symptoms

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
ellkay

Post by ellkay » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:15 am

I never thought I have IBS but I am starting to wonder. I will get a jolt of anxiety (I will feel a weird sensation in my body - that will cause panic/anxiety) then I run to the bathroom. Is that IBS?

I don't always get it - sometimes I do. For example today I felt a heart palpatation then within a few minutes I had what I thought was a chest pain. THEN... I had to run to the bathroom. Of course I was thinking omg is this a heart attack but now I am thinking is it just anxiety. I have had ALL the tests, er visits, blood work (the works).

Does anyone else get like this????

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:07 am

Yes, Yes and yes. I would get the same thing. I did all the Dr. visit and they came up with IBS. Well I don't have a lot of confidence in Dr. So I tried other things, stoped sugar, coffee, fatty foods, then finialy I did some more research and tried a gluten free diet. Doing all this helped and is keeping 50 pounds off that I lost. But when I have bad anxiety attack off to the bathroom I go. When we are stressed it puts all parts of our bodies through heck. Try to cut back on the bad foods it really does help, and work the program. There is a light at the end of the tunal. I can even go places with out bathrooms around and I do ok. Before I would make sure I knew where all the bathrooms were. God Bless

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:37 am

ellkay,
I think it's the adrenaline. That also happens to me sometimes. Usually after I 'go' I feel better as well. My mother who also had anxiety said the same thing used to happen to her. It's a normal response to anxiety, don't worry.

Take care,
Ocean

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:05 am

Yep, been there, still there. :) The minute I allow my mind to start racing and I get fearful and my adrenaline starts to pump... my bowels will move and yes I usually have to run to the bathroom. If you try and calm yourself down, it does go away, but I don't mind it because obviously something needed to come out! lol! It's okay, you'll get better, as you work the steps and work the program. And, yes, like the person above said, cut the bad foods out, it's a must and it will get better.
All the Best!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:18 am

It makes me feel better that the pain was anxiety and I know that abecause of the whole running to the bathroom.

I hate worring about dying - its exhausting. I am so worried that my heart will stop and now I am getting new symptoms. For a while I would get the tingly feeling or the dizziness or the heart palps and now I get diarhea.... ahhhh what gives.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:04 am

i have alot of the chest pain and always thinking the worse i'm having a heart attack..my aniexty has been so bad i have been to the er so much it's getting to be a habit..
i too have had to run to the bathrromm in the mornings..i wake upp in a panic every morning seems like.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:42 am

I too have chest pains supposed to be GERD but sometimes I wonder. And was dianosed with IBS. Sometimes if I am very nervous what you are describing will happen other times I get constapated. And I have stomach pains sometimes and alot of gas. The symptoms of this can be terrible . Eating smaller maels and watching what I eat has helped some.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:01 am

Hi Everyone,

Isn't this just so much fun!!! NOT, I have had all these symptoms for such a long time now that it just seems so normal to me. I was diagnosed with FMS, CFS, IBS, In 1996 and when the pain from my Fibro got so intense and I suffered through 3 deaths in 3 months that brought on my stress/ anxiety and depression and here I am trying so hard to feel better just like everyone else.

It's so involved...every part of our conditions contribute to the other and can really make our lives feel out of control. Our thoughts and reactions trigger our hormonal releases causing more symptoms and in turn releasing more unneeded hormones and this viscious circle just elevates all bodily functions. It's a very tough circle to break as we have usually had this going on to some degree for much of our lives and retraining ourselves to stop thinking and obsessing over negative issues is soooooo difficult and takes a lot of effort and time but it can be done.

Diet as someone already brought up is a huge part of all the issues we have going on and I know this from my own experiences with foods. I have given up all my junk foods except for an occasional fast food chicken burger, fries and soft drink. Well I pay for that treat for at least 2 days in many ways. DUMB!!! I know but some days I just want something different from the normal everyday meals I've been eating. I gave up pop, frozen yogurt, ice cream, chocolate, candy, chips, dip, white bread, sugar, processed foods, and on and on it goes. If I stick to eating properly my IBS is much better as are all my other issues issues under normal conditions, not feeling stressed out.
This is probably the hardest to avoid given all the stressors in life and our own battles to fight each and every day but I truly believe we can and will beat all this and go on to living a life we love and cherish and never have to suffer this way again.

Sorry about my novel I wrote, it kind of just kept coming out.

Good Luck to everyone, be kind to your minds and bodies.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”