stomach spasms

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Deener

Post by Deener » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi everyone, I also experience the stomach spasm thing. It will make my stomach ache and of course then I get super anxious, which leads to nausea, which leads to more anxiety, which leads to more tightening and pain, plus the breathlessness. A lovely cycle huh? I added more fiber to my diet and kept track of some foods (greasy) that may have been making it worse and it has gotten better, but I think the main reason it happens is just because of anxiety. The reason I think this is because I noticed that if I have someone rub my back right behind where my stomach is, then this brings instant relief and no spasms. Good luck to everyone! Deanna

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:53 am

Tammy Jo,

I agree with Deemer that it may have a lot to do with anxiety. IBS is many times anxiety with food allergies or sensitivities. Now add hormonal changes after your hysterectomy and you have your whole system out of balance. They might have given you antibiotics during or after your surgery as well. I have IBS. I had the spasms. I found that going through Lucinda's Stress, Anxiety, Depression program greatly lessened my anxiety which in turn helped get rid of the spasms. You might want to be tested for gluten/wheat sensitivity as well as lactose intolerance to eliminate those. Unfortunately, there is no one answer but getting rid of the anxiety can make a huge difference. Good Luck.
Susan

rocko

Post by rocko » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 am

i have this same problem it feels like your heart stops for a moment or like its skipping a beat or two. right after that the panic comes.i also get the tighting around the mid section making it harder to breath.

Candle

Post by Candle » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:19 am

Wow! I can't believe this. I have had spasms in stomach for the past 18 months. (It feels like a pinching feeling in my upper right or side of abdomen.)I've described as discomfort or pinching to doctor. He shrugged it off. Pain got bad in middle of night a few weeks ago. I went to ER since I think I had panic attack about all these months of discomfort and then pretty bad pain for a few nights. The did ultrasound, bloodtests, scope and there was nothing wrong.
Also, am in menopause and have a lot of constipation. Now after reading all these posts, I really thing it is IBS from anxiety with the hormonal changes just making it all intensified. I've been on Lucinda's program for a week. I can already feel a difference. I've had no stomach spasms (was a regular occurence.) and have even had more regular bathroom visits.
Hope I am not getting too personal here, but all the posts above have really helped me , so I hope I can help someone else.
THX -- :)

ksow

Post by ksow » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:27 am

I have just recently experienced this myself. I have them in two areas the belly button and below the sternum. It is so annoying. Sometimes I feel of fainting from my heart skipping beats as well. I am glad I am not the only one. I was scared of dying.

Mrk7

Post by Mrk7 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:16 am

Here's where I get confused. I have stomach and entire back spasms after eating. My stomach bloats, and the stomach muscles stiffen and get very tight. My chest and throat also get tight, and sometimes it can feel difficult to breathe. Every day. With Evety meal. For 7 months. After several tests with nothing wrong my doctor thinks that it's stress and dyspesia. Ok fine. But these symptoms are with every meal. but I'm not under major stress with every meal.

For example: Let's pretend someone just got very bad news. Their obviously stressed and anxious for a period of time. This can cause digestive upsets. This to me is very normal.

But what's NOT normal to me is when you have these spasms and digestive upsets every day, all day, within seconds of eating -- even when nothing is on your mind. But mainly my throat only tightens when I eat heavy protein or tea. But the other symptoms are always there with other meal. Anyhow, every meal for 7 months is a LONG time to be having stomach spasms and disrupted eating.

My wife also thinks it's stress because of my job. Do you think that when stress has "built up" long term over the years it weaken the stomach so that it cannot break down foods anymore thus causing the spasms? I'm trying to figure out exactly what happens in your body that could create this and how long it would take to overcome this? Thanks.

cream cheese

Post by cream cheese » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Mrk 7 Its difficult to say .....a Gastrointestinal doctor would best be to speak with. I am a Registered Nurse but by law I cannot really suggest anything else. He should be able to sit down with you with ample time to discuss all your historys both emotional, physical and family. And let him know everything about what has and IS occurring in your life. If he is a great doctor he will abide you wholeheartedly and really get involved and follow up with other suggestions. if he doesnt then I would seek a second opinion. creamcheese

Mrk7

Post by Mrk7 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 am

Thanks for your response. I've been to 3 gastro doctors. Not one has thoroughly went through what your speaking of for the emotional. I got nothing but tests (ultrasound of abdomin, CT scan, upper endoscopy, small bowel x-ray) and nothing was found. 2 doctors say dyspesia. Ok fine. But when I research dyspesia I never seen one person ever say that they havent been able to eat meat, veg, or fruit for an entire 7 months. I can only eat junky carb foods like cereal, potatoes, noodles, etc with no real nutrition.

I'm wondering if anxiety or stress could "linger" for that long of period of time and effect you to the lenghth of 7 months.

I was given an anti-spasmadic which is worthless as it has the power to put even a horse asleep. Plus, it will never do anything to "fix" my whats wrong and causing the muscular tightness to begin with.

cream cheese

Post by cream cheese » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:36 pm

It may be the inside or outside muscles of the stomach.....did you ever have any hits in the stomach from sports or accidents? Surgeries when younger....anything you can think of....even when you were born, these questions should have been addressed by your doctor..

Mrk7

Post by Mrk7 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:36 am

This was never asked. Out of 3 doctors the most time ever spent with me was probably 10 minutes total. I cant recall any "devastating" blows to the stomach, although I have been hit there before.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”