herb 5 HTP

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
great2bmom

Post by great2bmom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:18 am

Hi! I saw a nurse practioner that believes in alternative medicine. She put me on 5 HTP and a probiotic for IBS. I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening and have done so for about 2 weeks. Well yesterday I weakened and went to my family doctor to see if I should go back on Zoloft. By the way, I picked up Lucinda's book on the way to the doctor's office and am totally inspired not to start the Zoloft. My question is this. The family doctor said I couldn't take the 5 HTP with Zoloft b/c Zoloft blocks a receptor and the 5 HTP releases it, or something like that. Does anyone know about 5 HTP? Is it okay to take with anxiety problems? I was wondering if it releases or opens a receptor, is that making the anxiety worse? I'm so confused. It definitely has helped my IBS but do you think it made my anxiety worse? Thanks for your help!!!

Believer08

Post by Believer08 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:31 am

I saw that one the vitamins Lucinda offers as a promotion with the program, they are called Good mood and they do have 5 htp in them. I have heard some great reviews from people who have taken 5 htp vitamins and it is fairly new to the medical profession as they rarely offer vitamins versus prescriptions. Zoloft made my anxiety worse but getting calm helped my IBS. I agree that you shouldn't take both the 5htp and the zoloft....its like giving an infant all the iron in their formula and then giving them an iron supplement...its too much and often does damage versus good. Have you tried to take any other anti anxiety meds not ssri's with your new vitamins?

great2bmom

Post by great2bmom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:49 am

Hi,

She put me on L-Theanine for the anxiety. Have you tried or heard of that?

Believer08

Post by Believer08 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:58 am

Yes its an ingredient found in green tea...its also one of the ingredients in Lucindas good mood vitamins. Have you seen them? Everything you are taking is in the vitamins. The reason I don't take the vitamins is because she put Ginseng in them. I don't need something to speed me up and it raised my blood pressure and hear rate....Doctor noted. It wasn't anxiety that did it.....

great2bmom

Post by great2bmom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:54 am

Where can I find this list of good vitamins?
Thanks!

Believer08

Post by Believer08 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:27 am

If you call the 800 number for this program they can transfer you there or inform you about them. I received a free bottle with this program and I did recycle them. There should have been a warning label on them about the ginseng. I believe it states that Lucinda designed the vitamins...so she is giving a 30 day free trial with the program...

great2bmom

Post by great2bmom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:34 am

Great, thanks. Have you looked into other places to find these vitamins? I don't think the ones I have have ginseng in them. I got them from a natural compounding pharmacy. I can give more information off the bottle if you are interested.

Herbalist Mom

Post by Herbalist Mom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:10 am

5htp cannot be taken w/ SSRI's It is a very effective mood stabalizer along w/ l -Theanine ! You also have to address the adrenal glands to reduce the adrenline response driven by anxiety. There are some excellent quality supplements that you can order direct from the co.
Let me know if I can help.
Herbalist Mom

Believer08

Post by Believer08 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:39 am

Great2bmom, My moods are great its just my coping when dealing with stress. I am working with my coping and that way I perceive things...that really is whats working for me. I do take a xanax as needed but only as a last resort tool.

Breaking the Clouds

Post by Breaking the Clouds » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 am

5-htp is good, if it works for you. The problem, according to a medical doctor, is that 5-htp cannot cross the barrier into the brain which is what SSRI's can do. I would say give the 5-htp an honest chance .. most of these things take about 4 weeks to notice a significant differences. I have tried all the alternative vitamins & herbs and for me they didn't work but I would say that's the first route to try.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”