What cured my IBS

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
LovePhob

Post by LovePhob » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:54 am

Hi -

Like most of you I never connected my IBS w/ Anxiety. The truth is that when you get tense, your stomach muscles do too and hang on to everything that in your stomach & intestines. It's having all that old "stuff" (sorry I know that sounds gross) in there that causes the gas and bloating.

I use Psyllium Husk (in the raw form). It's a pure source of fiber that keeps your system regular. I found it to work much better than Metimucil since it dosn't have fillers like sweetners etc. It keeps your insides so clean that there's not a chance for the gas and bloating to begin.

It's not medicine, just a basic fiber supplement and most dr.s will tell you that the standard american diet is deficient in fiber to begin with, so psyillium can help even if you don't have IBS.

I've been taking it for 7 years, and I no longer have IBS.

You can get it at Whole foods, any vitamin store, Trader Joes (Secrets of the Psyllium).

Good luck!

goddess sparkle

Post by goddess sparkle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:20 am

I actually have psyllium husk from Colon Cleanse and I used it once (stupid anxiety made me stop 'cause I was scared to use it!) Recently I went to my doc and he thinks I have IBS so I will try it again. I notice that when I'm nervous I get stomach problems. Maybe it'll calm my stomach. Thanks for the info.
"It's not over yet."

Hi from Pumba

Post by Hi from Pumba » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:46 pm

I am scared to death that I will have an accident in a public place. I have been dealing with the stomach problem for 2 years now. I am now on 5 different medications and I just know it is my nerves. I recently lost a loved one and I can not turn my mind off. I just started the program this evening. I pray this will help me.

Charlotte Mae On My Way

Post by Charlotte Mae On My Way » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:50 am

I am currently 24 years old. I had my first colonoscopy when I was 9! I have suffered from anxiety since I was 8. To be honest I am not sure what pinpointed my genesis of anxiety. I have suffered from "IBS" since then. I know it is all in "my head" I know it is and I have realzed that for years! I cannot leave my house without going to the bathroom. I know where every bathroom is in my home county!

Stressed Momma

Post by Stressed Momma » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:45 am

Wow I just figured out what was causing my stomach pain about 3 motnhs ago. I had a colonoscopy, EGD, CT's ultrasounds, and xrays and everything came bk normal. so they diagnosed it as IBS. But it gets extremely worse 2 weeks b4 my period. Could it still be related to my stress? I take Bentyl for it and its not helping anymore.

aworkinprogress

Post by aworkinprogress » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:27 am

Would psyllium husk be useful in just maintaining regularity?

I suffered for years with IBS induced by anxiety/panic. I have worked through most of that and while I still have occasional flairs during high stress moments, I don't suffer quite like I used to, thank goodness.

I have actually found that upping my water intake helped tremendously. I now drink between 4 - 6 8 oz. glasses of water a day and have very few issues with the gas/bloating, but am still looking for something supplement wise that will help me to stay more regular. I hate metamucil.

Ariyon

Post by Ariyon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:05 am

YES LovePhob! You are so right. Psyllium husk has really cured my IBS. I make certain to use the all natural form without any sort of sugar or fake sugar. The Doctor told me that the reason it works so well is that the contracting colon wants something to "bite down on" to offer it relief, and psyllium is best for that. (Sorry if that verbiage is too odd...) :)

And yes, aworkinprogress, the psyllium label says that it's designed to help with regularity.

Hope this helps.

hunnie33

Post by hunnie33 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Stressed Momma.....

<A HREF="http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen ... s/112.html" TARGET=_blank>http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen ... 12.html</A>

The link says symptoms of IBS are worse near the menstral cycle.
Anxiety is living in the future, Depression is living in the past.

taffy24

Post by taffy24 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 am

Where to you find Psyllium Husk in the raw form?

Ariyon

Post by Ariyon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:47 am

I got my natural psyllium at the regular drug store. It's called "Original Konsyl." Really helps the IBS.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”