I have some nice pictures of the burned tissue at the bottom of my throat, but it's all good now. There is the rare moment when I wanna eat Indian food, so I plan ahead and take a nexium for the exra insurance of not waking up in the middle of the night choking on bile and having my heart nearly stop after holding my breath for 5 mins in my sleep.. MAN were those awefull times 8( ..

Bren

Post by Bren » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:51 am

I, too, have IBS and this is the plan I follow to conquer it:

1. Changed from drinking cold water to HOT water. Hot water is tremendous for the digestion tract. Also increased water intake from 6 glasses to 8-10 glasses.

2. Eat 3 servings of fruit daily. This include blueberries in cereal for breakfast, fruit after lunch, fruit after dinner.

3. Speaking of cereal, I only eat high fiber/low sugar cereal -- Kashi Go Lean, Total Bran Flakes, Plain Cheerios, Spoon Size Shredded Wheat.

4. Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate).

5. Take a Citrucel Caplet every night before going to bed. This is total fiber and non-addictive, non-habit forming.

GOOD LUCK !! :)

NancyHeart40

Post by NancyHeart40 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:44 pm

There's some good info about IBS here:
<A HREF="http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/ir ... drome.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/ir ... me.html</A>
Part of the article says:
Avoid drinking ice-cold water with meals. Ice-cold water slows down your digestion and lowers the amount of stomach acid (HCl), which is greatly needed to digest your food.

Walter

Post by Walter » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:47 am

I read your information and I to have to watch what I eat. I found out the hard way that this is hereditary in my family and the Doctor told me that the cure (meds) would kill me so I started searching the internet and found lots of info out there but the old saying about an apple a day is true. I still have at least one attack per year but now that I found this anxiety program I am hoping once I learn to deal with my stress the rest will take care of itself. The colon Dr. told me that grapenuts nuggets was good since it high in fiber. I just need to get my stress under control and stop the constant eating to relieve my anxiety.

Sweetarts

Post by Sweetarts » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi I am bew here.. its so nice to find somene to talk to about this thing... just wondering how u guys know what food your allergic of? Coz now I am really scared to eat anything not knowing what the reaction it will give me :?

Louise 2006

Post by Louise 2006 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:21 am

I'm going to give these suggestions a try. I find I have problems if I drink too much hot tea later in the day. I also notice that I have IBS symptoms with cheese and meat cominations - mac and cheese with a burger is always a recipe for disaster with me. I'm also interested in whether any of this helps my heartburn.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”