Loss of appetite

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
jenniferm5103

Post by jenniferm5103 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:15 am

Does anyone feel that when hte anxiety hits they lose their appetite? I lose my appetite and then I get so fixed on losing my appetite that I get worked up. I keep trying to tell myself that if I quit obssesing about it it will eventually go away.
Any advice please?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:03 pm

i have this problem too. when i get anxious, i really don't feel like eating, but that's the worst thing to do, because when you don't eat it messes with your blood sugar levels and can make you feel dizzy or sick also-more triggers to a panic attack. sometimes you just have to make yourself eat and not think about it. it's the thinking that's making you anxious in the first place. try to distract yourself if it gets really bad-talk or move around and then come back to it. good luck!

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 am

I have this problem lately, although more related to being depressed. I'm having a real hard time eating. No appetite! Before it was just when i was really anxious, now all the time.
:(

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:58 am

I have this problem too. Cole is right, force yourself to eat. I try and busy myself with something and eat while I'm doing it. This takes the focus off of the eating. Make sense? I hope so. You're not alone in this.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:38 pm

I have the same problem regarding appetite. I too lose my appetite when I'm anxious. It also doesn't help that I'm also on the thin side so I worry about losing too much weight. Try eating small meals throughout the day until you feel like eating larger portions. Also, you may want to try protein shakes to get you by.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

I have this problem too. I get to the point of having my gag reflex turn on. It is a horrible feeling. What I've been doing lately is listening to a favorite song, I find the song distracts me from the anxiety and it passes. Also, a spoonful of peanut butter is loaded with protein.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:56 am

Oh boy i have had that. A few months ago it was really really bad. My husband was convinced i had an eating disorder. I even went to a phyiatrist and asked him but he said no it was just anxiety. And thats all it was. What helped me was first drinking ginger tea (i had nausea too). i think it just helped in the begining sipping on it to get some food in me. another thing was someone on this forum told me to eat just a little bit every hour throughout the day...and that was helpful because at least it helped with the worring. another thing is jello and things like that are easy to eat. Be patient with yourself it will come around.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:58 am

jugray,
great idea about the peanut butter. and i had the same thing with the gag reflex...i know exactly what you mean. that was tough but it will go away. What helped the most with that for me was just blowing it off and not letting it bother me. i know it sounds hard but it works.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:26 am

I'm so glad for this post. This is really stressing me right now. I've never had this problem before but now I have lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks. Now I'm underweight. I'm so freaked out about it that thinking about food makes me gag. I struggle with all or nothing thinking so I am scared that I am just going to waste away....

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:05 am

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Shaky Susie - I have this same problem with my A&D. Absolutely no appetite or I vomit what I eat. As for caloric intake, I drink stuff like Ensure, SlimFast, and take vitamins since I'm not/can't eat.

As for that spoon of peanut butter thing, I do that, too.</span>

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”