stomach spasms

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
bmswarts

Post by bmswarts » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Does anyone experience stomach spasms with their anxiety? I find these very distressing. Mine are located just below the sternum and at times they feel like they make my heart rate change. Thanks.

Sweetazcanbe

Post by Sweetazcanbe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:48 pm

Yes i experience the stomach .I thought i was the only one :roll: My heart seems to skip beats during this time also. Not sure why. Does anyone else experience this? This symptom is very distressing for me also its the symptom that has bothered me the most.

livin life

Post by livin life » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:38 am

I have had irritable bowel and mild ulcerative colitis and I also have the same stomach experience both of you are talking about. I have been scoped three times over the past 6 years and all they found were what they called tiny ulcers the bottom of my stomach. They tested them and came up negative for any known cause. They in thier infinite medical cluelessness opted for the first med school cop out. They prescribed me prevacid (an antacid) and sent me on my way. Well that was no help as it wasn't excessive stomach acid that caused them. To this day I have no idea hwy I had them but they seem to come and go as the second scope they were barely there and the third scope they were back. YOu are right though this condition is a major concern for me as my heart rate raises the muscles in that area seem to tighten up and I feel as though I can hardly breathe at times. It has gotten steadily worse over the past 3 years and has seemed to leveled off this last year. It seems to worsen when I eat of when I exert my self and its worse in the heat as well. I do know that since Ive eatten smaller meals and easier to digest foods and have quit smoking it seems to have lessened the severity. Well thats all I have on that subject but but the search continues. If anyone has anything to add to this please do.

Venus

Post by Venus » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:56 am

To all stomach suffers, I'm a nurse with 8 yrs of hospital experience, I have this disorder. I've sufferrd since I was 18, I'm now 37. I also have lactose intolerance, stopped drinking coffee, quit smoking, and avoid all greasy foods. I've included grape nuts (HIGH FIBER)with my yogurt in the morning. I take lactaid pills with my first bite of the yogurt. I have regular bowel movements everyday. I have started prilosec at night with a full glass of water. I also take a benadryl 25mg tablet. I found that it settles the spasms, and makes me get a great night of sleep. I don't feel as tired, and my stomach is calm, relaxed and I feel really good in the morning. I always take it with a full glass of water, and have to have more then 7 hours of rest. If I take it with only 6 hour before work the next day, I get up groggy and sleepy. Benedryl has to have 6 hours to wear off. You shouldn't take it if you are driving a vechicle, or have to be sharp the next morning. The digestive tract takes some time to digest pills, and sometimes take close to one hour to feel the effect. Give yourself the time to feel better.

I've taken bentayl for the spasm in the past with much relief and my doctor will not prescribe on a regular basis. I've found over the counter regime to work best for me. I also take a calcium carbonate (TUMS)1 tab and a chewable vit C 500mg to also help during the day. I also make sure I eat a small meal in the morning. I don't have gastric reflux and my spasms have subsided even with the panic attacks.
Good luck

Denise C

Post by Denise C » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:07 pm

I am so glad I saw this. i thought i was the only one feeling this way. the heart/stomach thing has made me think twice even about eating. i am loosing weight. but knowing this is a symptom and that i can do some things - like smaller meals, etc. to help it, i will do it. thanks. and i don't have an answer by the way. just glad that i am not goofy.

lepstein

Post by lepstein » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:26 am

Yes, this has been happening since my bout with a deep depression, which I'm in now. I too am losing weight and barely eat.

Lucinda's tapes came yesterday. I haven't listened to any yet -- and am holding out hope that this too will improve after going through the course.

All I can say at this point is I thoroughly worn out from this emotional mess and medication hasn't taken the symptoms away.

I'm feeling the same way and so tired of the whole thing.

catseye80

Post by catseye80 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:59 am

I'm new to this forum. I have completed the Attacking Anxiety program, but I am still working through panic episodes and physical issues, stomach spasms in particular. I have just begun to experience these (at least I think that's what they are). I feel a severe tightness wrapping around the lower part of my stomach and ribs. This has been sending me into panic/hyperventilation mode, because it really feels like my lungs can't expand to get a good breath. Does anyone else feel the same symptoms with stomach spasms/IBS? I first thought it might be gas passing through, but it stays for prolonged periods of time and it doesn't let up. Any comments are welcome!

GG

Post by GG » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:12 pm

To everyone with stomach spasms - I feel your pain!!! I have had the same symptoms & my family could tell you many tales about Mom needing a bathroom RIGHT NOW. It is better than it used to be, & I'm not sure why. Over the years I've used lactaid, prilosec, etc. Having my gallbladder removed did a number on me for a years, but now I tolerate food much better.

Llamamama

Post by Llamamama » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:56 pm

I am glad to have found this topic tonight. Not only do I suffer from anxiety, OCD, and IBS, but I have a bad neck and back which causes pain on my left side. I always, including this moment, feel like I am having a heart attack when this happens. That, of course, makes my anxiety worse. I don't stop and use logic that I ate almost a 1/2 gallon of lite ice cream (well, at least it was lite) and two pieces of lasagna and irritated the heck out of my colon!
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline". 2 Timothy 1:7

Tammy Jo

Post by Tammy Jo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:09 am

Hi. I underwent a complete hysterectomy in March of this year. Immediately following the hysterectomy, I suffered stomach pain and spasms that have steadily increased. I have been diagnosed with GERD and IBS. I have gone through an EGD, colonoscopy, motility and Ph testing and ultrasounds. Recently, my primary care physician had a thought that these stomach problems could be hormonal and I met with a compound pharmacist who created a hormone for me. I have only just started taking the medicine. I am wondering if any experiencing these problems had undergone a hysterecotmy or other stomach surgery immediately prior. Thanks.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”