How I cured my IBS.. Yes, lifelong sufferer cured without meds...

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
caligirlinohio

Post by caligirlinohio » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:01 pm

What a blessing this site is going to be. I have had the tapes for some time but just decided that I really need to go through them. I have IBS that I do take Levbid for but I really need to get control of my diet too. I look forward to speaking more with you all and I hope that I can be even a fraction of the help you all have already been to me.

Baba

Post by Baba » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:48 pm

Ok everybody, which came first...the chicken or the egg? In our case, the IBS or the stress/anxiety? Does the IBS cause panic/anxiety attacks? Does the constant worry of "Where is the nearest bathroom?" cause panic/anxiety attacks? Or does the disease of IBS cause feelings of worry, stress and anxiety along with nausea, constipation and diahrrea? Do we vomit because we are actually sick or because we're worried or nervous? I'm constantly going in circles with the doctors saying "Go right!" wait... "No, go left!"

caligirlinohio

Post by caligirlinohio » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:50 pm

Good question Baba... I've always internalized my stress and I've had stomach problems for a while so it's hard to say... my stomach is sensitive and stress only makes it worse. When I stress it makes me feel worse, when I feel worse it makes me stress... definitely a circle that I hope to break!

gettingpositive

Post by gettingpositive » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:09 am

Originally posted by NancyHeart40:
There's some good info about IBS here:
<A HREF="http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/ir ... drome.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/ir ... me.html</A>
Part of the article says:
Avoid drinking ice-cold water with meals. Ice-cold water slows down your digestion and lowers the amount of stomach acid (HCl), which is greatly needed to digest your food.
Ice cold water? I do that all of the time. Any time I drink water it is filled to the top with ice. I have lost quite a bit of weight killing the consumption of soda and by eating 3 meals a day (I was eating 1 and my body thought it was starving and stored what I ate). I have plateaued, I will try this now too though, and see if it helps.
Thanks!
BTW, I still have quite a bit of weight to drop, but I'm not over 300 lbs and don't wear a woman's 30/32 anymore!

joanlee

Post by joanlee » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:21 am

Originally posted by Baba:
Ok everybody, which came first...the chicken or the egg? In our case, the IBS or the stress/anxiety? Does the IBS cause panic/anxiety attacks? Does the constant worry of "Where is the nearest bathroom?" cause panic/anxiety attacks? Or does the disease of IBS cause feelings of worry, stress and anxiety along with nausea, constipation and diahrrea? Do we vomit because we are actually sick or because we're worried or nervous? I'm constantly going in circles with the doctors saying "Go right!" wait... "No, go left!"
This is the very thing I've been wondering for years. I had a very traumatic accident 5 years ago that provoked anxiety that I'm still trying to deal with, but I still don't know whether the anxiety causes the symptoms or vice-versa. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. I can actually make myself get diarrhea and gas just by thinking about the fact that there might not be a bathroom around. It's completely psycho and I am getting better, but it still baffles me.

heidela

Post by heidela » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:01 am

i believe its the anxiety that starts it. i've had this problem recently with increased anxiety. i can barely eat without feeling ill. i would suggest no dairy or greasy foods, or watching what foods seem to provoke it and keep a logue of what they are. fiber is good. chamomile tea? ginger? you may already know all this.

Llamamama

Post by Llamamama » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:44 pm

I have IBS with D and I think the anxiety caused it and then the IBS made my anxiety worse! I was so worried about these headaches I was getting, then the IBS started and then I thought I had colon cancer. It is a vicious circle.

I know I need to watch my diet and I am very poor at doing that. I'm going to start following the suggestions in the original post because that sounds exactly like me!
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline". 2 Timothy 1:7

SharonaVee

Post by SharonaVee » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:08 pm

I have serious IBS and still have not found out what causes it. Stress seems to set it off but also something I eat will do it too. Takes about 20 minutes after I finish eating. I do take Librax 3 times a day but it doesn't seem to help. I think I will take a look at some other options. Some of these suggestions maybe sound like the way to go. Thanks for the info...

Considerate

Post by Considerate » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:07 am

I also have IBS and have recently had some relief prior to starting the program. A doctor suggested taking FiberCon, he said it has something different that seems to help with IBS, it has helped me. I also lost 50 pounds which also helped with the problem and have given up all fast food, soda and junk food. Hang in there it can get better.

Heather1269

Post by Heather1269 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:30 am

I'm new to the group and must say, I am pleased to see this topic noted. Honestly, I dont know what I have. It is strange. I was born with a hernia..have always had problems with my stomach. Cant take the spicy stuff. But lately..my heartburn is worse and my bathroom trips are many. I recently had an ultrasound (Dr. thought it might me my gall bladder) and everything came back fine. I've been on Nexium (no dice) and everything over the counter. One doctor says acid reflux another says IBS. All I know, is I've gained 20lbs since my hysto 2 years ago and I feel bloated constantly. What is going on???? I quit smoking 3 months ago, cut out all caffine, and take small doses of suger once in a while. I'm on session 3 and feeling better mentally, but physically..uggh..I feel 80 and I'm only 37. I feel like I have single handedly kept Tums on the shelf. Any advice? :?
No day but today !!!!

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”