stomach spasms

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Mrk,

Just wondering if you are on any diuretics?

I drink lots of water, but I have to take a diuretic to help me with b/p issues, and I have severe cramps in my stomach and ribs due to dehydration.

Coffee, some or most teas, and soft drinks are diuretics. If you are drinking these with meals, try stopping them and stick with water only, and see if that may help. Since you are seeing a doctor and may be on several medications you might want to check to see if the meds have dehydration as a side effect, or contra indicate with each other or supplements you may be taking. Here's a good sight to do a little investigating on your own:

http://www.livingnaturally.com...417FBE8D6702F135785A

Good luck and happy hunting.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Mrk7

Post by Mrk7 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:18 am

Hi Gman,

Thanks for the link. I know what you mean by tea's coffee's etc because it will make it far far worse if I try to drink those things. I get about 4 cups or so of water each day - so not sure if thats it. I'm on no meds other than little baby doses of kolonpin if the tightness gets too bad. I was prescribed an anti-spasmodic to help with the tightness. But my logic is my body is obviously trying to tell me something's wrong, so until I find out the underlying cause I'm not intresting in covering the symptom up. I'm starting a probiotic today to see if that'll help. Thanks.

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:42 am

Hi Mrk,

3 cups of water per day is not enough water. The average person needs 64 ounces that 8 cups of water per day. The heavier you are the more water you need. Did you check on the side effects of the medication you're taking to see if even small doses will have diuretic effects?

My other suggestions, gator ade, bannanas, raisins, peanuts, prunes, and other dried fruits are all high in potassium. Most people don't get enough potassium either. The rda is like 2500 MG. Bannanas and gatorade only have 20 mg per serving. Peanuts or peanut butter, 155 mg per ounce, raisins about 240 per ounce, prune juice 480 per 4 ounce serving or about 120 mg. per prune.

I would also do my own searches for those symptoms at web md or just google key words.

Take care!
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Mrk7,

You are on the right track. Our medical system addresses the symptoms, not the cause. Naturopathic doctors and some herbalists look at the whole person and start with the most severe system. I had IBS for 25 years. Until I learned how to deal with stress and anxiety and work with an herbalist, my intestines did not heal.

Taking probiotics is a great place to start. I had taken up to 7 a day to deal with my diarrhea. Food enzymes help break down food. Proteins and the fruits and vegetables (raw foods)don't break down if they don't have the right enzymes. Food enzymes are helpful to everyone because we eat so many processed foods which has many artificial things in them.

Taking omega 3s can be helpful too. Most of the omega 3s have been taken from our foods to have them have a longer shelf life and the omega 6's have been increased which causes blood clotting and inflammation, thus disease.

To take control of my health I use this formula:
ABC+D& E
Activate = deal with your emotional and mental well being.
Build = Eat nutritional food. Get rid of the soda/sugar
Cleanse = Drink 6 to 8 cups of water a day and 3 or more 4 oz. of fruit and veg. juice a week. Add fiber and avoid toxins. Be aware of mercury in our fish and vaccines) Mrk7- at this point you don't want to do this. Cleansing takes out nutrients too.
Direct Aids: herbs and nutrients: Be sure you are getting enough Vit. D3, B12 and all the B's and Omega 3s. Probiotics and food enzymes are great for getting the intestines functioning well.
Exercise: This brings oxygen into the system which helps the cells function at their best. This is a very important piece to natural healing. Deep breathing is very helpful. 3X 30 min. of aerobics each week and 3 times a week with strength exercises is necessary for everyone, no matter how old we are.

Keep looking for the cause. Lucinda's prog. is a great way to start dealing with your stress. Sometimes we aren't even aware of how we are dealing with our stress. There were times I felt calm and not worried about anything and yet, I would have problems with my stomach. If the program is too expensive, I would get the book, What To Say When You Talk To Your Self by Shad Helmstetter. It helps you understand how your brain works and how to get rid of the stress and negative thoughts. He sells self-talk cd's too which are super. I hope I didn't repeat myself from past post.
Mrk7, you are on the right track. Keep asking questions. You will find answers.
Susan

Kathie C.

