Noisy stomach, hate quiet places

Suffering from IBS? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
Isaiah41:10

Post by Isaiah41:10 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to overcome this situation. I'm a 26 year old male and whenever I get nervous my stomach makes loud embarrassing sounds. I dread being stuck in a quiet room full of people. However, I have to deal with this twice a week because I'm a student and need to go to class. I just recently had to take a test and my stomach wouldn't shut up. I could hardly concentrate on the test I was so anxious about my stomach making noises. It's not just classrooms though. Most social situations make me uneasy as well. I'm afraid to get involved in any kind of relationship because of my overactive stomach. Has anyone gone through this and recovered 100%? If you're out there I'd like to know what you did. Thanks.

RD terriers

Post by RD terriers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:56 pm

I've gone through it, and have recovered probably 90%.

A few things have helped me.

I have realized that certain things tend to irritate my stomach (ie, soda). Also, I try to time my meals when I know I am going to be in a quiet place. For example, I don't eat a big lunch and go right into a meeting.

Giving myself permission to leave the meeting, or lecture, or church anytime I need to to take care of my stomach takes a lot of presure on me- and therefore helps my stomach be more relaxed.

More importantly, I realized, it's know big deal. Everyone's stomach makes noise from time to time.

You'll be fine. Let me know if I can help.

RD terriers

Post by RD terriers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:58 pm

BTW,

Two bigs have helped me a lot:

Dying of Emabarrsment

Breaking the Bonds (of Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

cosmicpixie

Post by cosmicpixie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:33 pm

This is how my anxiety started. I would be in meetings at work and my stomach would make weird noises and people would make jokes about it. It is so bad now that every time I go into a quiet social setting, I am worried about what my stomach is going to do. To ease my stomach, I'll take a Pepto tablet or a Gas X tab and it does the trick. Your stomach will not make a noise! Unfortunately, I still have the anxiety though.

weeshcabob

Post by weeshcabob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:56 am

I have a boyfriend whose bowels are always in an uproar and I am constantly amazed and in awe of him. He has no qualms about his gut making noises or having to use the bathroom ASAP whenever we go anywhere. I would have died of embarrassment with the same problem. I admire him for his strength and although he wishes he didn't have the problem, he does not care what other people think. Just the fact that he doesn't care and is not embarrassed makes him all the more attractive to me.

xNatalie24x

Post by xNatalie24x » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:28 am

OMG! I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks this is an issue. I am not over reacting about it. It is ruining my life. I have enough problems without this added on. my stomach makes loud embarassing noise, all the time. Everything has to revolve around embarassment of my stomach. I even cant stand to sit in my staff room for my hour break because its torture. I have enough problems already without this. Have been just trying to put up with it for years. But enough is enough. There must be something you can do about it.

Emily__86

Re: Noisy stomach, hate quiet places

Post by Emily__86 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:18 pm

I used to have that problem. Not sure how or when it stopped, but I guess that shows that it really wasn't a big deal and that it could easily be overcome.

If you try not to think about it (haha, probably the worst seeming advice ever), it does help. The more you worry and obsess about it, the more it will happen and then you also are at risk of overreacting about it. Like maybe the way you hear it is 10x louder than it was for anyone else. Most people don't care, especially if you don't draw attention to yourself by looking really nervous about it.

And like someone else said, things like soda will most likely make that happen. Carbonated beverages or even sugary things, like juice or chewing gum can kinda get your stomach riled up.

Return to “Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)”