School and Anxiety w/IBS

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
MzSonja

Post by MzSonja » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:17 am

I wanted to know if anyone worries needlessly about sitting in a classroom and fearing having a bout of anxiety or panicy which would cause them to have to get up and go to bathroom immediately.

If so.. do anyone have a suggestion to help this issue? I start on-campus classes next quarter because I have to take this issue on and not let it get the best of me.

Thanks for any help!
MzSonja

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:09 am

Hi MzSonja,
I just finished graduate school last year and sort of had this problem. I didn't worry about it needlessly, and this was before I started the program. My classes were in the evenings, so by the time I got home from work I would see if I had to relieve myself (I usually had to) and that would help. My main issues in class were cramping and gas feelings. But I never had to get up suddenly and go to the bathroom. I would take deep breaths and really try to relax my body and then just really concentrate on the lecture and what was going on in class to distract myself. That helped to.

Now that I have started this program (in week 6), my IBS issues have significantly improved. I also eat yogurt regularly, which has really helped me a lot.

I know IBS is a pain in the butt (no pun intended :) ). But everyone poops right? Just keep yourself positive and relaxed and enjoy the classes. You're doing a wonderful thing! :D

I hope I gave you some help!
Steph

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:52 am

Hi MzSonja,

I have gone through the same situation that you will soon be in. I was in university and taking many classes during the day and very afraid of

A) my intestinal/stomach gas noises being heard by my classmates
b) having an anxiety attack and having to run to the washroom

The tips I can provide that helped with this situation, is

i) try to relax in class and focus on the material being taught instead of your IBS symptoms. This will keep your worries and mind from over-thinking about IBS leading to further anxiety.

ii) before your classes start, go into the building earlier during the day, or even the day prior and ensure that you know where all the closest washrooms are. This will help you to relax because if you ever need a washroom, you know exactly where it is and how to get there asap.

Now back to me again, after i've done those tips i) and ii) that i provided above, i've never had to run to the washroom even though I had severe ibs. See my webpage for detailed info. Now you didnt mention about gas noises, but just in case, I normally bring granola bars to ensure my stomach noises subside when im munching on some food.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:57 pm

Thank you Steph & Kelly for your responses!
;)

I don't really have gas noises..but my main worry is that when I feel rumbles in my gut I get kind of tense (which doesn't help..I know), and the 'thought' of what could be next makes my anxiety act up more... I think I've developed over a small period of time, a weak muscle in that area, and I really have to relaxxxx and breathe calmly in order to control it.

I have to be very careful about what I eat too...nothing with wheat in it for sure!

Kelly..I did take a look a the website and saw some great info!! I went ahead and bought some Digestive Advantage to try, but have yet to start it. I take Celexa for Anxiety and Depression (due to the anxiety) and I hope they work okay together.

Sonja

ambernichole

Post by ambernichole » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:04 pm

Its great to hear that you're being proactive with some alternative meds MzSonja. I've yet to research that product however let me know how effective it is in minimizing your symptoms.

One recommendation i have for your anxiety is acupuncture, it worked wonders for my panic attacks and i no longer have them. I hope it has the same results for you too.

Take care,
Kelly

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Kelly, I totally agree w/you on the accupunture. It helped me tremendously along w/some herbs my dr made up for me specifically for anxiety. My anxiety went away until I had a major change in my life and then all heck broke loose. I am now on a better road and intend on going back to accupunture as I believe it does do wonders.

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Accupuncture sounds promising. Never tried it!

What about Hypnosis like with the "Positive Changes" organization?

Sonja

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”