Post by Kathie C. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:34 pm

I have spasms EVERY morning when I wake up, but they are in my colon, not up by heart. I have ulcerative colitis (over 30 years now); however it is in semi-remission most of the time. I just take OTC (bought online) anti-inflammatory pills every night. But my heart races the whole time, especially after I get up to use the bathroom. Then I have to lie down and breathe slowly until my heart slows down. I don't understand why my anxiety is so bad in the morning. Guess I'm reacting to dreams I don't remember that are bringing things too close to the consciousness. I wake up with the wierdest thoughts that don't make sense but scare the bejeebers out of me. Just started on Lucinda's program this week. Had hope, and then yesterday my husband and I got a bill from the IRS for $7,000! Talk about feeling helpless and hopeless. It's the story of my whole life, and I'm 63. Yet the CDs do seem to be helping. Was told by the kid who sold me the program on the phone to listen to #10 and 11 first, so I did. Now I'm starting with #1--have listened twice. The relaxation CD really helps, even though I've had some for years that I can use as well. The best positive talk I can do for myself is prayer and scripture repetition. Without God I could not do this...

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Kathie C.
Good for you. Stick to the program. It sounds like you are making progress. You will find ways to deal with the IRS. Believe in yourself. Read my post from earlier. Glad the meds work. The next step is to heal the colon. That requires changing diet- slowly. Change one thing at a time, till you are comfortable with it. It took years to get the colitis, it will take time to overcome it. I believe the 3rd CD, positive thinking is very important and the key to making changes. Keep at it.
Susan

Mrk7

Post by Mrk7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:56 am

Kathy my niece just cured her ulcerative colitis after having it for about a year. It was pure misery for her and was quite difficult to watch. She's only 17, and thank-god she did her homework and dug deep. She learned what Ulcerative Colitis "really" was and cured it that way. Here's the article that changed it all for her...

Mainstream medical professionals talk to their patients about ulcerative colitis like it's a big hopeless mystery.

They tell patients things like:

"We don't know what causes it, but diet makes no
difference."

"You'll probably need to take medication for the rest of your life."

"Surgery is your only option, and even that's not a guarantee."

"The best you can hope for is symptomatic relief with drugs."

I'll let you in on a secret.

Ulcerative colitis (UC) is NOT a hopeless mystery.

It's an autoimmune disease, meaning your immune system gets confused and acts defensively when it shouldn't. In this case, it sees harmless cells in your colon as dangerous invaders and launches an all-out attack against
them.

The result of this "attack" is chronic inflammation in the colon, sores that bleed and produce pus, lots of gas, bloating and explosive diarrhea.

(I can't give you the whole article as it's too long but here's the link to get more information) My neice did everything this lady said and has NOT had a SINGLE SYMPTOM of colitis in over 8 months. Her rectal bleeding and cramps stopped almost immediately to.)

Here's the link:

http://www.greattastenopain.co...0/01_03/01_01_10.asp

Mrk7

Post by Mrk7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 am

Yep your absolutely on point. Insight is better than medicine. So thank-you. I'll def look at the book too. Sometimes you just have to be stubborn and keep asking questions.

Mrk7

Post by Mrk7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:09 am

Susan, when you say dont do the cleansing part do you mean just drink the water but stay away from the fruit juices? I tried to eat oatmeal one day with extra fiber and it was very tough to handle. Thanks.

Susan Gilbert

Post by Susan Gilbert » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 am

Mrk7,

Cleansing is for clearing out the colon. However, since you are getting the spasms and the intestines are giving you problems, I would stick to the water. Adding fiber and doing any cleanse program will probably aggravate the intestines. Your goal is to nourish your system. When I started my healing process, I stopped eating things that bothered me. I read a book by Dr.Jordan Rubin. I first saw him on Fox TV. He almost died from crohn's disease. I got his book, "Restoring Your Digestive Health". His ideas are really dramatic but I took pieces from him. The info about how our body works was very helpful. He has a great recipe for nourishing chicken soup. I did lose weight but it gave my intestines time to heal. He has a website and sells supplements. He highly recommends probiotics for good intestinal health. I hope this answers your question.
Susan

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”